Are you ready for Charlie Strong?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If a coach has been fired before, scratch him of my list.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If a coach has been fired before, scratch him of my list.

Eh, not sure I'd go that far. While I agree somewhat with that criteria, that would've taken guys like Spurrier and Carrol off the table. Sometimes it's the circumstances and timing. The way I see it, Charlie is 1-1. He did well at Louisville and failed in a really tough setting in Austin. If he does well at Usf, I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving him a shot down the line.

I agree with the others that--at present--he is not what we need. But I'd also argue that we'd be in better shape today if we'd hired him in 2013, as opposed to continuing the failed experiment and then following that up with 3 years of subpar recruiting.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Eh, not sure I'd go that far. While I agree somewhat with that criteria, that would've taken guys like Spurrier and Carrol off the table. Sometimes it's the circumstances and timing. The way I see it, Charlie is 1-1. He did well at Louisville and failed in a really tough setting in Austin. If he does well at Usf, I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving him a shot down the line.

I agree with the others that--at present--he is not what we need. But I'd also argue that we'd be in better shape today if we'd hired him in 2013, as opposed to continuing the failed experiment and then following that up with 3 years of subpar recruiting.
Failed nfl coaches don't really count imo. The NFL is a different monster. Failing at place like Texas is catastrophic. They had all the same problems we have and he couldn't fix it. Unless Nick Saban wants to coach here, I don't think another defensive guy should even be considered. We have to get back to who we are.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Strong's more proven than Mac and would amount to an upgrade. He'd obviously need to get a solid coordinator on offense to make it work, and I think he would. The guy can recruit and, yes, he can coach. His presence at Louisville translated to an immediate upgrade in recruiting as well as 11-2 and 12-1 records in 2012 and 2013. And let's not forget, the Florida team he beat was ranked #3 in the nation coming into the Sugar Bowl. You can't say that doesn't demonstrate an ability to assemble talent or coach. He can. Texas was a poor fit and it showed. I consider that more an anomaly.

But there's a bigger point here. The guy who's really ripe for the picking is Petrino. He's recruited better than Strong at Louisville and gotten better results out of the gate in spite of a more difficult schedule in the ACC and including a couple games against SEC opponents.

Therefore, I propose UF go totally avant-garde if/when Mac is let go and hire Petrino and Strong as co-head coaches, Petrino in charge of the offense, Strong the defense, and get somebody, maybe a bank janitor, to coach special teams. We'll send Saban's butt back to Ohio for good.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we're going after former coordinators, I'd rather have cousin Eddie. I'm not a fan of his either but why does Charlie get more love than him on here?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But there's a bigger point here. The guy who's really ripe for the picking is Petrino. He's recruited better than Strong at Louisville and gotten better results out of the gate in spite of a more difficult schedule in the ACC and including a couple games against SEC opponents.
I'd take Petrino, but I like Brohm more at the moment. Both have explosive offenses.... and have putrid defenses. They'd have to understand the need to bring in an elite DC and turnover the keys.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we're going after former coordinators, I'd rather have cousin Eddie. I'm not a fan of his either but why does Charlie get more love than him on here?
Uhhh.... maybe because one actually fielded good teams.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Failed nfl coaches don't really count imo. The NFL is a different monster. Failing at place like Texas is catastrophic. They had all the same problems we have and he couldn't fix it. Unless Nick Saban wants to coach here, I don't think another defensive guy should even be considered. We have to get back to who we are.

Texas is one bad 4th down call away from being completely irrelevant in our life time. I think you(and many others) are assigning way too much value to the job that it has become, not to mention the mess Brown left.

But again, if he were to have a great run at USF, it would mean that he's improved tremendously as a HC and his resume would now include 2 highly successful stops, and one bad stint at a place that was in bad shape when he got there. In that case, assuming we're looking, I'd be open to it. Only then.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'd take Petrino, but I like Brohm more at the moment. Both have explosive offenses.... and have putrid defenses. They'd have to understand the need to bring in an elite DC and turnover the keys.

Kingsbury says hi

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd take Petrino, but I like Brohm more at the moment. Both have explosive offenses but both have putrid defenses. They'd have to understand the need to bring in an elite DC.

I can't imagine Petrino coming here not understanding that or not being able to implement it considering the amount of defensive talent there is in the state. I think he'd be dynamic at Florida. I also think he's too tainted by Florida standards to EVER be seriously considered.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Texas is one bad 4th down call away from being completely irrelevant in our life time. I think you(and many others) are assigning way too much value to the job that it has become, not to mention the mess Brown left.
Maybe, but wouldn't the coaches at 110 other Div 1 A teams laugh at the thought of Texas and Florida complaining about having a rough road?

You don't fail at Texas and get a job like Florida.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but wouldn't the coaches at 110 other Div 1 A teams laugh at the thought of Texas and Florida complaining about having a rough road?

You don't fail at Texas and get a job like Florida.

That's not a bet I think I would make if Mac goes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

But again, if he were to have a great run at USF, it would mean that he's improved tremendously as a HC and his resume would now include 2 highly successful stops, and one bad stint at a place that was in bad shape when he got there. In that case, assuming we're looking, I'd be open to it. Only then.
He would be stepping into a trainwreck here and be stepping into a loaded roster at usf. It may be a little fools gold if he has a good year at usf next year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Uhhh.... maybe because one actually fielded good teams.
Either one of his Dak Prescott teams would have curb stomped any team Charlie's ever coached and I hate you for making me make a case for mullet.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Either one of his Dak Prescott teams would have curb stomped any team Charlie's ever coached and I hate you for making me make a case for mullet.
I make no cases for Mullett. Mullett is just like Butters, loads up on cupcakes in September then loses most games in November.

I'm not sure if you watched Dak much but he got worse every year, a hallmark of a Mullett QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's not a bet I think I would make if Mac goes.
I'm not saying that all 110 would take the job, or that they leave a secure setting at a 2nd or 3rd tier job for ours (or Texas') job. I mean that the rest of them wouldn't want to hear about how rough it is when half the most talented kids in the country live in your backyard.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I make no cases for Mullett. Mullett is just like Butters, loads up on cupcakes in September then loses most games in November.

I'm not sure if you watched Dak much but he got worse every year, a hallmark of a Mullett QB.
He did win a natty here with Leak/Tebow at QB....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.