Billy Napier is a stupid *****

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How about the 60+ years between forming the SEC and winning our first title. Only to have it stripped away by Vince Dooley and company? 12 years? Pffft.

Yep. And anybody who watched those Bachman years knew it was fools gold. Oh sure, ‘28 and ‘29 were fun. But I don’t think I have to remind you how the wheels came off from there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh horse crap. Napier has to go, that's clear. But don't go suddenly making AR into some martyr. His bad play lost us some games last year. And I'm certain somebody got in his ear, because he started avoiding running/contact.

Agreed
Not defending Billy because I watch the games but at the same time I am not a revisionist historian.

I watched AR miss slant pattern after slant pattern for the entire season along with his decision to stop using his legs about halfway into the season because he was saving himself for the Colts.

I hope he does well and I appreciate that he played for UF but don’t try to convince me that anyone other than AR hindered AR.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed
Not defending Billy because I watch the games but at the same time I am not a revisionist historian.

I watched AR miss slant pattern after slant pattern for the entire season along with his decision to stop using his legs about halfway into the season because he was saving himself for the Colts.

I hope he does well and I appreciate that he played for UF but don’t try to convince me that anyone other than AR hindered AR.
Billy gave him crap for plays and scheme, and then he doubled down by not being the leader and talent he should have been.

Knocking AR doesn't give tater a pass, just as much as knocking tater doesn't let AR off the hook.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Meh...Im still in the Napier camp as long as he keeps this recruiting class together and continues to replace the roster with more blue chips. He and the staff he has built has proven to be very good at talent evaluation and as long as they keep bringing in the talent Im all for keeping him. Generally speaking, there is a lot more good with him than without him...for now. Our defense is obviously improving from the dumpster fire it has been.

There are things I really dont like as well but the overall trajectory of the program at the moment is going up. Special Teams...jfc, if he would put some emphasis on special teams it would go a long way. I think its a strong argument to say that we gave up 10 points because of special teams against UK and it has been dismal since the get go for him. It is kinda mind boggling because if I had to take over a program in a deep hole that is one part of the game I would put a lot of emphasis on from the get go because its a part of the game where you can get a lot of plus from when you are in a talent deficit. But it just continues to be a negative week to week.

Offensive scheme is just, well, sucks. Since its foundation is a lot of pre snap movement to uncover what the defense is doing it means its slow and we get less possessions every game. I really really like the talent we are bringing in though, Mertz, ETN, Johnson, Pearsall, Wilson, Douglas, Jean and some other skill players are fugging studs but we are missing on the OL and its showing. Maybe we need a 3rd OL coach?

Despite the above, I still think he needs to stay as long as he continues to flip the roster. And if he can realize he needs to fix the special teams and go get an OC there really isnt much to complain about in the future. If he doesn't then his legacy would be more zOoK like but at least he would have got us out of the hole and set the next guy up. But getting rid of him now is just stupid.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Billy gave him crap for plays and scheme, and then he doubled down by not being the leader and talent he should have been.

Knocking AR doesn't give tater a pass, just as much as knocking tater doesn't let AR off the hook.

I agree completely.
Both parties were a huge disappointment last season.
I don’t hear anyone defending tater but we still have people defending AR. He’s a tremendous talent when he chooses to apply his talents.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meh...Im still in the Napier camp as long as he keeps this recruiting class together and continues to replace the roster with more blue chips. He and the staff he has built has proven to be very good at talent evaluation and as long as they keep bringing in the talent Im all for keeping him. Generally speaking, there is a lot more good with him than without him...for now. Our defense is obviously improving from the dumpster fire it has been.

There are things I really dont like as well but the overall trajectory of the program at the moment is going up. Special Teams...jfc, if he would put some emphasis on special teams it would go a long way. I think its a strong argument to say that we gave up 10 points because of special teams against UK and it has been dismal since the get go for him. It is kinda mind boggling because if I had to take over a program in a deep hole that is one part of the game I would put a lot of emphasis on from the get go because its a part of the game where you can get a lot of plus from when you are in a talent deficit. But it just continues to be a negative week to week.

Offensive scheme is just, well, sucks. Since its foundation is a lot of pre snap movement to uncover what the defense is doing it means its slow and we get less possessions every game. I really really like the talent we are bringing in though, Mertz, ETN, Johnson, Pearsall, Wilson, Douglas, Jean and some other skill players are fugging studs but we are missing on the OL and its showing. Maybe we need a 3rd OL coach?

Despite the above, I still think he needs to stay as long as he continues to flip the roster. And if he can realize he needs to fix the special teams and go get an OC there really isnt much to complain about in the future. If he doesn't then his legacy would be more zOoK like but at least he would have got us out of the hole and set the next guy up. But getting rid of him now is just stupid.
I think if he gets an aggressive down the field passing OC, Napier can be successful.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think if he gets an aggressive down the field passing OC, Napier can be successful.
We can talk scheme all we want but until the OL can provide a bit more time for Mertz then scheme is kinda irrelevant. Hoping the start jelling sooner than later
Sooo........how much would it cost to entice Joe Brady back to CFB?
I would rather have Brian Johnson.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Meant to mention in my above post and forgot, but I think another thing we need to take into account is all the young players we are playing on offense as well as all the first time players in gator uniforms this season. Its easier to get away with this on defense but on offense it takes some time. Not making any excuses for some of the obvious issues with the offensive scheme, but, when you have a lot of new peeps on O it can be very on off from week to week.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I would rather have Brian Johnson.
I'd rather have Johnson too, but as OC for the Eagles, Johnson's next step will be a HC position in the NFL, not an OC at the college level. Brady is currently a QB coach for the Bills; an OC job at Florida would be a step up and probably a much bigger payday.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I'd rather have Johnson too, but as OC for the Eagles, Johnson's next step will be a HC position in the NFL, not an OC at the college level. Brady is currently a QB coach for the Bills; an OC job at Florida would be a step up and probably a much bigger payday.
I agree about Johnson. He might take a FBS HC job if he has to wait too long for an NFL opportunity. Doubt he would leave to be a college OC. As for Brady....Put out the feelers. Get this in the works. Brady is perfect. Proven SEC success. NFL experience. We'll take him. He's the new OC starting at the end of his current NFL season. Spread the rumor.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People don't truly change. They may say they will or even think they will, but on 3rd and 5 he is going to do what he has done
for his career as a play caller and treat it as a 4 down situation unless there is a TFL. How many times have we seen patterns short of the sticks on 3rd and even on 4th down sometimes? The shuffle pass to Zanders is another indefensible choice. The special teams disasters
continue to pile up. Often times at crucial moments. In just 5 games this season we've seen two special teams penalties that I didn't even know existed, and I've been watching football most of my life. We are grossly deficient in two of our three units, and my instincts tell me this is very much Muschamp 2.0 in terms of inept football.

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Meh...Im still in the Napier camp as long as he keeps this recruiting class together and continues to replace the roster with more blue chips.

Don't forget Napier needing to keep his current impact players from entering the portal either because they are unhappy with their playing time or they just want to win. Florida has what looks to be the hardest schedule in college football next year. So it wouldn't surprise if me a good player bolts unexpectedly for a better team. The Kentucky running back that just scorched us for nearly 300 yards on the ground was a Vanderbilt transfer. Now, I don't want to compare us to Vandy. But, they did beat us last year and we are riding a 3 game losing streak to Kentucky.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget Napier needing to keep his current impact players from entering the portal either because they are unhappy with their playing time or they just want to win. Florida has what looks to be the hardest schedule in college football next year. So it wouldn't surprise if me a good player bolts unexpectedly for a better team. The Kentucky running back that just scorched us for nearly 300 yards on the ground was a Vanderbilt transfer. Now, I don't want to compare us to Vandy. But, they did beat us last year and we are riding a 3 game losing streak to Kentucky.
If he doesn’t start ETN, he’ll be gone. And justly so.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Scary thought, Lurker. Way to keep it positive.

Say it with me now... All we need is an OC and a special needs coach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even if Napier does cede control of the play calling to someone else, you have to think it will be to someone who shares much of the same philosophy. I can almost guarantee it won't be someone who likes to sling the ball downfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator