Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
LDR isn't even a game manager. He's played terrible against low level SEC teams and I shudder to think what LSU or Bama will do to him.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanx C2, but I also mentioned in the game thread yesterday about the play calling about 1000 times. It has become beyond laughable. yes the O-line blows and our Rb's have zero vision, but the sequencing of plays, the non understanding of risk/reward, the non understanding of game management is no longer astounding. It just shows that Butters is Stupid. No other way around it. When are we going to use a RB as a primary receiver isolated against a LB? Answer: NEVER. Sure they are used as outlets or on screens but I am talking about as a primary? I see it weekly from other teams and it is a weapon. But not for the Oand B. Do we have a FB? Watching Lewis get blown up as a lead blocker on a power run was just laughable. We have 2 TE's that can't play attached to the line. We have 2 TE's that can play attached but obviously are not receivers. Thus we have no TE's. What the hell is going on? the saddest thing is that whether we play weekly, or have time off to practice (as we have recently), the basic fundamentals and Butters seem to get worse if that is possible!
Agreed, Fire. Goolsby and Lewis are receivers only (too light in the @ss). At least they are doing that pretty well. Lewis probably had his best game yesterday. Seems he's been prone to a drop previously.

LDR isn't even a game manager. He's played terrible against low level SEC teams and I shudder to think what LSU or Bama will do to him.
I'm with you where LSU and Bama are concerned. I think he's a manager at best and am having a hard time imagining him being beyond that capability. Maybe we'll be surprised?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I've marked up some stats from ESPN.

Davis was all over the place. Just like normal. He's a heck of a player. (I know, that's been said before.)

Dawson's been maligned here at times, but his 2 pass breakups were huge.

8 different defensive linemen registered a sack and/or a hurry. (Mostly the latter, but Eason does know to get rid of the ball.) That's impressive, even given the fact that they'd given up on the run.

16 hurries on 47 total plays is crazy.

Our offense isn't much, but we did run 95 plays vs their 47.

Not in the stats ... had a couple of false start penalties early, and then those stopped. Thank gawd. And offhand I don't remember any penalties in the 2nd half.

Georgia running totals: 19 carries, 21 yards, avg 1.1 ypc. (Not that our running was anything special, even after you take out the sacks.)

upload_2016-10-30_11-44-14.png

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thank you C2, was worried for a minute as I had to have my morning coffee without you

As usual, I concur. Every time we I think we are about to turn the corner offensively, bam two steps back. Even though we play well I always feel like we are a pick six or busted coverage from doom.

The DB cannot play aggressive and lose their footing, because that means you got burnt. Same withh the DL, they were way aggressive in the first half and didn't maintain their lanes. Really settled down in the 2nd half and played solid assignments. Davis can catch the qb, Ivey can't means keep your containment. Best game overall by the DL.

Speaking of Davis, dude, as hard he was playing on a gimpy ankle! Wow. I think Duke continues to improve and with a little more muscle and discipline he could be a great one.

The OL and QB are what they are. The coaches know what the limitations are and need to keep them out of them.. We have to have misdirection and varied play calling because we are not good enough without it (has Calloway run a jet before). I don't think Mac wants to accept that we are a run first team. LDR kepps scaring the bees wax out of me with late soft throws into coverage. Need the HBC to teaching timing after every practice

Saw a lot of effort on all sides of the ball with players fighting for extra yardage, blocking and gang tackling. That was good to see. keep working on the fundamentals!

Great day to see whooped puppies again

Now for Arky, the DL needs to be sound for this one.

Was a great Saturday, have a great week Gator Nation

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Whoops re my posting above: the play count comparison is wrong. The total number of tackles is not the same as the number of plays, due to incompletions.

Sep 29, 2015
Thanx C2, but I also mentioned in the game thread yesterday about the play calling about 1000 times. It has become beyond laughable. yes the O-line blows and our Rb's have zero vision, but the sequencing of plays, the non understanding of risk/reward, the non understanding of game management is no longer astounding. It just shows that Butters is Stupid. No other way around it. When are we going to use a RB as a primary receiver isolated against a LB? Answer: NEVER. Sure they are used as outlets or on screens but I am talking about as a primary? I see it weekly from other teams and it is a weapon. But not for the Oand B. Do we have a FB? Watching Lewis get blown up as a lead blocker on a power run was just laughable. We have 2 TE's that can't play attached to the line. We have 2 TE's that can play attached but obviously are not receivers. Thus we have no TE's. What the hell is going on? the saddest thing is that whether we play weekly, or have time off to practice (as we have recently), the basic fundamentals and Butters seem to get worse if that is possible!

I have to disagree here somewhat. I think Mac is an excellent schemer. We have receivers running open on a consistent basis. We do feature RB's as a primary at times, especially Perine who is proving to be an excellent receiver out of the back field.

Where I agree is the play calling from Nuss leaves much to be desired. It's just head scratching at times. It's not the plays themselves, which I believe are well conceived, but the sequence/timing that is sometimes frustrating.

With a more complete QB I think Macs O can/will hum. LDR is obviously not complete. However, for all those crying for Trask/Franks, I hear you, but the mutts are starting an all-world freshman who look s the part and their season is over. Had we been playing either frosh, ours would be too I believe.

Cover, nice review and I agree on all point she. d looked great, BUT, there were some atrocious Georgia drops that would have led to first downs, and the Eason underthrow, which if completed would have changed the game to an extent, if not the outcome. Bottom line, those breaks won't always fall out way (see UT first and second halves).

At the end of the day, ecstatic about the win and that the rest of our season maters, unlike Georgia, tenn (most likely), clowns, and caines - all of whom are looking up at the mighty Gators.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the OL made more strides this game than last. By eoy they should be decent.

Defense line's performance over shadowed them though.

I did not notice any 2nd teamer LB's playing.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We just gotta get some top recruits in here and we will be a top 10 program again...oh wait...we are in the top 10!! Go Gators!!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LDR is not the QB of the future. I really hope that the two freshman work hard this offseason and become subject matter experts of this offense. The underthrow to Callaway, who had 3 steps on the DB shows how weak his arm is. He is a smart kid but tries too often to make the spectacular throws, rather than what is given to him.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Good stuff as always Cover and glad you're getting out and enjoying life.

Hate to see Cronkrite go, but maybe it helps to solve some of the problems with the running back by committee system.

We paid Muschamp enough money so maybe glad to see he's trying to help us out whether intentional or not.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a good piece, Lake. Thanks for posting. Certainly clears up things on the 3rd down conversion. In Cover 2, Tabor would be squatting in the flats, which I believe he was. If we were in nickel, Duke would have been the extra safety, playing a deep third, presumably on Tabor's side. Problem was when we lost contain and Eason rolled right. You could see Tabor move forward to force as Eason approached the LOS and I think Duke did also (though he was deeper and just in front of the receiver), both thinking that Eason was going to run. Usually when the QB is outside of the pocket, the D moves to mirror him and is to remain aware of receivers who break their routes and move with the roll and look for a spot to settle in or break to. For a freshman, Eason looked pretty savvy when he got outside the tackles. Good play by them and kinda hard to replicate in practice. Gotta trust the squat in front in that coverage to take care of the run I think. I like that the kid plays aggressive though.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arkansas coming up is a big game with the East priority as it stands. We might be playing a little better of late and them sinking some. At there home, we'll get a good effort most likely. We need to go in with level heads and looking to play a little better than Saturday, clean up the errors that we made (and were able to overcome). Bama could help us by beatin' up on LSU. Seems like we came away from the WLOCP pretty healthy. Hope we can stay that way. I also hope the penalty decrease is a sign that we are becoming a little more focused and disciplined. One game isn't a trend, however, but it can be a starting point.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arkansas coming up is a big game with the East priority as it stands. We might be playing a little better of late and them sinking some. At there home, we'll get a good effort most likely. We need to go in with level heads and looking to play a little better than Saturday, clean up the errors that we made (and were able to overcome). Bama could help us by beatin' up on LSU. Seems like we came away from the WLOCP pretty healthy. Hope we can stay that way. I also hope the penalty decrease is a sign that we are becoming a little more focused and disciplined. One game isn't a trend, however, but it can be a starting point.
If we do not play better, we lose.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nice work, Cover.

Not sure if anyone touched on this, but considering he's usually on the bad list, I'll throw a little praise to Chris Thompson. He had a couple of nice KO returns, but also was the gunner who wisely caught the punt inside the 5. The stalled uga drive, and punt that followed, set us up nicely for our first TD. I commented that Lewis and Quincy (for the fumble recovery) were the hero there, but Thompson deserved a lot of credit for that chain of events as well. Nice to see the senior have a good game.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whoops re my posting above: the play count comparison is wrong. The total number of tackles is not the same as the number of plays, due to incompletions.
Good self-correct, Yankee!
So it was actually 16 hurries on 33 pass attempts - not bad at all. Zuniga had 4 hurries.
We only had 73 plays (not 95), and 10 of those were incompletions. 95 tackles? I think UGAs padding their defense stats.

Oct 30, 2016

Short passing game is non-existent. Play calls are not "affecting" the defenses linebackers at all...causing more eyes in the box on first and second downs.. and lower yards per carry. When passing.. always third and long.. longer developing routes, against teams in nickel cov, leads to tough sledding for an average QB, and a young def line. This is Pop Warner stuff! We MUST develop a short passing game for early downs.. using backs, slants, TE rtes...anything to affect the LB's and back them off the LOS for a bit... COME ON MAN! Easy stuff here

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Short passing game is non-existent. Play calls are not "affecting" the defenses linebackers at all...causing more eyes in the box on first and second downs.. and lower yards per carry. When passing.. always third and long.. longer developing routes, against teams in nickel cov, leads to tough sledding for an average QB, and a young def line. This is Pop Warner stuff! We MUST develop a short passing game for early downs.. using backs, slants, TE rtes...anything to affect the LB's and back them off the LOS for a bit... COME ON MAN! Easy stuff here

Nice post, but I'd find an avatar before Ox gives you one. Welcome to GatorChatter!
:chomp:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
there was equal aromas of barbecue and the Jacksonville Green wafting through the air. I saw a guy in the crowd with a sombrero that I thought might have been Bart, but didn't get a chance to stop and ask :).
Wasn't me, but wish I had been there (rained all day in Seattle, helping to round out our wettest October on record).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.