Austin Appleby to enroll at UF

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I actually saw Appleby play in the Iowa game. I don't watch much Big 10 football but it was on early and the Gators were still in the hunt, so I was rooting for Purdue. Appleby came in early in that game after the starter got sidelined. He's a prototypical Big 10 QB, big strong and not quick on his feet. He was throwing short deliberate passes to TEs and FB mostly. I was impressed by his grittiness, but I wasn't impressed by the throws he was making downfield to WRs. I can see why he's a fan favorite, he plays like he has a big heart and he's tough. He made some bad throws and mistakes, though, when Purdue really had a chance to do something in the game. I didn't see anything that translates as an SEC starter, but I'd feel more comfortable with him coming into the game after an injury to a starter than a lot of the backups we've had recently. I guess you could call him a rich man's Skyler Mornhinweg.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I wouldn't want his 1st snaps to be against Bama or anyone like that either but I'm also not willing to give up 2 seasons if I can have him game ready by 2017. I can promise you Del Rio is not the answer and neither is this kid we just got, I'm not saying that Frank's is the answer next year either but we're bringing him in to be our Qb of the future so why not get him meaningful snaps in a season that has no national championships hopes.

There's an interesting article from 2013 called "So you're starting a true freshman quarterback..." by Matt Hinton at footballstudyhall.

He found that in the prior five years, from the six power conferences, only six true freshman quarterbacks that started a majority of their teams' games finished that season with an average (or slightly better than average) QB ranking. That's Terrelle Pryor (Ohio State, 8-2), RGIII (Baylor 4-7), Braxton Miller (Ohio State 4-6), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville 5-5), Matt Barkley (USCW 9-3), and Perry Hills( Maryland 4-3.) Note the win-loss records.

Hinton goes to write:
Hinton said:
"What may be surprising, though, is just how rarely young quarterbacks who struggle to find their niche early ever do over time. Here are the other 21 players since 2008 who attempted at least 100 passes as true freshmen in a major conference:

< emphasis added, table omitted. >

For a lot of those guys, the jury is still out. But to date, not one player in that group has been recognized on an all-conference team, played in a BCS bowl, heard his name called in the draft or caught on with an NFL team. In fact, many of the more touted players at the top of this list were never heard from again: Savage and Forcier lost their jobs as sophomores, transferred and turned into roaming vagabonds at multiple schools (Savage, now a fifth-year senior, has resurfaced as the skip the prologue at Oklahoma State after falling behind in the spring. Bolden lost his job as a freshman, lost it again as a sophomore and transferred to LSU, where he remains planted firmly on the bench. Dodd is still at Rutgers, but lost his job to Gary Nova as a sophomore and didn't take a meaningful snap in 2012, even as Nova tied for the FBS "lead" with 17 interceptions. Shinskie and Newton both ended their careers as bystanders on dreadful teams."

So basically 100% of other 21 true freshman QBs who were thrown to the wolves didn't learn and progress from starting prematurely, they were instead (by inference) traumatized by the experience and NEVER BECAME QUALITY PLAYERS.

That's what the data says about your "why not get (Franks) meaningful snaps" question/hypothesis. if Del Rio manages to be average, that's likely to be much better for the Gators, and for Franks too.

You are of course entitled to have your own opinion. But coaches usually go with the odds.

Last edited:

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-florida-adds-graduate-transfer-at-quarterback

Florida added yet another quarterback option for 2016 to its roster this week.

Austin Appleby, a redshirt junior from Purdue, has transferred to Florida for his final year of eligibility. He announced the move on his Twitter account.

“I have made a decision to continue my college career at the University of Florida,” Appleby wrote. “I am very excited about this opportunity and all the great things that are in store for Gator Nation!”

Appleby will reportedly begin classes at UF on Tuesday, giving the Gators five quarterbacks for the spring. The 6-foot-5, 239-pounder will compete with Treon Harris, Luke Del Rio and incoming early enrollees Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask for the starting job.

Appleby started 11 games for the Boilermakers in 2014 and 2015, finishing his career with 2,777 passing yards and a completion rate of 55 percent. Turnovers, however, were an issue for him at Purdue.

Appleby had 18 touchdowns and 19 interceptions over the past two years and was benched this season after throwing six picks in a loss to Virginia Tech.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Consider me to be bellied up to the bar at Applebee's! I know, not one of my better efforts but hell its early. I'm in the camp that wants Appleby to start and yes I'm serious. So I see some of you complaining that he played at Purdue and couldn't win in the B1G so how the hell would he win in the SEC?

Ask yourself this question and be honest. Austin Appleby led Purdue to put up 36 points on Indiana. Now here is my question... Do you think if UF played Indiana right now we would put up 36 points? Would we even come close? No? Then why the hell are some of you belly aching so much?

Del Rio has taken what 4 snaps in a game? On his 3rd school? Mac went and found this guy? Yeah I bet Del Rio's great. Give me Appleby and let Franks get his RS. Now do I think Appleby is the answer to all our problems? No way. But I do think he has much more value when you really evaluate our situation rather than at first glance.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I heard good things about Del Rio on my drive home last night from Jax sports radio 1010....they said he is not the same kid you saw 2 years ago, he has bulked up quite a bit and that the trainers love his leadership qualities and, most important, that HE WOULD HAVE STARTED OVER GRIER this year had he been eligible.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of the guys on the afternoon tailgate said he went to a lot of the practices in the fall camp. He said Del Rio will be a legit starter. Said he won't blow people away with arm strength, but he knows how to get the ball out quickly and where to go with it. Said he was your typical Bama style QB. He also said that Del Rio would have been starting this season, which is why UF was pushing the NCAA for immediate eligibility.

It's just what a local sports guy and his sources said. Sounds like we should at least have hope

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan was a good 3 point shooter (career 40%+) and that was about it - we still had Walsh & Roberson, and Hump and just gotten on the team, plus we had Drejer, who could shoot from long range. He found a much nicer role at UW, averaging 25+ minutes and 10+ points a game.
Also, I couldn't find any proof these two guys are brothers. Austin grew up in Ohio, Ryan in Washington.

Nice post Bart. Brings back some not so good memories. You remember when we went into Rupp #1 in the nation? Yeah that's how I remember both Appleby
and Drejer. I've never seen a prospect as hailed as Drejer so passive with the basketball. In big moments it's almost as if he didn't even look to shoot. That game
being one. In Appleby's case he was clearly overwhelmed here, and at his best was an average guard. He had a turnover and later a silly backcourt violation in Rupp. He was decent at Washington with an all-american next to him in Brandon Roy.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Appleby may not light the world on fire but remember, neither did Grier. He was beginning to develop into a decent QB but struggled in the first few games. The difference is he was kept in the game where Appleby was replaced. How can you judge a QB on 2 games?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well Harris will move to the slot next year, and when this guy doesn't work out he can move to WR, his size alone makes for a matchup problem. Imagine all the trick play options available, bubble screen toss back...

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:faint:

After the last 5 years, I cant even comprehend that.

You do realize that's not what we want. You lose far more often than you win with that many passing attempts and picks.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well Harris will move to the slot next year, and when this guy doesn't work out he can move to WR, his size alone makes for a matchup problem. Imagine all the trick play options available, buble screen toss back...

I predict he'll be moved to CB, since we are lacking in numbers.

Hopefully, MAC will teach Thompson how to be a wildcat QB so that Treon will have no reason to ever play offense again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:banghead: This concerns me greatly. If all we we end up with is Kyle Trash, I'm probably going to fall off the caboose of the Mac Train.

Neither Mac nor Nussmeier worked with a big playmaker at Bama and I'm not sure they think they need one here. They just need someone to protect the ball, make the throws when needed and continue running the balanced attack. Del Rio is probably that man next season.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Neither Mac nor Nussmeier worked with a big playmaker at Bama and I'm not sure they think they need one here. They just need someone to protect the ball, make the throws when needed and continue running the balanced attack. Del Rio is probably that man next season.

That will be enough of that. Level headed reasoning just doesnt fly here...

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair the two time transfer has had a full year learning the offense. The GT will come in early just like the other 2 guys and while he has experience they may have better physical skills. The key is that this may allow us to redshirt Franks and Trask instead of throwing them to the wolves early. I think Del Rio wins the job, but this kid may be #2.

This would be good if we get it accomplished. I have gone through the thread and there are some mixed feelings. But I can tell you this. As of right now we're better off with those 4 than TH. I am all for an offense that does not have TH taking the snaps. Wilcat formation is even questionable for me to endorse with him there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.