Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. North Texas

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah its against terrible offenses, but most teams have played three Baby Seals also.

We are off to great start. Lbs could be the best in the nation if injuries dont strike us. DTs have been serviceable. I still fear how they will look vs good OLs or if we have injuries there.
Injuries are definitely my biggest fear. I'll take our first team over anybody else in the country, but the depth is pretty scary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he was really in jail it would be for contempt.....again.
I did have a "judge" (lay magistrate) thrw a gavel at me once. :lmao2: I probably deserved it.

You should have seen the look onthe bailiff's face.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone comment on how some of the younger linemen that played looked? I know that the overall performance of the OL, despite the "quiet" yardage totals, can probably be viewed as underwhelming with maybe the exception of the runs between the tackles that required base blocking, but Mick and Lee specifically mentioned Desir-Jones in the rotation pre-game. Just curious as to what any perceptions are. Depth of this unit has seemed to be an issue for the last ten years. You'd think despite recruiting woes that have seemed to trend a fraction better with this group that we might get a glimmer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone comment on how some of the younger linemen that played looked? I know that the overall performance of the OL, despite the "quiet" yardage totals, can probably be viewed as underwhelming with maybe the exception of the runs between the tackles that required base blocking, but Mick and Lee specifically mentioned Desir-Jones in the rotation pre-game. Just curious as to what any perceptions are. Depth of this unit has seemed to be an issue for the last ten years. You'd think despite recruiting woes that have seemed to trend a fraction better with this group that we might get a glimmer.
It was hit or miss. Desir and Big Fred both played at RG. Fred looked better on running plas, even pulled a few times, and Desir looked better in pass pro IMO. Dillard looked good, not overpowering but solid. JT did well in pass pro but we arent doing well running behind him. He is getting beat setting the edge.

The sack on LDR was C Lewis on their best DE. I dont know where Sharp was.

After Applebees score amd the failed 2 point conversion, they switched to 2s and a couple of 3s on the OL.

I didnt go back and watch a replay to concentrate on OL play so those were just initial impressions.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was hit or miss. Desir and Big Fred both played at RG. Fred looked better on running plas, even pulled a few times, and Desir looked better in pass pro IMO. Dillard looked good, not overpowering but solid. JT did well in pass pro but we arent doing well running behind him. He is getting beat setting the edge.

The sack on LDR was C Lewis on their best DE. I dont know where Sharp was.

After Applebees score amd the failed 2 point conversion, they switched to 2s and a couple of 3s on the OL.

I didnt go back and watch a replay to concentrate on OL play so those wear just initial impressions.
Thanks Law. If nothing else, at least they are getting some actual game reps. Glad Fred had some good snaps at OG. Minimal injuries this season has got to be a goal and then adding quality numbers, as we all know and have been waiting for, is important.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
3rd and goal inside the one first quarter....false start...Desir-Jones.......settled for FG

Later false starts by Fred, Sharpe, Jawaan, and maybe one other....turrible.......OL got too much belly rub after KY.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Law. If nothing else, at least they are getting some actual game reps. Glad Fred had some good snaps at OG.
He got a lot of snaps, like maybe half. I dont remember for sure what happened when Martez got tossed but I think Desir played LG and Fred played RG. It might have been someone else at LG like Sandifer though. I was too shocked from the injury and shortly thereafter they put in the next wave of OL.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
3rd and goal inside the one first quarter....false start...Desir-Jones.......settled for FG

Later false starts by Fred, Sharpe, Jawaan, and maybe one other....turrible.......OL got too much belly rub after KY.....
Thanks Goon. I'd like to think that all the shuffling was a factor. Regardless, we can't afford to have these brain malfunctions next week. Minimization of these brain function disorders is one of the big keys to victory. This group (OL) have to get big in a hurry. Having Ivey "unsuspended" should help you'd think. Still getting the sense that the coaches might not be altogether set or comfortable with the rotations and who plays well with whom. I guess we'll know a lot more soon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Got to looking at some of the stats while watching some highlights. Have to remember the competition, but if nothing else, some of what we've done is what you'd at least expect against the poorer teams in the early season games. Anyway, these tidbits stuck out:
  • We have accumulated 16 sacks in the three games. Zuniga leads with 4 followed by Anzalone with 2.5 and Davis, Sherit, and Polite with 2. Brantley has 1, but it resulted in a safety. I'll be surprised if we continue to average 5+ per game, but it is a good way to start and certainly exciting to see Zuniga doing what he and some other members of the DL are doing.
  • Davis leads all tacklers with 18 total (8 solo 10 assisted). Bryan Cox only has 2 tackles thus far. Would have expected Cox to have been more of a factor so far.
  • 4 interceptions by the D.
  • Our 4-headed RB's have gained 585 yds and lost only 5 in 111 attempts.
a8810f3e-ebbe-4988-a8f3-9fd967bc73b7

It'll be interesting to see how these early trends go as we get into the meat of the schedule. Ideally, if injuries if don't play a part you'd expect the guys to improve steadily if not dramatically with the mounting game experience. As long as we don't go backwards against the better teams (see last four games last year), I'd have to think some positive factors are in place with regard to player maturity and buy-in as well as the coaches getting them prepared. OL, of course, remains the biggest position group of concern.

rswgator

May 28, 2016
Last week was way better but it didn't seem like it was a crazy offensive explosion despite all the yards. Maybe its because so many of the yards came off dink and dunk type passing plays. It reminds me a little of the 2014 season where our offense was doing good the first 3 games out of the gate.

Gators SHOULD always do good early in season, due to the patsies they always play. Watch first game next year and see what rushing yardage is, bet its not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.