Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Missouri

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every damned one of the players that got suspended should NOT be reinstated. Period. Let them go thug out somewhere else. It also gives that new hire we make an extra handful of schollys to get the players THEY want in here.
We can only sign 25 plus the number of EEs that count back.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen a Gator team that I couldn't even name some corrections needed?? The whole program seems gone? Damn Foley, damn Mcelwain, damn Nuss and the "slack plague" they've brought in. I can find no spot to build hope upon - just lost? Wait 'til next year has a hollow ring this early in the season.

You saw the same game I saw.
As you said, I don't even know where to start when it comes to identifying problem areas.

No heart, no focus, no strategy, no game plan, no chance...............
And just to pile on one more thing.....chicken sh!t coach kicks a field goal on 4th and one at the Mizzou 20 yard line when theoretically we were still in the game. How can I expect the players to play to win when Shannon would not?
I must say that I was quickly reminded of why Shannon washed out as a head coach.

Time to bench every senior and every junior that plans to declare for the abomination known as the NFL. Although I must say that the thought of CeCe (you can find me on a milk carton) Jefferson and Martez (the only solid hit I had yesterday was after the whistle) Ivey declaring for the NFL is the comic relief I needed this morning.

I feel worse about the state of the program than I have since Doug Dickey was in his last years because I cannot identify one area of our team that is championship capable (saying championship caliber would be embarrassing) from strength and conditioning to performance on the field.
The only positive I can come up with is that I am thankful that I am not a foolish, big money booster of this embarrassment called a football program.

Can we hire the new coach this week?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Every damned one of the players that got suspended should NOT be reinstated. Period. Let them go thug out somewhere else. It also gives that new hire we make an extra handful of schollys to get the players THEY want in here.

I understand the sentiment but we've gotten good results from young men who were given 2nd chances. Repeat offenders like Calloway however should be sent packing. I also would leave it up to the next coach. After all, he can only recruit 25-30 a year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The only positive I can come up with is that I am thankful that I am not a foolish, big money booster of this embarrassment called a football program.
Yeah, it's difficult to imagine what the boys who donate 7 figures to the program are thinking right now. This was botched so badly by Foley it's hard to believe.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
From a purely X&O standpoint.....is Florida simply lacking a game changing quarterback or is the entire offensive system flawed? Not just the play calling...the scheme itself?

Missouri looked like they had better "plays" than UF did. Most everyone the Gators have played look to have a coherent, thought-out system where receivers get open in space and running plays aren't sniffed out before the snap. Everything about UF's offense (not only the play calling) looks pieced together without rhyme or reason. I'm guessing the arrow points back to Nussmeier but I wonder from a coaching perspective just how elementary or disjointed the Gators offensive "system" appears to be. Again, this is apart from physical talent and player effort.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From a purely X&O standpoint.....is Florida simply lacking a game changing quarterback or is the entire offensive system flawed? Not just the play calling...the scheme itself?

Missouri looked like they had better "plays" than UF did. Most everyone the Gators have played look to have a coherent, thought-out system where receivers get open in space and running plays aren't sniffed out before the snap. Everything about UF's offense (not only the play calling) looks pieced together without rhyme or reason. I'm guessing the arrow points back to Nussmeier but I wonder from a coaching perspective just how elementary or disjointed the Gators offensive "system" appears to be. Again, this is apart from physical talent and player effort.
65, the easiest answer would be to say we are lacking personnel-wise in all units and groups to be proficient, hell, sufficient in any area consistently, especially against better teams. My opinion is what we are trying to do offensively would provide better results if we had a dominant OL. Predictability wouldn't be as big an issue. As it is, we've got a patchwork of kids that either too green, small, and not physical enough or a few that probably don't have any business playing in the SEC, at least not at this point in their college eligibility. OL recruiting issues have been ongoing as we all know too well. We've gotten bodies, I believe, these last couple of cycles, but they are yet to be difference-makers.

We want to line up and pound the defense, having 6-8 minute drives that result in either a score or field position advantage with a tired opposing D that would be vulnerable in the second half. Also, if we were to have a good D, which we did McElwain's first two seasons, you can usually keep it close late with a chance to win. It worked better against the low hanging fruit and even better in the Ol Sis win with Grier, but once we hit the bigger boys in November, predictability and lesser players on the OL and at Rec outside of Calloway doomed us.

This year, the OL has been sporadic, good (the run game) and bad mixed, but not consistent enough for us to win like we need. We have QB issues, to be sure, but our RECs outside of Cleveland and Toney, though Massey shows some signs of gonna be good, have been pedestrian to poor. Can't run routes well even though poor design hurts, and aren't real physical. Not the main reason by any means, but might be part of the reason Franks locks on to one receiver so much.

The run has been our most consistent group in a sea of inconsistency. Davis emerging as a special back helped, but he is done and Perine works but can't do it by himself. Jim Brown couldn't have run behind our OL yesterday. Even when they have put forth the effort, you see inconsistent execution of assignments on most plays. Fundamentally most are rough and/or not athletic or strong enough to do what they have to do in order for us to have a modicum of success. I don't believe our coaching has helped as much as needed and poor recruiting with regard to filling needs with quality has been a given. The whole thing has been described as a "Sh!t Show," and I don't think many would disagree.

I could go on, but this is longer than many want to read, but with any offense, especially one that wants to be run heavy, as the OL goes, so goes the O. Not giving Nussmeier a pass either, as he has been more harm with his predictability, slow calls, play designs, etc.

One last thing...we made a poor Mizzou look like a contender. Their plays looked better because they were running them against "air!"

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I dread watching the FSU game. I thought the Gators had a good chance to beat them, until Saturday...

I always say that the Gators and Alabama should be playing in the SEC Championship Game every year. I always like to see a competitive game. I'm glad they are not playing this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Screens passes, underneath crossing routes, powers, izzies and ozzies, that's what we run. Basically the same few passes run out of a multitude of formations. It may have worked fine in the WAC but the SEC has about 2-4 dozen QAs on staff watching film so they don't fall for that stuff like the WAC did.

The plays themselves work fine with the right players and when the defense doesn't know what's coming. They are also about 1/3 of a playbook. They work a lot better also if you don't concede that you won't throw beyond 5 yards. They also work so much better if you don't do stupid shyt like running playaction on 3rd and long (or any other situation when the defense is expecting a pass and ignoring the play fake), or running a draw on 2nd down when you run on 2nd down all the time and the defense is ignoring the pass and selling out to stop the run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.