Basketball team needs to be renamed the "Florida Heartbreakers"

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Great movie and SC is the man.....................Shaken not stirred.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n178153 said:
Egbunu block party. This team desperately needs this now.

For next year, I'm a bit concerned about the scholarship overload. Will guys be forced out or could someone pull an Adam Allen and open up a scholarship?
I definitely think some will be forced out to make room. If you look at the last time when we had those down years, we had a massive amount of transfers. And I don't think we'd be taking the commitments if we didn't plan on having room

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n178153 said:
Egbunu block party. This team desperately needs this now.

For next year, I'm a bit concerned about the scholarship overload. Will guys be forced out or could someone pull an Adam Allen and open up a scholarship?

I wonder if Walker does stay with him in there if it could open things up for Walker to get going finally. Time will tell I guess.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n178167 said:
:eek:ldman: I tell you what, oxy, I dont see any losers on our team. Just a jumbled up group of players trying to figure it out with too many injuries during the year and some of the poorest shooting from the line and any anywhere else. But no quit. They need to learn how to forget the last shot and shoot like they do in warm ups. MF is the only one like that. And DFS somewhat.
btw Hoosiers is a classic and full of basketball I believe in. I played 4 years of HS basketball starting at PG in most of them. It was my passion until I got older and now I watch it mostly (and teach it)
I love Hoosiers, but that was High School basketball, not major college basketball. If UF is at the point, in ANY of their sports, that it's a "well the kids are really doing their best so we're winners" attitude, there are serious problems. These coaches are paid millions to recruit top athletes so we aren't in a position to quote movies like Hoosiers to make ourselves feel better.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n178202 said:
I love Hoosiers, but that was High School basketball, not major college basketball. If UF is at the point, in ANY of their sports, that it's a "well the kids are really doing their best so we're winners" attitude, there are serious problems. These coaches are paid millions to recruit top athletes so we aren't in a position to quote movies like Hoosiers to make ourselves feel better.
But some kids just don't pan out. Robinson, hill and walker could have gone anywhere they wanted. These coaches are getting highly rated guys the only question mark I see in recruiting is chiozza. I don't understand why he was offered.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n178214 said:
But some kids just don't pan out. Robinson, hill and walker could have gone anywhere they wanted. These coaches are getting highly rated guys the only question mark I see in recruiting is chiozza. I don't understand why he was offered.
What about a walk-on playing 40 minutes a game?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I love Hoosiers, but that was High School basketball, not major college basketball. If UF is at the point, in ANY of their sports, that it's a "well the kids are really doing their best so we're winners"
I understand that completely. But there are constants in basketball at any level. Play like a team. Play tough defense. Work on your shot until it is automatic. You should always shoot the ball the same way unless you are forced into some circus shot. If anyone wants to criticize this team that is fine but give me a fckn solution beyond no injuries, and better shooting. I would have thought that with the 04s and the last four guys most would understand that team chemistry is about the most important thing on a BILLYD team. This team aint got it yet for a variety of reasons and I can shoot better than most of them besides MF.
the only question mark I see in recruiting is chiozza. I don't understand why he was offered.
I love his hustle and moves. He is going to be a decent PG. He is only a freshman and has played decently.

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I see a few things. 'transfers that couldn't cut it at lesser programs. Yet these guys seemingly are always welcomed open-armed by Donovan. (Horford, DFS, Carter, Murphy). Are we that desperate? I see guys with major hype that somehow Cal "missed". I see Cal pillaging the recruiting countryside. I see too much being invested in short pgs who can only bring so much to the table (Chiozza and that burrito stealer). By God how can anybody justify the extensive use of a student Manager. That would never happen at UK. I see Frazer touted as a star when at best his role be like that of Lee Humphrey. I see too much casual acceptance by fans of whatever product is thrown out there. Fortunately for us, Donovan won't accept that status quo. Unfortunately for us, Donovan will leave if he sees the fan apathy and/or recruitment disadvantages as too much to overcome. Laugh if you want at fan apathy as being perceived as a major problem. But UF can't draw 23,000 rain or shine even if we had the capacity. 8,000 a night will spur Billy into power-reading the manual on the triangle offense quicker than anything. UF basketball cannot tolerate a StephenPE-like attitude to permeate the program. Do we really want a fan base that "appeases" Billy for fear of losing him? He earns the big bucks and expects the criticism that should come his way. Or at least he should. As far a our players, are we really ready to break our budget and get everybody a trophy because there are no losers in the locker

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n178216 said:
What about a walk-on playing 40 minutes a game?

If the other players panned out we wouldn't have a walk on playing 40 minutes a game.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n178233 said:
If the other players panned out we wouldn't have a walk on playing 40 minutes a game.

Kurtz is not playing 40 per game actually 20 per game. That said he is looking more like a liability on defense recently so I expect to see less of him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n178237 said:
Kurtz is not playing 40 per game actually 20 per game. That said he is looking more like a liability on defense recently so I expect to see less of him.

I would agree, but the point being made is that we wouldn't see so much of him if the talent that was recruited had panned out.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
UF basketball cannot tolerate a StephenPE-like attitude to permeate the program
I guess you missed the previous 4 final 8s with a final four thrown in and in this same decade a double national title. Yeah, its fallen, find another guy, Billy has slipped to div, 2. You compare us to UK. They put their players in a Taj Mahal. They have 25k a night to watch, We aint UK and never will be but here is the caveat, We can compete with them in BB and they cannot touch us in FB. In fact we have owned them the last 10-12 years in terms of hardware and great runs. And this with a 1/10th of the talent. We have a great coach. There are rebuilding years and believe it or not sh#t happens, Of course if you are 20 something it is what have you done for me lately............
You have a hall of fame coach but go get the next one if you can. btw that short PG a few years ago helped us to a final 8 and ALMOST the final four., There is no doubt this bandwagon loaded up after the 04s and most are now John Woodens in BB knowledge
btw I was going to and cheering for gator BB before you were born (read about Neal Walk for superstar). I have attended probably over 200 gator basketball games in my life. If you think my "fandom" is the problem you are clueless.

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n178262 said:
I guess you missed the previous 4 final 8s with a final four thrown in and in this same decade a double national title. Yeah, its fallen, find another guy, Billy has slipped to div, 2. You compare us to UK. They put their players in a Taj Mahal. They have 25k a night to watch, We aint UK and never will be but here is the caveat, We can compete with them in BB and the cannot touch us in FB. In fact we have owned them the last 10-12 years in terms of hardware and great runs. And this with a 1/10th of the talent. We have a great coach. There are rebuilding years and believe it or not sh#t happens, Of course if you are 20 something it is what have you done for me lately............
You have a hall of fame coach go get the next one if you can. btw that short PG a few years ago helped us to a final 8 and ALMOST the final four., There is no doubt this bandwagon loaded up after the 04s and most are now John Woodens in BB knowledge

Ah. You got the wrong guy. Been attending since the beginning of the second Sloan stint. Things can fall quickly. Donovan self-questioning his recruiting is eerily similar to another UF coach who proclaimed the program as broken. And UF bball may be broken. Don't let the trophies obscure the road ahead. Even after 5-22 in 1981-1982 there was reason to get excited about the future because of returning talent. This group.....ehhh

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n178262 said:
btw I was going to and cheering for gator BB before you were born (read about Neal Walk for superstar). I have attended probably over 200 gator basketball games in my life.
old_man_with_cane.gif

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The bad news is it appears we've missed pretty badly on several recruits. The good news is, it only takes 1-2 quality recruits to turn it back around.

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n178271 said:
The bad news is it appears we've missed pretty badly on several recruits. The good news is, it only takes 1-2 quality recruits to turn it back around.

Billy desperately needs to win some battles. I'm not sure that many of our current players could even be quality role players.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
DevoGator;n178269 said:
Ah. You got the wrong guy. Been attending since the beginning of the second Sloan stint. Things can fall quickly. Donovan self-questioning his recruiting is eerily similar to another UF coach who proclaimed the program as broken. And UF bball may be broken. Don't let the trophies obscure the road ahead. Even after 5-22 in 1981-1982 there was reason to get excited about the future because of returning talent. This group.....ehhh
For one who has followed so long your pessimism is odd. This team has been close. The last one was close many times but experience and chemistry had them winning. Robinson can be a star. Walker is an enigma. He is slowly coming along. The two PG will work in Donovans offense. Horford has not been what we need. DFS has been injured and cannot do it without a healthy MF
and another big inside to be consistent. Broken? Seriously, this guy has proven that broken is about as temporary as gator FB coaches since SOS left.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
oxrageous;n178270 said:
I know the implication is I am an old decrepit dude but anytime you want to try me one on one to 10 let me know. Better yet follow me one day as we teach 6 PE classes.
;)

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n178028 said:
This team has lost 6 of their games by a total of 8 points. And 8 of their games by a total of 21 points. It's almost unreal.

Close, but no cigar..........................that's pretty much our season

Attachments

• conv_2452.gif
    conv_2452.gif
    925 KB · Views: 37

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n178293 said:
I know the implication is I am an old decrepit dude but anytime you want to try me one on one to 10 let me know. Better yet follow me one day as we teach 6 PE classes.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator