An offseason basketball thread

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stokes is a bit short for center I think. Gak and Hayes will share minutes there.
I think Insti was just trying to put each freshman in a different spot - at 6'8" Stokes is a PF, as is Bassett. But I get what he was trying to do - we have had plenty of 6'8" guys play the Center position for us over the years, but mostly out of necessity.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Stokes is a bit short for center I think. Gak and Hayes will share minutes there.

Certainly if Isaiah Stokes is a center he will be a Wes Unseld, Charles Barkely, Jarnell Stokes type center. I see this year's rotation to be one of two:

Rotation A with the starters listed first:

PG: Chiozza (30 min), Allen (10 min)
SG: Allen (15 min), Hudson (25 min)
SF: Stone (15 min), Koulechov (25 min)
PF: Hayes (25 min), Stone (10 min), Gak (5)
C: Egbunu (25 min), Gak (15 min)

Hayes would need to have developed an intermediate shot ala Alex Tyus or Al Horford, etc for this to be as effective a line up as it could be.

Alternatively, if Egbunu does not come back.

Rotation B:

PF: GradTranferX (25 min), Stone (10 min), Gak (5)
C: Hayes (25 min), Gak (15 min)

I am not sure who that is still out there UF is in on, but one has to think that if Egbunu is not coming back UF is still trying to replace some of his size.

Any of the frosh might compete for some of these minutes and earn them. Certainly in mop up situations and early season games until Egbunu is ready in rotation A the frosh will get some minutes. (A gator basketball guy I exchange private messages with from time to time is adamant that UF can not go into the 2018-19 season without Okauru getting some minutes at PG this year. He has a point, but I also think the Allen at PG experiment is likely.) I am not really sure Gak gets 5 minutes at the 4 four, maybe Bassett gets some minutes that way. Finally maybe UF ends up with Rotation B, but does not get another grad transfer and then most of those minutes must be claimed by Bassett, Johnson or Stokes?

If Egbunu does not come back and UF does not get another grad transfer big, I guess there could be a third scenario which I might call the Leefor3 rotation:

Rotation C:

PG: Chiozza (30 min), Okauru (10 min)
SG: Allen (30 min), Hudson (10 min)
SF: Hudson (15 min), Koulechov (25 min)
PF: Stone (25 min), Gak (10 min), Bassett (5 min)

I don't care for the 3 guard approach as I do not think it is the way to build a team to win the SEC and particularly the NCAA tourney.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Certainly if Isaiah Stokes is a center he will be a Wes Unseld, Charles Barkely, Jarnell Stokes type center. I see this year's rotation to be one of two:

Rotation A with the starters listed first:

PF: Hayes (25 min), Stone (10 min), Gak (5)
C: Egbunu (25 min), Gak (15 min)

Hayes would need to have developed an intermediate shot ala Alex Tyus or Al Horford, etc for this to be as effective a line up as it could be.

Alternatively, if Egbunu does not come back.

Rotation B:

PF: GradTranferX (25 min), Stone (10 min), Gak (5)

I am not sure who that is still out there UF is in on, but one has to think that if Egbunu is not coming back UF is still trying to replace some of his size.

Any of the frosh might compete for some of these minutes and earn them. Certainly in mop up situations and early season games until Egbunu is ready in rotation A the frosh will get some minutes. (A gator basketball guy I exchange private messages with from time to time is adamant that UF can not go into the 2018-19 season without Okauru getting some minutes at PG this year. He has a point, but I also think the Allen at PG experiment is likely.) I am not really sure Gak gets 5 minutes at the 4 four, maybe Bassett gets some minutes that way. Finally maybe UF ends up with Rotation B, but does not get another grad transfer and then most of those minutes must be claimed by Bassett, Johnson or Stokes?

If Egbunu does not come back and UF does not get another grad transfer big, I guess there could be a third scenario which I might call the Leefor3 rotation:

Rotation C:

PG: Chiozza (30 min), Okauru (10 min)
SG: Allen (30 min), Hudson (10 min)
SF: Hudson (15 min), Koulechov (25 min)
PF: Stone (25 min), Gak (10 min), Bassett (5 min)

I don't care for the 3 guard approach as I do not think it is the way to build a team to win the SEC and particularly the NCAA tourney.

I don't mind the 3 guard lineup with Hudson and Egor rotating at the 3. Those guys combined could give teams trouble as I think their styles are different enough. Now the issue would be can either of those guys play D.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think stokes will play next year and Allen's not gonna hinder Okauru's growth at pg. He's never gonna get alot of minutes there.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't think stokes will play next year and Allen's not gonna hinder Okauru's growth at pg. He's never gonna get alot of minutes there.

I agree that both White likes to redshirt someone each year and Stokes due to his injury is most likely to redshirt next season. I tend to agree about Allen not hindering Okauru's development, but I could see Allen getting 10 minutes a game, ie 5 minutes a half at PG.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think Insti was just trying to put each freshman in a different spot - at 6'8" Stokes is a PF, as is Bassett. But I get what he was trying to do - we have had plenty of 6'8" guys play the Center position for us over the years, but mostly out of necessity.

Eugene "The Dunkin' Machine!" McDowell!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps Egor loves his time at UF so much, he causes a stir among some of those 7 footers over there in Russia -- even in Ukraine - anywhere in Europe that he has extra tall acquaintances?

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Williams and Day would be great pickups. Add a solid PG to the class and we are looking great. Love the talent White is going after.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Robinson's NBA draft audition:

http://www.gainesville.com/sports/20170511/robinsons-nba-draft-audition

ormer Florida forward Devin Robinson is among 38 players taking part in 5-on-5 games during the combine.

By Kevin Brockway
Former Florida forward Devin Robinson is among 67 players taking part in the NBA draft combine in Chicago this weekend.

Whether the 6-foot-8 Robinson can improve his stock remains to be seen. Last month, Robinson decided to leave UF following his junior season and sign with agent Jason Glushon of the Glushon Sports Agency. Glushon also represents former Gator and current Boston Celtics standout center Al Horford.

Most draft websites project Robinson as a second-round pick in next month’s draft. The website Draftexpress.com has Robinson going 40th overall (10th pick, second round) in its latest mock draft.

Robinson is among 38 players taking part in 5-on-5 games during the combine, a list that includes former SEC players Sindarius Thornwell and P.J. Dozier of South Carolina and Isaiah Briscoe of Kentucky.

Robinson averaged 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds in his junior season at Florida. He helped his stock during UF’s run to the Elite Eight, scoring a career-high 24 points in UF’s opening NCAA Tournament win against East Tennessee State and posting a double-double (14 points, 11 rebounds) in a Round of 32 win over Virginia.

“Devin finally lived up to the potential based on the guy I saw in high school,” ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla said. “He obviously had his best season.”

Fraschilla said Robinson projects as a “3-and-d” guy at the next level, a small forward with a 6-11 wingspan athletic enough to guard shooting guards, small forwards and power forwards in the NBA.

“Let’s face it, if he makes 39 percent of his NBA 3s, like he did this year, he’s your prototypical NBA wing defender, role player,” Fraschilla said “He could stick on a team.”

Florida hasn’t had a player taken in the NBA draft since forward Erik Murphy was picked in the second round (49th overall) by the Chicago Bulls in the 2013 draft. Last year, Florida forward Dorian Finney-Smith went undrafted, but signed with the Dallas Mavericks as a free agent and made the NBA club out of training camp. Finney-Smith appeared in 81 games and made 35 starts in his rookie season, averaging 4.3 points and 2.7 rebounds.

ESPN college basketball analyst Jeff Goodman said he thinks Robinson has a good chance of breaking UF’s current draft drought. Fraschilla and Goodman are both covering the NBA combine this weekend for ESPN.

“Everything I’ve heard from NBA guys say he’s going to be a second-rounder,” Goodman said. “Where, I don’t know. But I think they’ve loved his upside, we’ve always liked his upside and finally you are starting to see the progression a little bit. He’s never been a go-to guy, but in the league that’s not going to be him, either. He’s got to be a guy who makes shots and defends, and he’s versatile. That will help him.”

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Williams and Day would be great pickups. Add a solid PG to the class and we are looking great. Love the talent White is going after.
Days is a Williston kid. I'm gonna do digging around and see .Last i heard he was liking usc but that was second hand and after he visited. He only played at williston his freshman year and Dominated . It was funny to see a 14 year old toy with a bunch of 1a seniors. But I'll get the scoop on him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just thought I'd post this human interest story, in case some humans should log in here? Just an update.

Taco Fall, UCF center, 7'6", 300 lbs. Born Senegal. Moved to U.S. when 16. Played soccer. In Houston played 1st organized BB as freshman (got some tutoring from Akeem Olajuwon). Moved to Tavares, Fl. Has played 2 years for UCF. Voted Defensive Player of the Year as sophomore. He's testing his place in the 2017 NBA Draft. By his videos, he should probably finish Jr. & Sr. years playing for UCF.

** In a a game vs the UC Irvine "Anteaters", Taco faced off vs fellow Senegalese C 7'6" tall. That was the tallest tip-off in the history of college basketball. Taco has improved a lot, being not so clumsy anymore. FG% = 71.5%, FT = 46.2%, 10.9 ppg, 9.5 rebs, 2.6 blks/g. He's a bit slow to react, but that's a great average of blocks. Just a soph and been playing BB only since 16 Y.O.

>>> Taco has a tall family - little brother was 5'9" at age 7. I'm sure li'l bro is diligently practicing BB at much younger age. Taco is smart = 3.6 gpa in Electrical Engineering. He's the opposite of a trouble-maker. So he's a hard worker that can't be distracted from his drive towards his life's goal = to be an Electrical Engineer for Siemens he says. So White should get with the UF "diversity dept" and get a couple of pretty & smart Senegalese girls and get them academic scholarships so they can befriend l'il bro for when he pursues CBB as a Florida recruit, following Taco's lead. Both Taco & l'il bro live in Taveres, Fl, with adoptive American parents. G-ville is just an hour away from "home". Both boys are "shy" due to cultural dissonance. Taco went to UCF because he wanted to live at home to be around adoptive parents, familiar things. So White should consider that and make sure that the religious adoptive parents approve of UF & Gainesville. Be great for UF to have a 7'X" center who has been playing American school BB since age 7.??= l'il brother.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just thought I'd post this human interest story, in case some humans should log in here? Just an update.

Taco Fall, UCF center, 7'6", 300 lbs. Born Senegal. Moved to U.S. when 16. Played soccer. In Houston played 1st organized BB as freshman (got some tutoring from Akeem Olajuwon). Moved to Tavares, Fl. Has played 2 years for UCF. Voted Defensive Player of the Year as sophomore. He's testing his place in the 2017 NBA Draft. By his videos, he should probably finish Jr. & Sr. years playing for UCF.

** In a a game vs the UC Irvine "Anteaters", Taco faced off vs fellow Senegalese C 7'6" tall. That was the tallest tip-off in the history of college basketball. Taco has improved a lot, being not so clumsy anymore. FG% = 71.5%, FT = 46.2%, 10.9 ppg, 9.5 rebs, 2.6 blks/g. He's a bit slow to react, but that's a great average of blocks. Just a soph and been playing BB only since 16 Y.O.

>>> Taco has a tall family - little brother was 5'9" at age 7. I'm sure li'l bro is diligently practicing BB at much younger age. Taco is smart = 3.6 gpa in Electrical Engineering. He's the opposite of a trouble-maker. So he's a hard worker that can't be distracted from his drive towards his life's goal = to be an Electrical Engineer for Siemens he says. So White should get with the UF "diversity dept" and get a couple of pretty & smart Senegalese girls and get them academic scholarships so they can befriend l'il bro for when he pursues CBB as a Florida recruit, following Taco's lead. Both Taco & l'il bro live in Taveres, Fl, with adoptive American parents. G-ville is just an hour away from "home". Both boys are "shy" due to cultural dissonance. Taco went to UCF because he wanted to live at home to be around adoptive parents, familiar things. So White should consider that and make sure that the religious adoptive parents approve of UF & Gainesville. Be great for UF to have a 7'X" center who has been playing American school BB since age 7.??= l'il brother.

Not sure if either of those guys fit an uptempo pace like White wants to play.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see Dotson on the list above - is he 'out of our league'?
Weaver would be a great PG pickup, but he's trending to Nova. He's from the same HS as Bassett and Hester. Wonder if Hester's transfer has an impact on Weaver's opinion of us.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I don't see Dotson on the list above - is he 'out of our league'?
Weaver would be a great PG pickup, but he's trending to Nova. He's from the same HS as Bassett and Hester. Wonder if Hester's transfer has an impact on Weaver's opinion of us.

I think Dotson is all in on Kansas. Might as well try someone else, but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the moon. Any news on Bassett? People were thinking he might call it a career due to injury?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, somebody should make sure Egor meets UF tennis player, Anna Danelina from Moscow. Their hometowns are only 609 miles apart. So best to phone her at UF. Her BB game attendance might make him play fiercer.?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if either of those guys fit an uptempo pace like White wants to play.

Well as a sophomore Taco won his conference's Defensive Player of the Year? L'il Brother is our target and like Taco he may idolize star soccer players and be running all over local soccer fields. Brother may be playing both; does Soccer season overlap any real sports season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.