Are you ready for Charlie Strong?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I thought this topic deserved its own thread...

With CS sitting a mere 2 hours away from the Swamp, and IF the new AD is ready to go in a different direction in a year or two, is CS your #1 or maybe Top 3 pick for UF's next HC?

Yes, he underwhelmed at texas, but...

-He's back in the state he recruits with the most success (and he will re-establish those recruiting ties).

-Unlike our last DC/HC, he doesn't have forwardpassophobia.

CS's coaching acumen has been debated here before, but many are jumping off the Mac train...

Thoughts?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It depends on how he does in his first year at USF, but with the success he had at Louisville, I think he should at least be considered.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think CS has proved himself an effective HC. He won at Louisville because Bridgewater was
the kind of QB "winning things" fall into place around. Hell, didn't he lead his NFL team well as a rookie?
Charlie should have won big at Texas if he had real HC talent. USF is primed like Louisville to win.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well,

1. I think UF has tried the DC as head coach enough.

2. I did not think Strong was a particularly head coaching prospect at UL, but he did surprisingly well.

3. My opinion did not change when he went to UTx, but there he did worse than I expected.

A more interesting question to me would be if he has great success at FAU would Lane Kiffen be of interest to UF?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
With CS sitting a mere 2 hours away from the Swamp, and IF the new AD is ready to go in a different direction in a year or two, is CS your #1 or maybe Top 3 pick for UF's next HC?
Holy shiiit. Really?

I guess we just hire whatever losing coach is available?

CS resume is "I beat Mushchimp". At the time, people thought that meant something. Now, pretty much everyone but Bytch Jones has done it. Hell, CS lost to losing Marshall while at Loovulle WITH Teddy Bridgewater.

CS is a Gator in my mind and I'd pay him Bammer coordinator money to have him back for his recruiting skills, but he isn't HC material.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WTF is wrong with people!?!
post-22569-A-person-is-smart-People-are-d-Mjfk.gif

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Charlie is capable of running a major program, hence his failure at Texas. Louisville was his nirvana.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think CS has proved himself an effective HC. He won at Louisville because Bridgewater was
the kind of QB "winning things" fall into place around. Hell, didn't he lead his NFL team well as a rookie?
Charlie should have won big at Texas if he had real HC talent. USF is primed like Louisville to win.

You can say the same thing about Meyer having Tebow. Charlie walked into a dumpster fire at Texas. Now, I don't know if I would hire him as head coach here. But if Mac ultimately fails and Strong does well at USF? Go after him. Dude can recruit and shown he can coach.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Holy shiiit. Really?

I guess we just hire whatever losing coach is available?

CS resume is "I beat Mushchimp". At the time, people thought that meant something. Now, pretty much everyone but Bytch Jones has done it. Hell, CS lost to losing Marshall while at Loovulle WITH Teddy Bridgewater.

CS is a Gator in my mind and I'd pay him Bammer coordinator money to have him back for his recruiting skills, but he isn't HC material.

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm not declaring CS a can't-miss. I'm just curious about people's opinions, especially considering the natives are getting restless. I truly apologize for introducing a topic for discussion. Perhaps I should try it somewhere other than a message board? Come to think of it, Ox is probably furious with me and I can expect a 2 week vacation any moment now.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If he starts winning 10-12 games a year at USF then sure.

He will the first year as they are already set for the coming season.

Not sold on him as a HC. I think that QB at Louisville helped make him look better than he was.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think Kiffin is an interesting prospect for HC. If he does an outstanding job at FAU, along with his HC experience and his experience under Carroll and Saban, I think he could do a much better job than McElwain.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Love Charlie and wish he would've stayed as a DC for us forever, but he failed miserably at Texas and I think that job is much easier than UF. I wish him the best, but he's not a top tier HC and our next hire needs to be the RIGHT HIRE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.