Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. North Texas

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coming to you live on my phone from lovely Palatka (left iPad). Down here for daughter's competition skeet shoot. Had a nice meal at Corky Bell's but found them showing Bama and Ol' Piss on TVs. No problem. Hurried back to the hotel only to find no SEC network! Super pissed. Girls have to get rest to get going early. I've had a few beers (ok, several and couldn't drive to look for a viewing spot. So, listened on the car radio. Brought back memories of my childhood. Got my visual reports from Jr., who was watching back home. I'll probably add to this piece when I get back home. Here are some "observations!"

*LDR's injury doesn't sound too good right now to hear Mac talk about in post game. In fact, his words were "it doesn't look great." Hope he's alright sooner than later.mac was livid about the go-low and admitted that Ivey's ejection was most likely his fault. I commented to Jr., who verified the shot on the knee, that Lee McGriff said he was having a hard time seeing cause for an ejection. Either way, Ivey gone for the first half of UT. Mac also said that he cares a lot for his kids and it got away with him when Lule went down. Sounds a little like Zook, but in a good way.

*D got the shutout, front 7 seemed to play well, secondary was a little unfocused. Tabor was on the deck of the Starship Enterprise (hopefully not with Mr. Sulu) for several plays. But he's a big game guy and I'd expect him to be better next week. Davis and Zuniga, who looks to be on the rise, played pretty well. The unit held NT to a hair above 50 yds total offense. That part of the script was upheld. They pretty much pummeled the QB.

*Duke Dawson has a place in this old defensive guy's heart. He's still growing in coverage, but in this day of soft, high tackling (I know, they're preventing injuries), Duke is lighting 'em up out there. He can make the other team's skills find him pre-snap. I line what I'm seeing from him.

*OL can get a push when the rush is between the tackles. They aren't very good if the run is off tackle or designed outside. Kind of belies a lack of athleticism and worse, bad feet by several players in that unit. Pass pro still needs work.

*If Appleby is the guy next week, the OL most likely will have to pave the way for about 300 rushing. His sample size is small, but I just don't know if he can be a threat with his arm. We'll see. Good thing is we've got 4 good backs, each of whom got relatively equal touches and a TD each.

*As stated, our backs are good. As several have said, Perine can remind you of Emmitt at times. But Scarlett is the boy dog of that group to me. Always seems to get 4-5 yds each carry and gets a lot of YAC. Each has skills that they are good at. To restate, we'll need their depth when the wear and tear mounts around mid season.

*We've got some kickers! Raymond is an elite punter. His worst kick was a 46 yard low liner. The rest were over 50 with hang time. Eddie wasn't called on much tonight but we know about him. Two weapons.

*Not that anybody cares, but did I mention F$U got their @sses handed to them today?! Best thing was I heard that Petrino was seen leaving the stadium on his bike with Candy Fisher. Noles taking it on every level it would seem.

*Return of too many penalties (and several dumb, lazy ones). Can't afford that many next week. Tabor and Wilson's PI's wee just sorry. Expect better from them.

*Somebody check Law's pulse, as Trask is likely a turned ankle away from the helm!

Probably could have started each bullet with "meh, it's North Texas!" But we kept it somewhat interesting. No doubt we were looking ahead. Don't think we're good enough to do that. Then we have empty offensive possessions, the worst of which was a 3 and out on the first series of the 2nd half. That was when we should have come to life and paved the way for about 50. But we've got a lot to work on still and no one is surprised. We'll see what can be done by next week. Again, the OL needs to have their best day yet for us to prevail IMO. D just has to be consistent and intense with less penalties. Interestingly enough, they've got to have a few. None = not aggressive enough as opposed to disciplined. Should be interesting and we'll have a better gauge by Saturday evening. Looking forward to your comments and feedback. As always, Go Gators!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong!

Just kidding, I gotta go read it. Just wanted to have the first reply.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You poor basterd! The game wasnt on the sec network. It was espu

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't matter T. Didn't have that either! Still, my bad. Somebody must have spiked my beers at Corky Bell's.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree some on the RBs so far. They have very pedestrian numbers considering we played 3 of the worst defenses in all of FBS probably. We will find out the truth against Tenn I guess with how good our running game is this year.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good God, you posted all that from your phone? JFC! And these are points of emphasis from your observations via a transistor radio? GTFO.

Either way, Ivey gone for the first half of UT.
And this is wrong. Finally got something on you. :yes:

Other than that, good stuff.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
In his post game call-in show, Steve Russell said they were notified in the press box that Ivey IS NOT gone for the first half. He was not sure why, but he said it came from SEC offices.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry guys, missed the Ivey update. Last I heard was Lee confirming it post game. Glad I missed that one.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fever, I guess it's a relative about the RBs. True that their production has been against not so good Ds, but they're also running behind a not so good OL! And there's 4 of them, too along with when in the game they are inserted e.g. the downplay of Perine' prior good performance at games' end against a gassed poor D. Next Satuday we find out maybe what is and what may yet to be.

NV, I was raised on the radio and still a pretty good listener I guess. Old folks gonna old!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Still hard to tell. UT will be the definitive answer on our running game. Me? I think Perine is gonna be the real deal. QB situations is all ifs ands and buts. Our def. is looking good no matter how you dissect it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In his post game call-in show, Steve Russell said they were notified in the press box that Ivey IS NOT gone for the first half. He was not sure why, but he said it came from SEC offices.

Even the officials in Birmingham knew that was BS.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover gotta give you props for posting on a phone with Beer on board. Great stuff. Listening to the radio reminds me of my childhood listening Otis. Good analysis.

Just looks to me that Perrine has "it". Give me a lot of memories of another 22 running that ball. LDR being hurt is a changer for UF but I still think UF has what it needs for this week. We've said all along we need a QB to manage the offense and no reason to think that they cannot have AA ready to do so. You're right the run game is the key. UF should line up, QB under center, and run straight at the Vols between the tackles. UT's run D is very suspect. Here's to hoping I'm right.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is Raymond, the punter?

I think AA will finish with a good day next week but he'll throw no more than 20 passes. Hopefully he knows the offense better because that is what is holding him back. luke would throw on time where AA would hold the ball like Treon.

Let's face it, if Tenn even score than our defense has failed. Their offense looks like the bad news bear campared to ours. We should win easily. In the off season, I gave a prediction of 27 - 9 Gators and then rethought that to be 38-10 after watching both teams. With LDR gone, I am back to 27-9 score. Go Gators

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw where Law said in the box he was posting from jail. Hope wasn't at the game and "Woody Haysed" Trask after LDR went out!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like all the backs, but Perine is the one who breaks tackles. He's the cream of the crop.

Polite is better that expected. I remember discussions about him during recruiting that claimed he'd probably redshirt. This is two weeks he's look good and appears to be in the two deep rotation.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Completely agree. I think all the backs looked good, but I keep coming back to JS as the best. Perine is like a ball of muscle going through and he and Cronk can catch. Thompson impressed me with how fast he was in the open field, but I think others are better at power running. If Thompson could catch with his size....

The OL does not seem athletic at all, when pulling things get ugly quick as well as with speed rushers. I would leave a back in on every play. LDR was not sharp pre injury and threw way too many balls into coverage. Receivers were not doing him any favors and are not getting separation they need. JA also forced a couple in there that I cringed at. Could be a lot of picks against better teams. Simplify..

Defense, damn, they were motoring all night. DBU had a few issues, but still, damn. Dawson and Maye both had some great run reads and tackles. Davis could have some huge sacks if he slowed down a hair and was more in control, but if that is his downside The youngsters on the DL also looked good. Clearly the tackling drops off with the 2's and 3's but no lack of effort.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With Del Rio out Tenn is going to really stack the box to stop the run. AA is going to have to hit some passes. Maybe some play action and go deep early to soften that D

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.