Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All right sports fans, just how underwhelmed were you with this opener? More questions than answers maybe? Well, it was a first game and we didn't join the parade of SEC losers on opening day, so I guess that was good. Not a lot to jump up and down about, but we'll talk about the things that were noteworthy and not so much. Here goes:

*Del Rio probably looked more serviceable than assassin to many. Truth is, he wasn't that bad. He won't wow anybody with his arm strength, but he's pretty accurate for the most part. SOS remarked that he wasn't sure how good the guys around him were, which is a fair point at this juncture. I'd add "yet" to his comment. I thought he was good on his check downs and seems to know the offense well enough with regard to where the receivers are. He had a lull in the middle, but finished above 50% in completions. Hurt by some drops but didn't fall out like some and this speaks to his maturity, which a guy who is at his third school may be suspect at. Should show improvement as the season wears on, obviously, but with his arm strength and as a pocket guy, I wonder how high that ceiling will be? Stay tuned.

*The shutout that wasn't...thanks to 35 yards in foolish penalties on UMass' lone TD drive. Actually, too many penalties altogether. Count was at 80 yards early in the 4th quarter. Kids cause them, but Collins is the guy that has to eat them. This often gets written off as a trait of an "aggressive" defense, which is code for "we're kind of undisciplined." If the D coaches do it right, we should see a marked improvement from Game 1 to 2.

*DBEwwww? Not really, but we saw a few holes. Losing Dawson was big, as the guy was lightin' 'em up out there. But we gave up three or four big plays that we shouldn't have. Some of that can be pinned on freshmen (Putu, et al), but one play in particular showed the UMass guy come off a rub to the middle with no one on him and our safety made the read about 10 seconds later and held him to a long gain. Tabor ought to buy his mates dinner after this one. We should have held them to about 10 yards passing. Some work to do for this group, but they get better next week, barring Frazier/Ali IV.

*Front 7 wasn't bad. Pass rush was pretty good, save a couple of whiffs. Zuniga looked good and maybe is going to live up to the praises garnered in the preseason. LBs were decent. Anzalone looked good and made some big plays, but we all held our breath when he was injured. Thank goodness it was just a cut, but I'm holding my breath he doesn't get MERSA as a result with his luck. A lot to look forward to if they stay healthy.

*OL still developing. Kind of been the byline for about a decade it seems. Really, they did some good things. Opened some holes for the backs, as evidenced by several good runs. Pass pro was a little shakey at times. Fred Johnson had a few tough plays that were shown on replay, for example. I thought the analysts made a good point that we looked much stronger on the left side than the right, though Ivey had a couple of "look outs." Still, I get the sense that they are developing. Wondering about the depth?

*Offensive Player of the Game? Eddie P, of course! I know it's only one game, but when's the last time we've felt this good about the place kicker? Loved his enthusiasm. Stay salty young man and don't wake up and realize that you never did this before tonight.

*Probably was the right thing to do, but I've never been a fan of taking points off the board, especially that early in the game. Wonder if Mac would rethink if given the opportunity? Just trying to get the offense some confidence, I suppose.

*How 'bout Scarlett? Kid looks better directed this year, ran hard and with authority. Kronkrite and Thompson looked good, but Scarlett was the guy. Wonder how many yards after contact he got? Seemed like a ton. He looks like he took the lead. Best thing is that 3 good ones should help with the wear and tear of the season.

*Rookie Lowlight...Powell's catch and TD run was even more spectacular when you consider Freddie Swain's loaf and no block on the play. Welcome to college ball, young man. When you aren't catching it, there's still a job to be done. Kid did make a couple of nice catches, though.

The old saying that a team shows their greatest improvement between Game 1 and 2. Let's hope so. Biggest group will likely be the receivers and whether they get past the first game growing pains (maybe a stretch) and get in greater sync with LDR. Defense? Clean up the penalties and get Tabor back. Hopefully Dawson isn't serious. Been typing and haven't heard of an update. They'll have to be better. This team will be exciting, but maybe not always in the best ways early on. Trick is how much they decrease the gap between goofs and consistency. Really looking forward to keeping the UK streak going. Anybody hear from Catmania lately? Is he a Chatter member? Hope so. He'll have a lot of sh!t to talk after our performance. We're 1-0 and that's better than 0-1 going into the UK matchup. Game just became that much more important in my mind. Questions to be answered. Looking forward to your thoughts. Go Gators :chomp:

*Edit - Forgot to add how great it was seeing and hearing the Ol' Ball Coach in the Swamp again. Might have been the games' biggest highlight!

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It is hard to sugarcoat an offensive performance against this level of a team where you don't even get to plug your 2nd string QB in when the plan was to get 3 QBs in the game if possible. It is game one so things can change quickly for the better however.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We will know more in the KY game. Southern Miss gashed them running the ball right down their throat in the 2nd half of that game tonight.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Your OL assessment is way too soft. Your LB assessment is wrong. DL was fine as well.

Maybe we watched a different game.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We were about three plays away from scoring 40+ and 3 penalties from shutting them out.

All in all, we won........ and we are playing UK next week and not Alabama or TAM.

Go Gators!

* Coaches need to earn their paychecks this week!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I guess we'll find out next week.

Until then, take a deep breath and calm down, we did win you know. Even a ugly, stinky win is better that losing.... ask any MState or LSU fan.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Extremely disappointed in the o-line. Not much push from an offensive line that outweighed their opponents by 40 pounds. Unless we get some guys in there with a take no prisoners attitude we will not beat the better teams in the SEC. They're soft. D-line played ok late but were not really into it the first half.

The overall play in the first 3-1/2 quarters was 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Terrible penalties that extended UMass drives or called back big offensive plays. Made me want to pull my hair out. Add in a couple of key dropped passes and it was the typical kind of crap we've seen way to damn much of the last half dozen years.

That said, Del Rio played ok and didn't turn the ball over. Scarlett ran hard and Eddie did an awesome job with all of his kicks.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was disappointed in the game plan and play calling. It was unbalanced with about 62% passing plays which to me seems over confident and arrogant. With Mac saying that they'd like to play 3 QBs, I think the coaches thought this game would be a glorified practice and that translated to some of the players.

I thought the running backs ran hard and the downhill running game had success. They should have used it more to stop the corners from playing so deep so they could take more shots down field. Really the 4th quarter was the most balanced so not surprisingly that was the quarter they scored the most points.

Actually if they had played the same way they did in 4th as they did the rest of the game, no one would be upset right now.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe sharing some of your analyses will help me.

I misread your assessment on DL and LB, my bad.

Main thing I disagree is the OL. It was putrid and they deserve to be called out big time. Johnson was terrible and seems far too slow, while Ivey was pretty bad too (troubling when he's supposed to be our best). Their poor play was 100% behind our struggles tonight.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The offensive line was exactly that, offensive. That should clear it up.

I lost count of how many times umass defenders were bearing down on del rio within 2-3 seconds of the snap. And i quit counting in the 1st qtr. Run blocking was obviously improved, but I saw absolutely zero improvement in pass blocking, it even looked like some individuals may have regressed.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The offensive line was exactly that, offensive. That should clear it up.

I lost count of how many times umass defenders were bearing down on del rio within 2-3 seconds of the snap. And i quit counting in the 1st qtr. Run blocking was obviously improved, but I saw absolutely zero improvement in pass blocking, it even looked like some individuals may have regressed.

Run blocking was better but still pretty poor considering the D line we faced. We only averaged 3.7 yards a carry against this crappy team.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Del Rio looked OK. Didn't make huge mistakes and completed majority of passes. Fairly accurate. Modest arm strength. Not terribly mobile but seems to have decent sense of pocket pressure.

I guessed the discouraging thing was even when we were moving the ball, it just looked so hard. But we may be lucky given what appears to be the weakest SEC East ever.

I DVR'd UF game and Bama game and watched them concurrently. Pretty discouraging going back and forth and seeing the remarkable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.