Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
bama is an example of what an AD being willing to pull out the checkbook will get you. top coaches, top facilities, top recruiting classes, top on the field performances.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I misread your assessment on DL and LB, my bad.

Main thing I disagree is the OL. It was putrid and they deserve to be called out big time. Johnson was terrible and seems far too slow, while Ivey was pretty bad too (troubling when he's supposed to be our best). Their poor play was 100% behind our struggles tonight.

My saying that the OL was "developing" wasn't meant as a ringing endorsement, though I must not have been as clear as I should have been. We rushed for just over 100 yds I think, and Scarlett did stand out to me in that stat line. Still, it was UMass. He had some holes to start his runs for the most part, they definitely weren't consistent and as Durty pointed out (and I recall alluding to it) pass pro wasn't great either. I even recall mentioning Johnson and Ivie specifically. They've got work to do. They are developing. Thanks for the affirmations and corrections. I'm learning I hope.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
My saying that the OL was "developing" wasn't meant as a ringing endorsement, though I must not have been as I should have been. We rushed for just over 100 yds I think, and Scarlett did stand out to me in that stat line. He had some holes to start his runs for the most part, they definitely weren't consistent and as Durty pointed out (and I recall alluding to it) pass pro wasn't great either. I even recall mentioning Johnson and Ivie specifically. They've got work to do. They are developing. Thanks for the affirmations and corrections. I'm learning I hope.

I hear you. I think we are all upset and I definitely jumped the gun on my response. Hope they get this fixed soon :highfive:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My saying that the OL was "developing" wasn't meant as a ringing endorsement, though I must not have been as clear as I should have been. We rushed for just over 100 yds I think, and Scarlett did stand out to me in that stat line. He had some holes to start his runs for the most part, they definitely weren't consistent and as Durty pointed out (and I recall alluding to it) pass pro wasn't great either. I even recall mentioning Johnson and Ivie specifically. They've got work to do. They are developing. Thanks for the affirmations and corrections. I'm learning I hope.

I just cant give the O Line credit for a run game when we average 3.7 yards a carry against a defense that probably won't be a whole lot better than the one that was at the bottom of FBS last season. We should be averaging 7 yards a carry against teams like that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hear you. I think we are all upset and I definitely jumped the gun on my response. Hope they get this fixed soon :highfive:
That's what Mac and Co. are paid to do. We'll soon see how well spent the money was. Thanks for your input.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just cant give the O Line credit for a run game when we average 3.7 yards a carry against a defense that probably won't be a whole lot better than the one that was at the bottom of FBS last season. We should be averaging 7 yards a carry against teams like that.
I can't disagree and edited (albeit after you were responding) that their efforts were against UMass after all.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
1) Offensive line looks as bad as last year..
2) Eddie is the real deal.
3) Del Rio is serviceable and can manage a game.
4) Boneheaded penalties made this game more frustrating then it should have been.
5) We'll know a bit more next weekend.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anzalone looked good and made some big plays, but we all held our breath when he was injured. Thank goodness it was just a cut, but I'm holding my breath he doesn't get MERSA as a result with his luck. A lot to look forward to if they stay healthy
I LOL'd pretty loud on this one. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I DVR'd UF game and Bama game and watched them concurrently. Pretty discouraging going back and forth and seeing the remarkable difference.
Yeah, I'm not even going to rewatch our game like I usually do.

Just tired of the neverending "rebuild."

3 star lovers, pump on!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Compared to the last half dozen games...damn it was fun to watch!

Rio would be hiesman material. Offensive line was a brick wall. And kicking game...oh my!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good as always Cover.

I agree with the OL and the issues we continue to have there. So I am trying to find any marked improvement there. I will preface this as YES, we should have beaten these buys by 40+. So what did I see from this game? A new starting QB that threw for 256 yards and no pics. Yes he was rushed but he stood and took hits and unless I missed it, NO Sacks. The OL was blitzed for a majority of the game and yes there were some Ole' blocking. UMass played a lot of 4 down with two blitzing LB's most of the game. We had over 100 rushing yards. Felt we abandoned the run a bit, but the got back to it in late 4th Qtr. So from the outside the OL didn't look that great. But in the same token I can see some differences. The OL still has a lot of work to do. But with what Del Rio did get accomplished he had to have some help. Take it for what its worth, we got the W.

The biggest issue....the PF penalties. Alone with Davis' PF on the QB was huge on that scoring drive. That play doesn't happen...possibly a shut out. Gotta clean up the flags.

In all a "meh" kinda game. One of the weirdest opening weekends in CFB. You could be a corndog, cowbell, or kitty kat this am. We're 1-0 so enjoy it what bit of it you can.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It still feels like we have a mountain to climb before reaching any semblance of a prime time entourage. I do like Cronkrite in that out of the backfield role but LDR hopefully will settle down some and make better throws in that regard. We all know who wears that crown, John L Williams. Go Gators.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
So far it seems like ANY Spurrier team would beat the best Mac coached team by 40... Not impressed

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And there in lies our problem. SOS set a bar so high that nothing else compares or comes close to it. If we dont beat a no name team to death even in the first game with a first time QB we suck. If we dont run rough shod over said team our season is pretty much done. Those days are over and gone even if the swamp is named SOS field and he leads us in Two Bits. If we can throw for 250 yards in that kind of dampness without a TO I think it bodes well. Someone said UMass is the worst def. How do your quantify that. This is a new year. with scholie limitations most teams are getting some big and faster players. Lots of decent players would rather play for a directional school than sit at a big school. Whipple is not a chopped liver coach. He is prttty good. I refuse to :ohnoez: the first game but Im not :bananadance: either. Mostly Im just happy I had a gator game to watch and saw some improvement over what Ive seen since TT left.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good as always Cover.

I agree with the OL and the issues we continue to have there. So I am trying to find any marked improvement there. I will preface this as YES, we should have beaten these buys by 40+. So what did I see from this game? A new starting QB that threw for 256 yards and no pics. Yes he was rushed but he stood and took hits and unless I missed it, NO Sacks. The OL was blitzed for a majority of the game and yes there were some Ole' blocking. UMass played a lot of 4 down with two blitzing LB's most of the game. We had over 100 rushing yards. Felt we abandoned the run a bit, but the got back to it in late 4th Qtr. So from the outside the OL didn't look that great. But in the same token I can see some differences. The OL still has a lot of work to do. But with what Del Rio did get accomplished he had to have some help. Take it for what its worth, we got the W.

The biggest issue....the PF penalties. Alone with Davis' PF on the QB was huge on that scoring drive. That play doesn't happen...possibly a shut out. Gotta clean up the flags.

In all a "meh" kinda game. One of the weirdest opening weekends in CFB. You could be a corndog, cowbell, or kitty kat this am. We're 1-0 so enjoy it what bit of it you can.
Thanks TN. Funny you used "meh" as a game descriptor. It was the first thing that came to my mind after it was over, just didn't add it to my ramblings. Like you, thought we did get away from the run and were unbalanced when compared to the number of pass plays, though that is the trend these days. Not expecting 50:50, but with Scarlett running as hard and effectively as I believe he did, I don't think 10 more carries by him, Kronkrite, and Thompson could have hurt.

Unlike Law, I'll watch a replay and usually I can pick up a few more bits from the game. Like Law, I'm also getting weary with the seemingly endless rebuild we find ourselves mired in. He's got a point about the recruiting and I'll don my Swami turbine and say that this upcoming class will define Mac as a Gator HBC. I think he and the staff for the most part are good at developing the mid-grade players and evaluating talent and finding the "diamonds in the rough." I'm ready to see him accumulate more highly touted ones and manage them. This will be the year, I think, if that is going to happen. We'll see.

An old coach's maxim is that we're never as bad or as good as we looked in the previous game. Probably hard to believe right now, but I will add that as a couple have already stated that the 4th quarter looked like we were starting to settle in and it was probably indicative of what the first three were supposed to be. Better late than never, I guess. It'll be interesting to see what our first couple of possessions against the Cats look like.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I think you can tell pretty quick if a coach has it or not... Look at Tom Herman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator