Appleby Led Offensives

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Appleby is something like 2-9 as a starter. He also has attempted about 490 passes in college games and completed about 270 of them for about 2800 yards etc. This is well documented. But what struck me looking at his game by game figures was how much his offenses scored.

In 2015 Appleby played in 5 games and in those games Purdue scored 149 points for a 29.8 points per game average. Overall he played a significant amount in 13 games in which Purdue scored 333 points for a 25.6 points per game average.

My guess is that IF Appleby leads UF to 30 points on Saturday, UF will be in pretty good shape unless Appleby has a complete turnover meltdown. It took more than 30 points to win a year ago, but I suspect this defense will tackle this time and will not give up 30 points to UTn.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt either of us hit 30 pts unless there are a few turnovers going on.

If Appleby has no more than 1 interception I think 24 pts will win the game for us.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I have my doubts the big guy has the touch for anything over 10 yards. Dobbs is over 60 percent for 5 yard throws and 40 pct for throws of 11+ yards. Appleby missed that throw over the middle to the wide open receiver and it was overthrown by about 5 yards After going 1-6 at Purdue ("Appleby went 1-6 as the starter... He completed 144 of 272 for 1,449 yards and 10 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.") he was going to be benched for his backup. After riding into Florida to a team desperate for a QB he gets beaten out by another vagabond non starter. I say go with a Freshman.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When they did yank Appleby the other guy didnt fare any better I think and he was put back in later in the season. Just trying to be optimistic here. Mac has probably helped him out some. No QB at Purdue was hardly winning games while he was there.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have a nervousness about AA as well. But given his time at Purdue he probably did not have the coaching nor the talent he has now. Just do not try to win it on your own. This team has shown it does not need a Hero at QB. Be smart, use your legs if need be, and throw to the guy in the same color jersey. The game plan for AA should be simple.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have my doubts the big guy has the touch for anything over 10 yards. Dobbs is over 60 percent for 5 yard throws and 40 pct for throws of 11+ yards. Appleby missed that throw over the middle to the wide open receiver and it was overthrown by about 5 yards After going 1-6 at Purdue ("Appleby went 1-6 as the starter... He completed 144 of 272 for 1,449 yards and 10 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.") he was going to be benched for his backup. After riding into Florida to a team desperate for a QB he gets beaten out by another vagabond non starter. I say go with a Freshman.
I wouldn't necessarily start a freshmen under the circumstances however I would have Trask standing next to me with his helmet on if I were the coach....UT over the last few years tends to start off kinda slow and then generally plays their best in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th quarters. We can't afford to be down by more than 10-14 points at any point in this game being on the road especially before halftime. If we are Trask needs to put in at least for a couple of series to see how he plays.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I'm not worried. Ohio made Tennessee's oline look like Swiss cheese. Our defense is going to eat them up. I really don't see UT scoring more than 14 points on us unless we have about 4 meltdowns at our goal line. I think Appleby we move the ball and score easier than what we've seen.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looking for actual quote, but fwiw Mac says they won't change approach to offense. Run to set up play action.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm going to go into this game with an open mind.. Hopefully AA realizes the importance of this game and studies film harder than he ever has.

I'm not gonna judge to much into his missed throws the other night because it was obvious he wqsnt prepared to play.

Short and intermediate routes will be key.. Complete those and establish the run and we will be fine on offense.. If I'm Tenn I'm more worried about the fact we are for sure missing two key defensive players and maybe a 3rd. Without Sutton they have no one to cover Callaway.. Get him going across the middle and let him make YAC.

I think Appleby legs will be an x factor. The guy can move the pocket which Del Rio cant... Appleby just has to realize that this is Florida not purdue.. You don't have to force the ball.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby will probably be fine as long as he doesn't pass the ball. If he does, there are some cars in the parking lot that are going to be very sorry.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't necessarily start a freshmen under the circumstances however I would have Trask standing next to me with his helmet on if I were the coach....
This was what I was going to reply to King. If we didn't have Appleby, whoever he is and becomes as a Gator, then certainly the freshman. But you've got to think that his game experience can count for something, even if it is just managing the offense and hitting the safe routes. Turnover potential is a little daunting, but I think Mac is following the cookbook on this one as he should. Trask and Felipe, at the least, should benefit with the additional reps they'll get this week and beyond.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
A few things to consider for this game. First off a lot of posters commenting how good our defense is and they're correct....however consider how much the OFFENSE under Del Rio has had to do with that. We haven't trailed at any point so far this season, We have not gone 3 and out repeatedly gassing our defense. We have consistently moved the ball allowing the defense to rest and also allowing our punter to pin our opponents pretty deep We have not played anybody who had ANY threat of completing a pass further than 6-8 yards down the field. Our safeties are un tested so far and have been late a few times on plays that could have been huge. These are all things that will have to remain in effect for us to win at UT and further down the line.

We are a better than average defense for certain, probably a top 10-15 but we are not the 1985 Chicago Bears either. We are also not effective enough at this point to hammer a real SEC defense using only our running game while hoping to complete a few passes. We have to be able to consistently complete short to intermediate passes to manipulate a defense. In other words hurry back Del Rio.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
100% agree, they shut down university ave. During games this year just in case Appleby had to play.
Appleby will probably be fine as long as he doesn't pass the ball. If he does, there are some cars in the parking lot that are going to be very sorry.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

And if we dont pass the ball, they will load the box and contain the run. He must be able to pass.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This article on AA isn't that confidence inspiring. He was benched at Purdue, that's all there is to it.
Appleby opened 2015 under center at Marshall and threw four interceptions. He was benched two games later and did not return to the field until two games remained in the season, losing at Iowa.

During six starts on the road at Purdue he was 1-5, with seven touchdown passes and 11 interceptions.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...appleby-eager-opportunity-20160918-story.html

Let's just hope our defense and running game is on fire.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Trask and Felipe, at the least, should benefit with the additional reps they'll get this week and beyond.
I think it's Important to mention that. For one knees are a funny thing. Del Rio could come back in a couple of weeks and find out his knee really wasn't ready or worse yet, injure it more severely. We also know that Appleby is prone to tucking the ball and running so for all we know he could get banged up himself.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.