Appleby Led Offensives

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Things I like that favor us, IMO:

(1) Our DL has done a great job so far this season of being disciplined and collapsing the pocket from all directions. Dobbs will find it very hard to run.

(2) Appleby will get 3 or 4 first downs running to keep drives going.

(3) If the offense stalls, we have long-range Eddy.

(4) We only have to play at somewhere near the level we have been playing to beat ToothlessNation. They would have to really improve on their year-to-date performance to beat us.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I think we keep ut under 17 and we win. With Sutton and possibly Reeves-Maben out we should have a good shot at establishing both the ground game and passing game. Mac has great route concepts to confuse defenses and we will look to exploit the CB replacing Sutton. I know AA is the backup but I also look for some designed QB runs. AA is athletic and pretty big at 240 lbs or dare I say run a few QB runs w' Trask, maybe RPO's...

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby 12-19 157 yards 1 TD 4 rush, 14 yards
Thompson 7 carries 25 yards
Scarlett 16 carries 71 yards 1 TD
Cronkrite 8 carries 37 yards 2 rec 25 yards
Perine 11 carries 55 yards 1TD 1 rec 20 yards
Callaway 4 rec, 72 yards 1TD

Gators win 24-20

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
A few things to consider for this game. First off a lot of posters commenting how good our defense is and they're correct....however consider how much the OFFENSE under Del Rio has had to do with that. We haven't trailed at any point so far this season, We have not gone 3 and out repeatedly gassing our defense. We have consistently moved the ball allowing the defense to rest and also allowing our punter to pin our opponents pretty deep We have not played anybody who had ANY threat of completing a pass further than 6-8 yards down the field. Our safeties are un tested so far and have been late a few times on plays that could have been huge. These are all things that will have to remain in effect for us to win at UT and further down the line.

We are a better than average defense for certain, probably a top 10-15 but we are not the 1985 Chicago Bears either. We are also not effective enough at this point to hammer a real SEC defense using only our running game while hoping to complete a few passes. We have to be able to consistently complete short to intermediate passes to manipulate a defense. In other words hurry back Del Rio.
Here's what we have that we didn't have last year: 1. A more experienced, solidified o-line and 2. Depth on the o-line and d-line. That depth will be key if the offense can't move the ball consistently.

Last year would've been a blowout if not for that no-call on the fumble and 2 trick plays. I don't expect the tackling to be as atrocious as it was either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just give Appleby a chance. We will find a way to win. He limits himself to 1 interception while we get 2 turnovers from alien boy.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Gators win 24-20

I doubt they can score 20 on us.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Let's give Appleby a chance folks. I hear "trust the coaches" all the time and they have AA as the back up. If that's their guy how can anyone scream for Trask? I don't get it.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I think we keep ut under 17 and we win. With Sutton and possibly Reeves-Maben out we should have a good shot at establishing both the ground game and passing game. Mac has great route concepts to confuse defenses and we will look to exploit the CB replacing Sutton. I know AA is the backup but I also look for some designed QB runs. AA is athletic and pretty big at 240 lbs or dare I say run a few QB runs w' Trask, maybe RPO's...

Trask isnt really that mobile man...

You guys get lost in the fact that he had a red shirt on during the Spring Game. I can count numerous times where he would have been killed by LB's/DL in that game

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Gators win 24-20
We need NCAAF for Playstation and Xbox again so we can have these things predicted for us :lol:

GatorRaz

Dec 12, 2014
Trask isnt really that mobile man...

You guys get lost in the fact that he had a red shirt on during the Spring Game. I can count numerous times where he would have been killed by LB's/DL in that game

However, he can move better than LDR. Mac is gonna throw a surprise in somewhere, don't you think?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
However, he can move better than LDR. Mac is gonna throw a surprise in somewhere, don't you think?

I wonder if we are struggling running near the goal line if he might let Appleby try and run it in. He ran quite a few in for TDs at Purdue.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We knew with this offensive line at some point we would see AA start... it happened earlier than most of us expected. He is brought in for a reason. He has come in cold in two games. Through I don't think he is special, he isn't what we had last year either. He is a quarterback whose skill set fits our offense better.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

I wouldnt do it. I dont want to see any freshman in this game.

We dont have to do that ****; TN defense isnt that good. Line up, blow their asses off the ball, and establish our downhill running game.

Going to gimmicks can lead to stupid TOs

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
30 points? We've only scored 30 points 5 times in the McElwain era. Except for the Ole Miss game, all of those 30+ outings have come against cupcakes (including this year's Kentucky).

I said this before: Appleby played WITH Purdue talent and had Purdue coaching when he was at Purdue. He will be playing WITH Florida talent and Florida coaching on Saturday. If you think he'll perform just like he did at Purdue then you have little faith in our talent level and our coaching.

He just needs to "manage the game" (I know, cliché) and not turn the ball over. If we have 1 or less turnovers I think we'll be fine offensively. This game is likely VERY low scoring....something like 20-17.

GatorRaz

Dec 12, 2014
I wouldnt do it. I dont want to see any freshman in this game.

We dont have to do that ****; TN defense isnt that good. Line up, blow their asses off the ball, and establish our downhill running game.

Going to gimmicks can lead to stupid TOs
AA ran quite a bit at Perdue. I agree w' you. I do think we will see a freshman qb in the game at some point. I hope Trask and Franks don't see the field this season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we roll with applebee, he just needs to be Grayson lambert. That's best I think we can hope for.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's give Appleby a chance folks. I hear "trust the coaches" all the time and they have AA as the back up. If that's their guy how can anyone scream for Trask? I don't get it.

Agree. He's getting coached by the great Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeir. I thought we "trust the coaches". Well, I hope McElwain and Nussmeir are 10 times the coaches he had at Purdue! I think AA will be fine. He nearly won the job in fall camp! And other than Kentucky (who even New Mexico State beats up on) Del Rio hasn't exactly lit it up. Look at his most recent game vs. 1-11 North Texas.

Also, when AA came into the game he was playing behind 4 backup OL's. Give him a chance! Trask is NOT the answer here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.