Are you ready for Charlie Strong?

deuce

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
No one here has any idea what the new AD is thinking or will do. It's all a crap shoot now.

I don't think CS will do as well as Tag at USF........ People have game film now and will not be surprised by their mobile QB..

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
... I don't think another defensive guy should even be considered. We have to get back to who we are.

With the part about Saban taken out, I agree completely. I particularly agree with the part about getting back to who UF is.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
NO! I love Strong but he's a meh coach. One thing that I agree with on the negators like law is if/when we get rid of Mac, it has to be a home run hire, and Strong is not a home run hire.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
If he starts winning 10-12 games a year at USF then sure.

With the talent at USF and the surrounding areas, in their conference there is no excuse for a couch to have at least 9 wins a year. Their conference is weak, and the University is surrounded by talent. Even if it is the left overs from UF and FSU they should be almost twice as talented as most of their competition.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
If we're going after former coordinators, I'd rather have cousin Eddie. I'm not a fan of his either but why does Charlie get more love than him on here?

Strong's history, and love for the university. Strong has been a gator since under Galen Hall, Cousin eddie was here for 3 years?

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
Texas is one bad 4th down call away from being completely irrelevant in our life time. I think you(and many others) are assigning way too much value to the job that it has become, not to mention the mess Brown left.

But again, if he were to have a great run at USF, it would mean that he's improved tremendously as a HC and his resume would now include 2 highly successful stops, and one bad stint at a place that was in bad shape when he got there. In that case, assuming we're looking, I'd be open to it. Only then.

Sofla, I agree Texas is a mess and was a bad choice for Strong to make. But Strong being a good coach, isn't a top 5 coach. He is a P5 coach, but his personality isn't a top 5 coach. USF will be a good stop, Louisville was a great place for him. There are a number of SEC schools where his personality and his ability would make have them competing. But his personality, isn't a fit for the top tier Universities.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Sofla, I agree Texas is a mess and was a bad choice for Strong to make. But Strong being a good coach, isn't a top 5 coach. He is a P5 coach, but his personality isn't a top 5 coach. USF will be a good stop, Louisville was a great place for him. There are a number of SEC schools where his personality and his ability would make have them competing. But his personality, isn't a fit for the top tier Universities.

I need to understand how his personality isn't a good fit for a top university.

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Zook has a long history with UF too. Why shouldn't we just bring him back ? I just don't get some of you guys at all.

EuroGator

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
No. I don't believe Charlie Strong can be a successful head coach at UF.

No to Lane Kiffin too.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
I need to understand how his personality isn't a good fit for a top university.

To be a top CEO at a top end College Football program takes certain personality traits. I don't believe Strong has them. He is a good football coach, and a better man. I would be happy to have him coach my child. But the public/political side of the job would and has worn a man like him down.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
To be a top CEO at a top end College Football program takes certain personality traits. I don't believe Strong has them. He is a good football coach, and a better man. I would be happy to have him coach my child. But the public/political side of the job would and has worn a man like him down.
Couldn't agree more...Same with Mac, despite my current distain for him he's probably a decent coordinator, position coach or even a HC at a MAC school or something like that. Frank Stolich was run the hell out of Nebraska but didn't he do pretty well at a smaller school....Very few guys have what it takes to be the head of a major CFB program like UF, UT, ND, Bama and such....

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member

What traits do you think he lacks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.