Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-Those who went to the game can attest to the fact that it was HOT AS HELL. I had about 6 beers, 2 Gatorades, two bottles of water and a Coke yet peed only once all day. I was in the East stands with the sun all game and people were dropping like flies. It definitely had an effect on the Kentucky players. They were dragging by the end of the first quarter.

-I think Eddie is going to miss quite a few more kicks the rest of the year. He'll make some huge ones but he's like a pitcher with a 105 MPH fastball that has trouble throwing strikes. He's trying to hit 70 yarders when a 40 yarder will do.

-The entire secondary plays entirely different when Tabor is back there. They seem more focused and aggressive.

- LDR played very well and had all day to let plays develop. As he said, it's easy to play QB when your line actually blocks for you. Some of his throws would have been picked by faster DBs but he's smart and has the capacity to learn from his mistakes. I feel really good about him going forward.

-Anzalone was a beast. He recorded his own 3-and-out in the first quarter by making every tackle in the series. Hope he stays healthy.

-All and all a satisfying win against what looks to be a pretty bad Kentucky team. I don't think it really told us much about how we will compare to the likes of LSU, Georgia or Arkansas. Forget Alabama. We're not even close to that elite.....yet.

Last edited:

StPeteGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love reading these after the games. I couldn't be more happy with the outcome. But I have to add a b!tch of my own.

There's gotta be a way to stop these drive stalling, up-tempo-killing, panty-waist cramps and fake injuries by defenders when they're getting the ball driven on them to give the defense a rest. It's pansy-assed and it ruins the game. Louisville did it vs Syracuse. Not saying that made a difference in that game, and KY doing In our game did nothing but let them suck a little air because the throttle went right back on as soon as play resumed. But it has the same effect as those annoying booth reviews.

Rant over.

Great game Gators!!

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Concur.
OL at the beginning I thought here we go again, missed assignments, whiff by CD & co. But they seemed to pull it together. Still getting overpowered.

LDR. thought he looked good. Only comments would be locking on a guy and throwing into tripple coverage He had a few minutes of bad throws but then he gathered his composure and preserved. Good game.

Backs. Thompsons vision surprised me and I thought he and JS played really well, especially when the line was getting it together. Pee-rine did look good, but it was the 4th and the Cats were gassed. His pass catch, on the otherhand gave me hope.

We need another big receiver to step up with the stud C. TE did look good and the TE and backs certainly help while Cleveland (or if he is ever healthy)and others might get it together. Love Powell, but as another poster put it, why does he make every post look difficult. No more #81 on kicks, way too valuable!

Tabor and QW, wow. Nough said.

My perception was that in the first half the DL was meh. The stats don't support my perceptions but we will see against the corndogs.

Great game Gator Nation

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks guys for the responses and corrections. Hope to get to see a full replay this week (last week's game was only available at midnight, way past my bedtime!). Didn't realize Eddie had missed two attempts, but again was proud that he kept it together and made the long one. Another thing I have noticed about him but didn't mention was that he drills the PATs, which is a good practice habit. Seems like we've had a kicker lately that might have had some head problems and was very inconsistent with this phase :dunno: and made it more of an adventure than a sure thing!

My comment on the penalties being lower was based on the numbers, though I did get to see Sherit's (which I agree was ticky tack) and CeCe's looked like both he and the UK OL had their hands in the grill). Didn't see Dawson's, but I'm glad he's back out there. He's an aggressive guy, so he's probably going to get one every now and then. As long as he makes his presence known and doesn't start getting multiples or commit them in crucial situations, I'm ok. He's no Reggie Nelson, yet, but I can see some similarities developing maybe in that regard. As for blocking in the back, they will always be a head scratcher as that is commonly repped and corrected ad infinitum with every return team during the spec team periods and with the D on sudden changes. I think that most occur when a guy either initially misses a block or realizes a defender has penetrated the wall. Either way, an "Oh Sh!t" happens and the brain gives way to a spontaneous reaction. We seem to see it on every other return play, regardless of what game we are watching.

Lastly, though I tired of Danielson's epistle during the lengthy review on Powell's catch/non catch, I know he was filing space for the network, but he shouldn't have to do that for that long. I do agree that he is about as good an analyst as there is and certainly the most well-prepared. I'm also guessing that CBS requires him to drive Verne to and from the stadiums and airports to avoid the embarrassment of DUIs. It'll be interesting to see who he gets paired with next year when Verne is retired.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concur.
OL at the beginning I thought here we go again, missed assignments, whiff by CD & co. But they seemed to pull it together. Still getting overpowered.

LDR. thought he looked good. Only comments would be locking on a guy and throwing into tripple coverage He had a few minutes of bad throws but then he gathered his composure and preserved. Good game.

Backs. Thompsons vision surprised me and I thought he and JS played really well, especially when the line was getting it together. Pee-rine did look good, but it was the 4th and the Cats were gassed. His pass catch, on the otherhand gave me hope.

We need another big receiver to step up with the stud C. TE did look good and the TE and backs certainly help while Cleveland (or if he is ever healthy)and others might get it together. Love Powell, but as another poster put it, why does he make every post look difficult. No more #81 on kicks, way too valuable!

Tabor and QW, wow. Nough said.

My perception was that in the first half the DL was meh. The stats don't support my perceptions but we will see against the corndogs.

Great game Gator Nation

Swain.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I don't watch games for the "announcers" thus I have no problem with Verne and Gary. I was a little surprised how bad KY was. If as Danielson pointed out, "Stoops has had 4 solid recruiting years," then the problem lies elsewhere. Seems like Stoops removed his headset by late 3rd or early 4th quarter. Maybe he had already surrendered. Was overall pleased with the game; at least it was a big improvement over last week.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Verne polished off a 1.75 of Jack Daniels today, fyi!

Nice stuff C2. Eddie missed 2 FG's today, the 2nd was rushed a bit and was out of sync (not necessarily his fault, as it was ugly...the whole play). His first miss was just off a bit. We have a good kicker and he now has something to work on in practice.

LDR played great. I'd like to see his completion percentage improve, but that's just nickel and diming on my part (he plays like that vs. UT, LSU, UGA, etc and we likely win).

There were at least 3 personal fouls (hands to the face - CeCe, Unsportsman - Sherit (which was ticky-tack by the refs), and Dawson's). Those need to stop. And there were a few other bigger one's (block's in the back).

Only 4 WR's caught a ball today (Calloway, Powell, Worton, and Swain). Where was Cleveland?

Overall, a great game. Nice to see us kick the sh*t out of a team we're supposed to kick the sh*t out of!!

Cleveland hurt his hamstring again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great coverage Cover. You deserve your own booth. Right Zambo on the ground-bounce punts.
Bet Eddy thinks it out and practices to assure better accuracy. These Gators just gave UT & UGA
lots to fret over. We just need to grow even better.

Would love the OL and the D to get titer banshie-ism in their bloodflow, so they can plow UT and
UGa. OL with RBs need to slash off some long runs.

Next week, build a big enough lead so we can choose to give Townsend some game practice.
= happiest CFB Sunday in a long time. This stuff definitely will help with recruiting.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
RBs moving the chains, receivers hauling in >15yd passes, defense crushing the opponents attack with sacks and picks, fairly stable kicking game. Happy Gator here.
:chomp:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
-Those who went to the game can attest to the fact that it was HOT AS HELL. I had about 6 beers, 2 Gatorades, two bottles of water and a Coke yet peed only once all day. I was in the East stands with the sun all game and people were dropping like flies. It definitely had an effect on the Kentucky players. They were dragging by the end of the first quarter.

-I think Eddie is going to miss quite a few more kicks the rest of the year. He'll make some huge ones but he's like a pitcher with a 105 MPH fastball that has trouble throwing strikes. He's trying to hit 70 yarders when a 40 yarder will do.

-The entire secondary plays entirely different when Tabor is back there. They seem more focused and aggressive.

- LDR played very well and had all day to let plays develop. As he said, it's easy to play QB when your line actually blocks for you. Some of his throws would have been picked by faster DBs but he's smart and has the capacity to learn from his mistakes. I feel really good about him going forward.

-Anzalone was a beast. He recorded his own 3-and-out in the first quarter by making every tackle in the series. Hope he stays healthy.

-All and all a satisfying win against what looks to be a pretty bad Kentucky team. I don't think it really told us much about how we will compare to the likes of LSU, Georgia or Arkansas. Forget Alabama. We're not even close to that elite.....yet.

Good pitcher analogy. I agree, he's going to miss a few more....however, I think these misses in real games will let him know he's not invincible, and gives him something to work on.

Damn. I wonder if he's on the verge of a redshirt. We need a couple more WRs to step up though (we only had 4 WR's make a catch in the game).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We've come a long way in a week if our complaints are that the QB made a few ill advised passes (as if that didn't happen with EVERY top 25 QB yesterday), that ONLY four WRs caught a pass (but NINE players caught a pass) and that Eddie kicked a ball out of bounds (when backed up 15 yds)... ;) Did anyone mention that we only punted ONCE, in the FOURTH quarter with backups in, and it only went 54 yds? That sucked too! ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Damn. I wonder if he's on the verge of a redshirt. We need a couple more WRs to step up though (we only had 4 WR's make a catch in the game).
He can't earn a medical redshirt with a hammy. He has played so he isn't eligible for a regular redshirt and they must have doctor's certify the inability to play for x% of the season. That hammy will be healed in two weeks tops.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And just to point out the irony, we would have been relatively happy to beat UK with our UMASS score/stats and to beat UMASS with our UK score/stats... Perspective;)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Our opponents are a combined 0-4. Next week's patsy is also awful though they did beat BCC yesterday. Combined record of our first three opponents 1-5 with a lone win against an FCS team.

It was great to see us pound a nobody though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, T? You are saying we play some cupcakes in September? Thanks for point this out.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Perspective;)
tumblr_mfc1lwNaUX1qbyxr0o1_400.gif

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, T? You are saying we play some cupcakes in September? Thanks for point this out.

My personal opinion is that UK did not get off the plane and that they were still reeling from last week's meltdown.

We looked great. I just don't think we will know anything until UT.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He can't earn a medical redshirt with a hammy. He has played so he isn't eligible for a regular redshirt and they must have doctor's certify the inability to play for x% of the season. That hammy will be healed in two weeks tops.

It depends on the severity of the injury.

Debose had a hamstring injury and was out for 6 years. Granted his hamstring actually came off the bone but I digress…

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Mac sounded pretty disappointed about that. Says they don't know when/if they'll get him back.

Looking like a lost year for Cleveland. He better get it together. Rick Wells did not even dress. He's headed for a redshirt.

On the bright side, Swain reeled in his first of many TDs, Hammond is getting reps and CJ Worton has come back to be a decent third WR.

Meanwhile, Failwood is ... well, Failwood. Good blocking though ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator