Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennssee

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I put most of the blame for this loss on the coaches. You can never take your foot off the throttle at half time, especially on the road in front of 100,000 screaming fans

Both QBs threw better than I thought they would. I don't know what happened to our secondary. They really did not look good except when they were in the red zone. Callaway. Best player and worst player in the game. Need to practice the on sides kick more. They are always a crapshoot but you need to get that first hop.

For those who are suggesting we fire everybody, step away from the ledge. Hopefully this can be a learning experience for the team and the coaches.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All three would have been in the endzone.

Even if they aren't in the end zone... if you get lucky and it dies at the 1. How is that any different then a fair catch at the 1? It isn't! The only difference is the fair catch has no chance of anything good happening and only can result in bad field position or a muff!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you remember during Muschamp's first season and into his second? You just knew this wasn't THE guy. I feel similar to that. It's an awful and helpless feeling.
I was still hopeful going into the second season. By Oct I knew we were EXACTLY the team he wanted us to be and would never be successful.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Even if they aren't in the end zone... if you get lucky and it dies at the 1. How is that any different then a fair catch at the 1? It isn't! The only difference is the fair catch has no chance of anything good happening and only can result in bad field position or a muff!

Again, that is why you stand on the 12.. if it goes over your head, you just get away.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I keep seeing "2nd half conservative play calling" as the rallying point for dissatisfaction, but I'll say again that I believe the energy expended in the first half, together with our lack of depth (especially on offense) dictated the 2nd half. If we ran the same offense in the 2nd half, UT would have had about 12 sacks and the only surviving QB would have been Jorge Powell. Our best chance was to try to leverage our only position of depth, RB, but with an O line of tackle dummies, it made for the long string of 3 and outs that gave our D no rest. UT stopped making mistakes, and out-bodied us.

I knew we were in trouble when our boys were cramping at the end of the first half. We ran all of the gas out of the tank that first half . . . And played well and with heart. I almost wonder if we'd have been better being slightly more conservative in the first half and be up 14-10, with gas left.

The biggest problem I have with the coaching and plan was special teams (WTF?!?!) and lack of depth.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I knew we were in trouble when our boys were cramping at the end of the first half. We ran all of the gas out of the tank that first half . . .

Vols should have been the ones running out of gas. Are we not well conditioned? Did the indoor practice facility prevent us from getting into shape for hot humid games?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UF - $7.7M
Clemson - $7.6M
Miss - $7.4M

UCLA - $7.3M
Iowa - $7.2M

From the looks of that list, I'd say that Clemson and Miss are definitely getting the most bang for their buck!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stand on the 12, if it goes over your head. Let it go.
Yes, but I heard Mac say in the post game presser that Callaway did exactly what they told him to on one of those...he put his heels on the 8 yard line and caught it there. So apparently he is coached to catch it from the 8 and up... I remember thinking that's odd as conventional wisdom has always been the 10.

So actually, in ONE of the THREE times he caught it inside the 10, he was actually supposed to...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, but I heard Mac say in the post game presser that Callaway did exactly what they told him to on one of those...he put his heels on the 8 yard line and caught it there. So apparently he is coached to catch it from the 8 and up... I remember thinking that's odd as conventional wisdom has always been the 10.

So actually, in ONE of the THREE times he caught it inside the 10, he was actually supposed to...

Didn't hear that so, he caught it one of the three times it fell inside the 10 as coached. The muffed and caught one on the one which isn't part of coaching.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Yes.. I listened to the post game this morning and he did say he is taught to catch the ball on the 8. I'm sure there is a reason it is the 8 and not the 10, but either way you don't catch it on the 3 and the 1!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I almost wonder if we'd have been better being slightly more conservative in the first half and be up 14-10, with gas left.

200w.gif

Dude... You score all the friggin points you can... Especially in the FIRST HALF... And are you also suggesting that our D should have played with slightly less intensity and allowed a TD, so as to rest up for the second half?

200w.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Nuss was horrific. I think the 1st 15 or so plays are scripted. This staff prepares well but can't do in game adjustments.

(2) If the scripted plays work well, make up 25 or 50 scripts of 20 plays apiece. Give each of them descriptive labels, for what we're trying to do/exploit, or what defensive situation/s they're designed to handle.

For fast-play stretches, could even tell the QB "run Script 12 unless/until we send in something different."

This has been in my mind as well, lately. How many are scripted, and why not create a few scripts to run during the game if they work so well? Secondly, how much of a hand does Mac have in the scripting as opposed to Nuss....inquiring minds want to know. If it works so well, find a way to maximize it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ten wins and a trip to ATL. He peaked in year one. Kinda sad.

Your opinion...after the first loss of this season. Your remarks have no merit. There are no facts about peaking in year one. He may have been luckier than Les for his first year, but there is no telling how the rest of this year will play out, unless you have a crystal ball or have travelled back in time. All you have is your opinion, based on that feeling in your gut which will likely make you hurl before long. But it's not a foregone conclusion.

I expect you'll call me a pumper for this response, but I don't see pumping in this reply. I see a need for facts. You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how bad it sucks, but it will remain an opinion.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
200w.gif

Dude... You score all the friggin points you can... Especially in the FIRST HALF... And are you also suggesting that our D should have played with slightly less intensity and allowed a TD, so as to rest up for the second half?

200w.gif

You missed the point. We have a depth problem...in some places it's significant. It's a 60 minute game. Winning the 1st half gets you nothing but participation ribbons if you can't close the deal.

The operative word there was "I wonder". I think the first half was great...awesome in fact. But the reality is that our lack of depth meant we had to overplay guys at a high intensity level, and that the conservative play calling in the 2nd half was in some part due to being gassed, and having a bunch of kids in diapers as our backups. Maybe the strategy was just that - gas to the floor, try to get as much separation on the scoreboard as possible, and then hope to hold on.

It didn't work.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Your opinion...after the first loss of this season. Your remarks have no merit. There are no facts about peaking in year one. He may have been luckier than Les for his first year, but there is no telling how the rest of this year will play out, unless you have a crystal ball or have travelled back in time. All you have is your opinion, based on that feeling in your gut which will likely make you hurl before long. But it's not a foregone conclusion.

I expect you'll call me a pumper for this response, but I don't see pumping in this reply. I see a need for facts. You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how bad it sucks, but it will remain an opinion.

It does suck. It sucks knowing we have a middle of the road staff. They can't coach very well and they can't recruit very well.

He's 3-4 in his last 7 games with 4 blow outs to ranked teams in a row.

Sure he could turn it around and win out and clean up on NSD. The odds are against him at this point. He is what he is...an average coach and recruiter. Slice it, dice it, flip it over, dress it up...it doesn't matter. We can all pray together and sing kumbaya and shoot rainbows out of our asses...it doesn't matter. He's an average coach. Sorry.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It does suck. It sucks knowing we have a middle of the road staff. They can't coach very well and they can't recruit very well.

He's 3-4 in his last 7 games with 4 blow outs to ranked teams in a row.

Sure he could turn it around and win out and clean up on NSD. The odds are against him at this point. He is what he is...an average coach and recruiter. Slice it, dice it, flip it over, dress it up...it doesn't matter. We can all pray together and sing kumbaya and shoot rainbows out of our asses...it doesn't matter. He's an average coach. Sorry.

Cut and paste for every forum and every post so you dont have to keep retyping this....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This has been in my mind as well, lately. How many are scripted, and why not create a few scripts to run during the game if they work so well? Secondly, how much of a hand does Mac have in the scripting as opposed to Nuss....inquiring minds want to know. If it works so well, find a way to maximize it.
Kind of butting in here, but there are several ways to script plays. In the old days, some of the guys would script the first 10. Of course, the script was based on defensive tendencies that were taken from the opponent's film and scouting reports and each working (positive gain, score). Sometimes the script was good; other times, it got wadded up after a play in the sequence got stuffed. Most nowadays are more complex and there are multiples, as they are based on starting field position, hash, down and distance, and proximity to the end of each half, as well as the defensive tendencies. There may be a master list of a number of plays in sequence, but I'd bet they are more likely in chart form and are divided run/pass and columned by the aforementioned variables and relative situations (e.g. quick strike after a sudden change, power run formation to play action fade when penned inside the 5, etc.). Some guys stick strictly to the script while others will leave it and play on a hunch during certain in-game situations. Might have been what happened in the 2nd half. Among coaches, there are the cautious and the daring on the ends of the spectrum and many in between. The best have a knack of knowing when to be aggressive and when not to.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Having never played, I'd assumed it was a set script of specific plays so as to limit the thinking by the players. Adaptability to situation makes sense, but at some point you transition from 'adjusting the script' to 'just calling plays' and you'll have to have practiced them all randomly as opposed to knowing what the next 2-3 plays will be.

I'd love to know how Mac & Nuss work their approach to this, and where it can be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator