Bama makes the playoff

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If teams like Boise St, UCF etc are never going to be allowed to enter the playoff, then they need to be put in their own subset with their own championship. It is just simply wrong to have a system where no matter how well you play, no matter what your record is, you still have no shot at a championship. No I'm not saying UCF is a better team than Bama. I'm saying that they are both FBS teams and the champion of FBS is the winner of the playoff and how can you go undefeated and not make the playoff? Its just asinine.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well, well, well. As I've repeatedly said, as a Gator fan, I'm against any playoffs. I like the system whereby the winner of the SEC most likely plays in the NC game. Its the shortest path to a Natty for us.
However, people aren't going to be happy until we get an eight team playoff. And the easiest way to do this is take the five P5 conference winners and three G5 Con Champ game winners and have the playoff the following week at the highest ranked home stadium. This upsets the apple cart the least and more importantly generates the most $$$ without impacting the take for Con. Champ games. Join a conference ND - you can no longer hold the system hostage.
You have to win your conference to advance - sorry snowflakes crying for "fairness". None of this most "deserving" crap. Do I give a damn that the winner of the AAC conference game would go instead of a one-loss SEC team? I do not. That's life and it ain't perfect. The G5's will get destroyed, of course, but it will be great entertainment.

I agree with 8 teams, but I’d say P5 champs plus 3 at-large, one of which must be G5 (more could be if they rank that high.) First round is home at higher ranked teams’ stadiums. Independents can either join a conference or aim for one of the 3 at-large. First round losers still get bowl games.

My system this year would mean:

UCF at Clemson
USC at OU
WI at UGA
OSU at Bama

Note 3 intersectional matchups against traditional powers. Great tv.

(OSU’s whining would be tested at Bama.)

AU would lose out to UCF - we’ll see how that plays out in the Peach Bowl. But I think they (the G5) deserve a shot. Maybe over time that changes if it just gets ridiculous.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I agree with 8 teams, but I’d say P5 champs plus 3 at-large, one of which must be G5 (more could be if they rank that high.) First round is home at higher ranked teams’ stadiums. Independents can either join a conference or aim for one of the 3 at-large. First round losers still get bowl games.

My system this year would mean:

UCF at Clemson
USC at OU
WI at UGA
OSU at Bama

Note 3 intersectional matchups against traditional powers. Great tv.

(OSU’s whining would be tested at Bama.)

AU would lose out to UCF - we’ll see how that plays out in the Peach Bowl. But I think they (the G5) deserve a shot. Maybe over time that changes if it just gets ridiculous.
I could go for that. P5 Conference champs get auto bids - I like the elitism of that. And three highest ranked at large. It's a deal.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My dislike finger is getting a callous. Here is you guys chance to repay me!

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
If teams like Boise St, UCF etc are never going to be allowed to enter the playoff, then they need to be put in their own subset with their own championship. It is just simply wrong to have a system where no matter how well you play, no matter what your record is, you still have no shot at a championship. No I'm not saying UCF is a better team than Bama. I'm saying that they are both FBS teams and the champion of FBS is the winner of the playoff and how can you go undefeated and not make the playoff? Its just asinine.
There's a simple solution - schedule a couple of big boys. Ohio State, Clemson, etc. When your game against USF is the highlight you're not going to get enough attention. Look at the run Miami made by taking on an overrated Notre Dame team at the time.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's a simple solution - schedule a couple of big boys. Ohio State, Clemson, etc. When your game against USF is the highlight you're not going to get enough attention. Look at the run Miami made by taking on an overrated Notre Dame team at the time.

Solutions like this always sound simple. Suppose the “big boys” on their schedule this year were UF and FSU. Whoopie. Not much of a solution.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

They did schedule Ga Tech but lost that opportunity due to Irma. Tech isn’t big boy, I know.

Played Michigan last year. Blown out in Frost’s 2nd game.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

They got to the verge of a lawsuit led by Tulane, negotiations resulted in gaining one premier bowl spot (Which UCF won this year.)

The P5 have played with the idea of creating a separate division but backed off. Maybe the G5 could form a league of 10-12 with UCF, Boise St., etc. Then have a relegation format like the Premier League.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Solutions like this always sound simple. Suppose the “big boys” on their schedule this year were UF and FSU. Whoopie. Not much of a solution.
They would get a lot more credit for scheduling even if the opponent is down. This goes on in college ball every year. As long as humans are picking the rankings, strength of schedule and eye test matters. So does record, but a perfect record is only going to go so far when it’s against lower teams. UCF is exactly where they belong - they earned a nice bowl but not a playoff spot.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UCF beat Maryland away and was scheduled to play Georgia Tech but was canceled because of the hurricane. They beat two top 20 ranked teams. Each year they try to schedule two power 5 teams. They've played Alabama, Texas, Florida, FSU, Miami, and Georgia among others.

I don't necessarily think this team would beat any of the P5 playoff teams. Their defense is just too small and weak. But the team that won the Fiesta bowl could have played even with any team in the country sans Alabama.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Bama is higher in the polls and is the better team by just about any measure. They only use conference championships as a tiebreaker. This worked in OSU's favor last year and against them this year. I did not see how they could let OSU in this year after what happened last year with Penn State.
I think the 4 teams in the playoff are the correct ones and it is all pretty even. I wish I had more confidence in Alabama but that Auburn game was just bad.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Conferences ain't giving up the cash cow of championship games so it will never happen. They'll never vote for it.
The only viable solution has to keep those games. Which means adding an 8 team playoff the following week. Which means more $$$$. Which means it is the most likely thing to happen if anything happens. You can debate how those 8 teams are chosen.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I can't believe they put Bama in just because of their reputation. What a joke decision.
They didn't. They put them in because the only loss on the resume is to the team that played in the SECCG. They other team to choose from was a 2 loss team the got 55 hung on them by Iowa. Like it or not, that was the only choice they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.