Appleby Led Offensives

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
If AA leads us to 30 points, we win 30-7. I trust our Defense and I trust Mac to ensure we have a winning game plan. How sweet will it be to extend that streak to 12! Then we will put out a Go Fund me page to help "rebuild" the Tennessee program, because every one of those bricks fell down......again

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I doubt it.

Why? Because Del Rio is so much better? I don't doubt it. I read what the players had to say about AA and they were high on him and made comments such as "whoever wins the job we'll be in good shape...." That tells me even the players didn't know who was going to be #1. I think Del Rio got the nod simply because of his past relationship w/ the coaches and that he'd been on campus for a full year. But go ahead and "doubt it".

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
30 points? We've only scored 30 points 5 times in the McElwain era. Except for the Ole Miss game, all of those 30+ outings have come against cupcakes (including this year's Kentucky).

I said this before: Appleby played WITH Purdue talent and had Purdue coaching when he was at Purdue. He will be playing WITH Florida talent and Florida coaching on Saturday. If you think he'll perform just like he did at Purdue then you have little faith in our talent level and our coaching.

He just needs to "manage the game" (I know, cliché) and not turn the ball over. If we have 1 or less turnovers I think we'll be fine offensively. This game is likely VERY low scoring....something like 20-17.
He threw 4 interceptions last year against Marshall. Yes, Marshall.....not exactly the 85 Bears.

He needs to pass as little as possible. Turnovers are the one thing we cannot afford.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He threw 4 interceptions last year against Marshall. Yes, Marshall.....not exactly the 85 Bears.

He needs to pass as little as possible. Turnovers are the one thing we cannot afford.

So you think very little of our talent level and coaches. Good to know.

I do agree that he needs to be limited on his passes. But they can't call the game like they did w/ Treon either (run, run, and pass on 3rd and long every series). They need to work in some manageable passing plays or we'll see UT crowd the line and do what every team did to us the last 2 years w/ Harris at QB. He'll need to throw the ball 20 or so times for our offense to work or be effective.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He nearly won the job in fall camp!
Personally, I don't think was ever even considered to be the starter, regardless of what coachspeak came out about it. He was brought here for depth.

With his hideous career at Purdue, if he was actually brought here with the thinking that he may actually start I would really question what the coaches were thinking. Yes BMF, I would question the coaches.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know what u guys are panicking about. Pretty sure we can get to at least the 50 on every drive. Guaranteed 30 points from Eddy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Personally, I don't think was ever even considered to be the starter, regardless of what coachspeak came out about it. He was brought here for depth.

With his hideous career at Purdue, if he was actually brought here to start I would really question what the coaches were thinking.

Then why not just go w/ a freshman?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im having trouble following a bit. Let me see if I have it:

1. LDR was All State in HS and three star. He sucks bc he didnt start at Bama and didnt want to run the option at Oregon St. He looked good in the Spring Game but only bc he was playing with the 1 offense vs the 2s and walkon defense. He sucks and Mac cant coach him up.

2. AA was a standout in HS, a four star recruit, and an elite 11 QB who has played some in D1 but he sucks bc didnt play well enough behind a terrible OL on a terrible team. He struggled against our #1 defense playing behind or 2nd string OL and walkons and throwing to #2 anf walkon receivers wearing 35-39 in the Spring Game Mac cant coach him up;

3. Feleipe was an all state QB, a four star, an elite 11 QB. He played poorly against the #1 defense playing behind our 2s and walkon OL throwing to our backup Wrs and walkons wearing 35-39 in the SG. It is embarrassing that Mac complimented him on the deep out td pass late in the SG bc it was against backups. Mac cant coach him up.

4. Trash was fourth team all county (maybe) in middle school. He was the man in Seventh Grade I suspect. He didnt play in HS bc his coach sucked except that the coach won a lot. Trash played well behind #1 offense against #2 and walkon defense. He was a great addition bc Mac knows QB talent when he sees it, unless Mac plays the first three QBs then he is an idiot. It doesnt matter that Trash didnt even play in HS (and adjust to the speed of THAT game)bc Mac will coach him up.

Does that about cover the GSMB groupthink position?

What is going to happen on this board if Mac trots out Feleipe if AA twists and ankle or plays poorly? Firemac.com?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Don't know what u guys are panicking about. Pretty sure we can get to at least the 50 on every drive. Guaranteed 30 points from Eddy.

They better let him kick this week. McElwain needs to stop getting cute inside the redzone! I know he felt there was no chance we'd lose to NT so he went for it, but all he did was lower our O's confidence in getting those 4th and short's (by getting stuffed by North Texas' piddly D-line).

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Why? Because Del Rio is so much better? I don't doubt it. I read what the players had to say about AA and they were high on him and made comments such as "whoever wins the job we'll be in good shape...." That tells me even the players didn't know who was going to be #1. I think Del Rio got the nod simply because of his past relationship w/ the coaches and that he'd been on campus for a full year. But go ahead and "doubt it".

Trust me, I want to be wrong really bad. Im pulling for him big time. I just dont believe it was that close. Remember the Grier / Harris neck and neck talk?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I am sick of the whining. AA is our guy for Saturday. McElwain and Nussmeir are still our coaches. It is what it is and no amount of hand wringing is going to change that. Get on board, support the team or find someplace else to do your crying. It's GO time. Goooooo Gators.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Trust me, I want to be wrong really bad. Im pulling for him big time. I just dont believe it was that close. Remember the Grier / Harris neck and neck talk?

Yes, agree w/ you on the "coach speak"....but even as AA said, he had opportunities to go elsewhere and chose UF. I think he was a very close 2nd. And honestly, Del Rio has not been impressive (other than against UK's crap defense that just gave up 42 to New Mexico State). I expect AA to perform about like Del Rio has performed in the UMass & NT games vs. UT, but UT's D is better than both of those teams. I think he throws a pick, but I think Del Rio would have thrown a pick too. I like that AA can run w/ the ball. And lastly....I think our coaches will have a plan. I don't think they'll put him in a position to lose this game. UT has played like sh*t this year and they will be tight coming into this game. If we rattle them early w/ our D, I like our chances on offense (to get enough points to win).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They better let him kick this week. McElwain needs to stop getting cute inside the redzone! I know he felt there was no chance we'd lose
That was exactly the thought process. He was rotating bigeaters at RG and wanted the reps to see who does better in a real game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am sick of the whining. AA is our guy for Saturday. McElwain and Nussmeir are still our coaches. It is what it is and no amount of hand wringing is going to change that. Get on board, support the team or find someplace else to do your crying. It's GO time. Goooooo Gators.

Who was whining?

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
There is an interesting fact about Appleby. At Purdue, he beat out Danny Etling for the starting QB job. Etling transferred to LSU and sat out a year. He is now their starting QB and beat Miss State 23-20. I don't know whether this puts Appleby in a better light or simply makes the Purdue coaches look really bad for being unable to develop two Elite 11 QBs. I think the QB question will be answered on the football field rather than online.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_b7b6ddc4-dbdd-50e6-99e9-5155e0a6a369.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.