Bits & Pieces: Florida vs South Carolina

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The game had a lot of good and a few bad.
We showed progress and a template for how we can win with a still-developing roster that unfortunately has its limitations.

I hope Napier noticed that our team can play with urgency and we don't need a plodding, hold the ball strategy to win every time. We have great skill players at RB, WR, and TE and proper scheming can get them open...even with our limitations on the OL and at QB.

Our defense has improved enough that while we won't win games on defense alone, they're capable of getting a few stops a game (we weren't last year or most of the last several).

This is still a young team and we all know it's not the finished product. There's progress, but room for improvement too. Celebrating the win today and hope we can rest up for the Cocktail Party and surprise a few people.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
The comparison hit me yesterday immediately when Pearsall caught the winning TD pass. When compared side-by-side, they are eerily close in the route run---the form used to make the catch--and the end result. Only difference it wasn't Mick making the animated call, it was our new guy. Just fun to watch, compare, and somewhat equate the two. When I say eerily---just watch both guys catching it over the left shoulder and pulling it in. IMO, that's scary similar. 30 years ago---hard to believe.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The comparison hit me yesterday immediately when Pearsall caught the winning TD pass. When compared side-by-side, they are eerily close in the route run---the form used to make the catch--and the end result. Only difference it wasn't Mick making the animated call, it was our new guy. Just fun to watch, compare, and somewhat equate the two. When I say eerily---just watch both guys catching it over the left shoulder and pulling it in. IMO, that's scary similar. 30 years ago---hard to believe.

This right here is the power of sports.
The second they showed that replay, my first thought was "wow--that's near-identical to the Doering TD."

Then we all go back here and see how many of us had that exact observation--and the memories it brought back for all of us.

A lot of great moments over the last 30 years--and Cheers to many more for us in the future.

Go Gators!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2 gets a +++++ for his observations!

Many posters get +++

And a few don't seem to understand how to enjoy a win.

Kind of like life in general.

Our Team is very young and still learning how to win in the SEC, but this game had plenty of "Good" plays and should give us some hope going forward. Just don't implode if things don't meet your expectations over the next 5 weeks.

We are The Gators and we beat USCe yesterday!!!!!!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are several good things this week that many didn't think they'd see from this young gator team: 1) A road win, 2) downfield passing, 3) 400+ yards through the air, 4) a two-minute offense that resulted in points (which happened twice!), 5) a come from behind victory when down two scores in the fourth, and 6) good special teams play.

Sure there were negatives and win this wasn't perfect, but there's a lot of people who didn't think these six things were possible just two weeks ago. There's been a lot of growing up with this young team, and I'm happy for them and the coaches. This is a really good win. Hopefully, the growth and maturation continues so there will be more good ones to come. I think there will be. This feels like a turning point for this program.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Two observations. One, that was an awesome game to watch. I think this is the only road game where the teams was prepared to play their hearts out. Two, was our TV really that bad as that Doering clip? That was awful to watch.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Now for the negative: At least 4 FG should have been TDs. That's 16 points. Can't afford to do that on the road (or anytime really). Get the redzone woes fixed.
Im actually going to disagree here. If anyone had been told we would score 40+ anywhere, let alone on the road, we would have been ecstatic. The fact that we did it with 4 FGs further speaks to how drastically improved the offense was in this game. Im not going to btch about scoring 40 on the road in a division game, dont care how we got there.

The bar has been set and now we need to sustain it and improve upon it. Now does that mean i expect us to hang 40 on the dwags in 2 weeks? No, frankly i dont see how we do much of anything, but i do expect competence, discipline and a lack of mental mistakes. The team and staff have proven they have it in em, now its time to show it consistently. Consistency of competence and improvement is all that most of us have been asking for since week 1. Let's get it going and maybe, just maybe, with a legit OC next year, we may actually have something to get excited about.

Ox - take a breath, dont want you to pass out.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Rattler did enough to win it for SC and BN said in the presser they improved their OL in the open date. It did keep Rattler safer and allowed them to run more. But their D lost it for them. Beamer scorched his defense and kinda sounded like the coaching, too. They really shouldn't have lost,... crushing loss. A week off, homecoming, now to be 2-4. Sucks to be them.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
At least 4 FG should have been TDs. That's 16 points. Can't afford to do that on the road (or anytime really). Get the redzone woes
Should have been? It would have been nice, but I'm not sure they “should have been”. And only one of those FGs came from a drive where we even got into the red zone. The other FG’s were from drives that ended outside USCe’s 25.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Cover2, I thought Napier was Muschamp #2 with the pound and ground offense. I am here to apologize to Coach Napier for having those thoughts. :exactly:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Cover2, I thought Napier was Muschamp #2 with the pound and ground offense. I am here to apologize to Coach Napier for having those thoughts. :exactly:
All gator fans want Billy to succeed. They may all go about it differently but we all want to win. I finally saw our team play the whole 60 minutes and it was a good win. We dont know who shows up in two weeks. Billy has shown us his Jeckel and Hyde. We can only hope things continue to improve.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A month ago we lose this game without question. Good to be on the other end of a see saw battle . The SC secondary is probably the worst in the league outside of Vandy so hopefully our guys can build on this with better execution away from the swamp .

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
After entering the game cautiously optimistic, I have to admit to having a feeling that the chance to grab that elusive road win was slipping away with the blocked field goal attempt in the 4th quarter (Heavens! The ’Reverse Cock Block?!’). Despite some signs of life in a downfield passing attack, a response to calls far and wide to attack vertically more than horizontally, the OL was unable to provide a consistent pocket and untimely penalties seemed to continue popping up at the worst times and voila, a 10 point late 4th quarter deficit was sneering “not today Gators!”

The entire game to this point had played, in my mind at least, like a rambling, up and down, Bob Dylan ballad. “Tangled Up in Blue” maybe. Not what I was hoping for against the 2-3 Cocks. I was more in the mood for “Mama Said Knock You Out” or even a celebratory “Jump Around!” It was looking like it wasn’t meant to be. And then almost as suddenly, it was. A Mertz to Boardingham pass with 4:40 remaining culminated a drive to cut the USCe lead to 3. Then after forcing a punt and converting on a long 4th down to Pearsall and a deflection off Pearsall’s hands to Trey Wilson, Mertz hit “Pretty Ricky” on a skinny post for the go-ahead and ultimate winning score with :47 seconds remaining. Spencer Rattler, who was 23-30 with 4 TDs, had one last shot but was intercepted and after a series of kneel-downs, a safety, and a successful kick cover, the road woes were temporarily over and the Gators had a two game winning streak. Someone on the “SEC Final“ quoted the Old Ball Coach…”God smiled on the Gators!” Yes He did.

* Good Numbers: Mertz 30-48, 423 yds, 3TDs. Pearsall 10 rec, 166 yds, TD. Boardingham 5 rec, 55 yds, TD. Trey Wilson 8 rec, 83 yds.

* Bad Numbers: UF 71 rushing yds. Mertz sacked 3 times. 6 penalties for 48 yds including a pressure resulting in intentional grounding and a roughing the passer that kept a USCe drive alive. As previously mentioned, Rattler 23-30, 313 yds, 4 TDs.

* SEC pre-game crew was 1-3 on their picks for the USCe / UF game with Timmy being the only host picking the Gators to overcome the road woes on this Saturday! Great Gator to a fault!

* Not happy with several No-calls by the officiating crew Saturday, but struggling and poor teams can’t expect to be bailed out with calls and to our credit we were able to win without them. A step toward maturity?

Even though it’s nice to get to bask in the glow of a much-needed win that featured an offensive coming-out of sorts, the reality is that after a bye week we’ve got the grinder facing us the rest of the way, starting with the Dawgs in Jacksonville. But we’re heading in at 5-2 instead of the reverse and on a two game upswing. The Mutts looked a little more pedestrian against spunky Vandy, it’s a rivalry, so who’s to say we can’t make a game of it? But the offensive improvements will have to expand beyond the passing game numbers and include much, much better protection and the ability to run more effectively once more. Defensively, we’ve got to pressure and cover better, lest Beck continues his good QB play of late.

The theme of one game at a time, improve incrementally, continues. It looks daunting and many forecasters give us a chance for maybe, maybe one more win. But that’s not what we’re playing for. I think despite the struggles, you’ve got to give Billy some credit for the aggressive changes to the offense and for a little up-tick in the in-game and sideline energy. Mertz and Pearsall attested to the upbeat and focused preparation that obviously played a hand in the overall attitude and determination that helped make Saturday’s victory possible. Young team growing up and believing? Why not? It’s about time and what’s expected, isn’t it? Football and sports in general are greatly affected by generated momentum. The possum made it across the road. Let’s build on it and keep it going in Jax in two weeks!

Go Gators!
:chomp:
You think we might be better off playing next week with the momentum that we could lose with a week off or are healing and the extra practice time to shore things up paramount?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I read this and thought, meh, I'm sure even Muschamp had at least 1 game where the passing went off and looked back at the 2011-2014 seasons. Damn, it was far worse. It was under 200 yards passing about 50% of the time. Brantley cleared 300 yds once (against Furman). Then Murphy had 305 against Vandy. That's it. Over 4 years.

But, even during muschamps run that many here saw having an inevitable ending, there were just as many criticizing our own fans if a win came with comments about the style not being sustainable to win championships in the long run and how Gators fans suffer winning etc.

Yet, I think I've only seen @Bushmaster point out that we threw a ball at/behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 12. If Boardingham does not simply make a "I'm better than you" play, we likely lose (especially since we had used up 2 minutes to go 26 yards at that point and were still not in any rush).

If Boardingham gets tackled, we get the ball back with under 3-4 minutes and down 2+ scores. AAAAND, then most in here are screaming about the play call and conservative nature of Mertz and Billy.

Point being, this narrow margin against a 2-4 team is concerning even if we are happy and rightly also pointing out all the other improvements. Because, in the end, to many of us, our interest is not about beating a 2-4 s carolina team. It is about winning championships and showing that is more likely than not with this staff. Yesterday helped, but left a lot that still suggests a championship is an uphill battle with this staff.

Here is the Boardingham play:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You think we might be better off playing next week with the momentum that we could lose with a week off or are healing and the extra practice time to shore things up paramount?
I don’t know that the recovery / healing time and extra prep isn’t more important at this point, although I do realize the importance of gaining and riding momentum when you can. There’s a reason both us and UGA have a bye this week and it has a lot to do with being as well-prepped as we both can be for this rivalry game.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I read this and thought, meh, I'm sure even Muschamp had at least 1 game where the passing went off and looked back at the 2011-2014 seasons. Damn, it was far worse. It was under 200 yards passing about 50% of the time. Brantley cleared 300 yds once (against Furman). Then Murphy had 305 against Vandy. That's it. Over 4 years.

But, even during muschamps run that many here saw having an inevitable ending, there were just as many criticizing our own fans if a win came with comments about the style not being sustainable to win championships in the long run and how Gators fans suffer winning etc.

Yet, I think I've only seen @Bushmaster point out that we threw a ball at/behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 12. If Boardingham does not simply make a "I'm better than you" play, we likely lose (especially since we had used up 2 minutes to go 26 yards at that point and were still not in any rush).

If Boardingham gets tackled, we get the ball back with under 3-4 minutes and down 2+ scores. AAAAND, then most in here are screaming about the play call and conservative nature of Mertz and Billy.

Point being, this narrow margin against a 2-4 team is concerning even if we are happy and rightly also pointing out all the other improvements. Because, in the end, to many of us, our interest is not about beating a 2-4 s carolina team. It is about winning championships and showing that is more likely than not with this staff. Yesterday helped, but left a lot that still suggests a championship is an uphill battle with this staff.

Here is the Boardingham play:

I agree.

You can go back and look at the game again and find all kinds of negatives with the play calls. (I did and I did)

BN still needs an OC and ST coach.

What this game showed me is, if he does make those changes in the off season, he will allow the OC to call verticle passing plays.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.