Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks TN. Funny you used "meh" as a game descriptor. It was the first thing that came to my mind after it was over, just didn't add it to my ramblings. Like you, thought we did get away from the run and were unbalanced when compared to the number of pass plays, though that is the trend these days. Not expecting 50:50, but with Scarlett running as hard and effectively as I believe he did, I don't think 10 more carries by him, Kronkrite, and Thompson could have hurt.

Unlike Law, I'll watch a replay and usually I can pick up a few more bits from the game. Like Law, I'm also getting weary with the seemingly endless rebuild we find ourselves mired in. He's got a point about the recruiting and I'll don my Swami turbine and say that this upcoming class will define Mac as a Gator HBC. I think he and the staff for the most part are good at developing the mid-grade players and evaluating talent and finding the "diamonds in the rough." I'm ready to see him accumulate more highly touted ones and manage them. This will be the year, I think, if that is going to happen. We'll see.

An old coach's maxim is that we're never as bad or as good as we looked in the previous game. Probably hard to believe right now, but I will add that as a couple have already stated that the 4th quarter looked like we were starting to settle in and it was probably indicative of what the first three were supposed to be. Better late than never, I guess. It'll be interesting to see what our first couple of possessions against the Cats look like.

I agree that the 4th quarter they started to settle in. Another thing that I liked is that the offense did move the chains and allowed the defense to get some rest and not the usual Freon 3 and out. We'll definitely see next week. But with USM gashing KY for points and run yardage this may be a good game for Mac to really hone in on the OL and work on that push.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And there in lies our problem. SOS set a bar so high that nothing else compares or comes close to it. If we dont beat a no name team to death even in the first game with a first time QB we suck. If we dont run rough shod over said team our season is pretty much done. Those days are over and gone even if the swamp is named SOS field and he leads us in Two Bits. If we can throw for 250 yards in that kind of dampness without a TO I think it bodes well. Someone said UMass is the worst def. How do your quantify that. This is a new year. with scholie limitations most teams are getting some big and faster players. Lots of decent players would rather play for a directional school than sit at a big school. Whipple is not a chopped liver coach. He is prttty good. I refuse to :ohnoez: the first game but Im not :bananadance: either. Mostly Im just happy I had a gator game to watch and saw some improvement over what Ive seen since TT left.
Watch out, Coach. You're making too much sense. Sound almost Republican! :lol:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
All right sports fans, just how underwhelmed were you with this opener? More questions than answers maybe? Well, it was a first game and we didn't join the parade of SEC losers on opening day, so I guess that was good. Not a lot to jump up and down about, but we'll talk about the things that were noteworthy and not so much. Here goes:

*Del Rio probably looked more serviceable than assassin to many. Truth is, he wasn't that bad. He won't wow anybody with his arm strength, but he's pretty accurate for the most part. SOS remarked that he wasn't sure how good the guys around him were, which is a fair point at this juncture. I'd add "yet" to his comment. I thought he was good on his check downs and seems to know the offense well enough with regard to where the receivers are. He had a lull in the middle, but finished above 50% in completions. Hurt by some drops but didn't fall out like some and this speaks to his maturity, which a guy who is at his third school may be suspect at. Should show improvement as the season wears on, obviously, but with his arm strength and as a pocket guy, I wonder how high that ceiling will be? Stay tuned.

*The shutout that wasn't...thanks to 35 yards in foolish penalties on UMass' lone TD drive. Actually, too many penalties altogether. Count was at 80 yards early in the 4th quarter. Kids cause them, but Collins is the guy that has to eat them. This often gets written off as a trait of an "aggressive" defense, which is code for "we're kind of undisciplined." If the D coaches do it right, we should see a marked improvement from Game 1 to 2.

*DBEwwww? Not really, but we saw a few holes. Losing Dawson was big, as the guy was lightin' 'em up out there. But we gave up three or four big plays that we shouldn't have. Some of that can be pinned on freshmen (Putu, et al), but one play in particular showed the UMass guy come off a rub to the middle with no one on him and our safety made the read about 10 seconds later and held him to a long gain. Tabor ought to buy his mates dinner after this one. We should have held them to about 10 yards passing. Some work to do for this group, but they get better next week, barring Frazier/Ali IV.

*Front 7 wasn't bad. Pass rush was pretty good, save a couple of whiffs. Zuniga looked good and maybe is going to live up to the praises garnered in the preseason. LBs were decent. Anzalone looked good and made some big plays, but we all held our breath when he was injured. Thank goodness it was just a cut, but I'm holding my breath he doesn't get MERSA as a result with his luck. A lot to look forward to if they stay healthy.

*OL still developing. Kind of been the byline for about a decade it seems. Really, they did some good things. Opened some holes for the backs, as evidenced by several good runs. Pass pro was a little shakey at times. Fred Johnson had a few tough plays that were shown on replay, for example. I thought the analysts made a good point that we looked much stronger on the left side than the right, though Ivey had a couple of "look outs." Still, I get the sense that they are developing. Wondering about the depth?

*Offensive Player of the Game? Eddie P, of course! I know it's only one game, but when's the last time we've felt this good about the place kicker? Loved his enthusiasm. Stay salty young man and don't wake up and realize that you never did this before tonight.

*Probably was the right thing to do, but I've never been a fan of taking points off the board, especially that early in the game. Wonder if Mac would rethink if given the opportunity? Just trying to get the offense some confidence, I suppose.

*How 'bout Scarlett? Kid looks better directed this year, ran hard and with authority. Kronkrite and Thompson looked good, but Scarlett was the guy. Wonder how many yards after contact he got? Seemed like a ton. He looks like he took the lead. Best thing is that 3 good ones should help with the wear and tear of the season.

*Rookie Lowlight...Powell's catch and TD run was even more spectacular when you consider Freddie Swain's loaf and no block on the play. Welcome to college ball, young man. When you aren't catching it, there's still a job to be done. Kid did make a couple of nice catches, though.

The old saying that a team shows their greatest improvement between Game 1 and 2. Let's hope so. Biggest group will likely be the receivers and whether they get past the first game growing pains (maybe a stretch) and get in greater sync with LDR. Defense? Clean up the penalties and get Tabor back. Hopefully Dawson isn't serious. Been typing and haven't heard of an update. They'll have to be better. This team will be exciting, but maybe not always in the best ways early on. Trick is how much they decrease the gap between goofs and consistency. Really looking forward to keeping the UK streak going. Anybody hear from Catmania lately? Is he a Chatter member? Hope so. He'll have a lot of sh!t to talk after our performance. We're 1-0 and that's better than 0-1 going into the UK matchup. Game just became that much more important in my mind. Questions to be answered. Looking forward to your thoughts. Go Gators :chomp:

*Edit - Forgot to add how great it was seeing and hearing the Ol' Ball Coach in the Swamp again. Might have been the games' biggest highlight!

Couple of comments , Cover:

When Dawson went down, that meant UF was playing their 3rd string corner. That had to make a difference.

In first half the Gator defensive ends were giving up the edge by being too aggressive. They adjusted after halftime.

Thought it was a helluva play by Gardner on the pass breakup.

That is all.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I can't believe Kentucky lost last night. I saw them up big and thought we'd have our hands full next week. We probably still do, but LOL at Stoops

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
And there in lies our problem. SOS set a bar so high that nothing else compares or comes close to it. If we dont beat a no name team to death even in the first game with a first time QB we suck. If we dont run rough shod over said team our season is pretty much done. Those days are over and gone even if the swamp is named SOS field and he leads us in Two Bits. If we can throw for 250 yards in that kind of dampness without a TO I think it bodes well. Someone said UMass is the worst def. How do your quantify that. This is a new year. with scholie limitations most teams are getting some big and faster players. Lots of decent players would rather play for a directional school than sit at a big school. Whipple is not a chopped liver coach. He is prttty good. I refuse to :ohnoez: the first game but Im not :bananadance: either. Mostly Im just happy I had a gator game to watch and saw some improvement over what Ive seen since TT left.

Even Spurrier admitted his "system" doesn't work well anymore. He said this during interview in announcer's booth.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Before last night we thought we had:

Dominant D line
Great LBs
Great secondary
Average OL
Dominant WRs
Great RBs
Above average QB

After we realize we have

Good D line - Zuniga was great, but Brantley was no Bullard

Great LBs - would have been true if not for undisciplined penalties

Great secondary- maybe Teez makes the difference, but they were average at best last night

Average OL - clearly below average. Horrible performance

Dominant WRs - I didn't see guys wide open and there were a few times Del Rio had time and had to check down. They were Average

Good RBs - Scarlett ran well. Thompson looked good. RBs were good

Above Average QB - he was average last night. Still an improvement

Overall we need a lot of improvement to not be 8-4 or worse

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Watch out, Coach. You're making too much sense. Sound almost Republican! :lol:
Just a compassionate (passionate) fan with plenty of values the conservatives think they own. I see improvement and have lots of hope for the season. As opposed to our chatroom whichs should have this as the logo...........
6c5d16b11b4502698dea680684b8e260.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett ran for 70 yards on 13 carries against the worst defense in the nation. I would hope we could do better than that. The running game was well below average, considering the opponent.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I guess we'll find out next week.

Until then, take a deep breath and calm down, we did win you know. Even a ugly, stinky win is better that losing.... ask any MState or LSU fan.

OR Kentucky, Mizzou, Vandy, Auburn fans. And Tennessee shoulda lost too.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Even Spurrier admitted his "system" doesn't work well anymore. He said this during interview in announcer's booth.
I heard him say that. He was trying hard to say this staff is going to do well when they asked his opinion
about the offense. He did keep saying he thought they would have done better

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Scarlett ran for 70 yards on 13 carries against the worst defense in the nation. I would hope we could do better than that. The running game was well below average, considering the opponent.
YOu keep saying the worst def. in the Nation. This is a new season. New players new schemes. Are you privy to info about the future or something? espn had them 72nd out of 122 teams. giving up only 107 rushing yards a game http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
YOu keep saying the worst def. in the Nation. This is a new season. New players new schemes. Are you privy to info about the future or something?
And you keep saying everything is great, there's nothing to see here, 0-10-1, blahblahblah.

:bob:

We are no longer an elite football program. Period. It's time to face it.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I heard him say that. He was trying hard to say this staff is going to do well when they asked his opinion
about the offense. He did keep saying he thought they would have done better

True. He was being diplomatic with respect to his comments about the offense. His "system" comment I thought was from the heart and, if I recall correctly, in response to a question regarding his departure from USCe.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess we'll find out next week.

Until then, take a deep breath and calm down, we did win you know. Even a ugly, stinky win is better that losing.... ask any MState or LSU fan.
Not to mention how many new offensive players we had on the field last night....LSU had 17 returning starters and looked like garbage.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And you keep saying everything is great, there's nothing to see here, 0-10-1, blahblahblah.

We haven't been for the last 6 years. However we certainly have a ton of NEW starters on offense and a new QB who looked at least average if not better. The play calling held us back more than anything last night.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

espn had them 72nd out of 122 teams. giving up only 107 rushing yards a gamehttp://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense Show me where I said everything was great, The only bad thing I see is your and your minions all looking like this after the first game.:alone::worried::ohnoez:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
espn had them 72nd out of 122 teams. giving up only 107 rushing yards a gamehttp://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense Show me where I said everything was great, The only bad thing I see is your and your minions all looking like this after the first game.:alone::worried::ohnoez:
My minions? Yes, I give everyone their marching orders on what to think. :rolleyes3:

I simply stated a fact: we are no longer an elite football program. That doesn't mean we're bad, and we'll still win some games, but the idea of winning championships at this point is laughable. I'm not going to throw myself off any cliffs, it's just disappointing. If our recruiting had been the way it's supposed to be I'd at least be happy that the future is bright, but it hasn't been. Recruiting is way, way down. Not sure what else to say.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
My minions? Yes, I give everyone their marching orders on what to think. :rolleyes3:

I simply stated a fact: we are no longer an elite football program. That doesn't mean we're bad, and we'll still win some games, but the idea of winning championships at this point is laughable. I'm not going to throw myself off any cliffs, it's just disappointing. If our recruiting had been the way it's supposed to be I'd at least be happy that the future is bright, but it hasn't been. Recruiting is way, way down. Not sure what else to say.
I hate to agree, but we are getting it recruited regularly by UT and UGA...

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
pessimist-glass-half-empty-optimist-glass-half-full-me-room-to-add-vodka.jpg

Thanks for that civil reply. We never learn much from the first game, blow out or nail biter. I know our team will react in a better way to a struggle than a laugher. We aint that far from elite. The deal is now you have 20-30 teams ALL with the desire, money and want to chasing what many here think is a birth right. IT aint a birth right. WE gotta do all the things right and even be lucky to be top 5 again. With our schedule we always have to beat at least two and usually three top 10 teams and even top 6 teams. I never see the point of bailing the first game or first new season or with a new coach before he has his players in place. We will just disagree and I will try not to be what you think is an arrogant old fan who thinks he knows it all......................even if my perspective lends me a little wisdom............patience
group-grasshoppers-called_58bb0e7f7ecf20e7.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So you made my quote your sig? For what purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator