• Hell no!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Soggy ham sammich over boiled peanuts

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Some of those guys used sea water. Saved on buying salt and added a robust aroma to the peanuts. Which may explain the food poisoning mentioned above.
High salt and high temp for long periods should cut down on that dramatically. I'd guess improper storage. Though fish poop cant be discounted for sure!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This may surprise many of you, but I’m fairly particular about boiled peanuts. They’re really good regardless, but they’re best when cooked to a certain point where they maintain their density and texture. The “pop” when they openly tells the whole story. Whenever I get one that’s overcooked and just pours out, I throw it away. But when cooked right, there aren’t many southern foods better, especially in the fall and winter.

Had a distant uncle on my dad’s side that used to grow them and then boil them. My first memories of UF games involve eating them in the stands. Still the best I’ve ever had.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This may surprise many of you, but I’m fairly particular about boiled peanuts. They’re really good regardless, but they’re best when cooked to a certain point where they maintain their density and texture. The “pop” when they openly tells the whole story. Whenever I get one that’s overcooked and just pours out, I throw it away. But when cooked right, there aren’t many southern foods better, especially in the fall and winter.

Had a distant uncle on my dad’s side that used to grow them and then boil them. My first memories of UF games involve eating them in the stands. Still the best I’ve ever had.
shocked oh no GIF

Shocked, just shocked. See my earlier post above.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

I'm a fan even though I rarely have them... always bought a cup at the HS football games here.

PS My responding to your post shows how f'n dead it is here this afternoon... I'm reduced to talking boiled peanuts!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to explain boiled peanuts to a Yankee/Millenial/Yuppie you tell 'em they're just like edamame.

If you want to explain edamame to a Redneck/Hillbilly/Southerner you tell 'em they're just like boiled peanuts.

Not exactly grits and polenta, but close enough.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm a fan even though I rarely have them... always bought a cup at the HS football games here.

PS My responding to your post shows how f'n dead it is here this afternoon... I'm reduced to talking boiled peanuts!

I’m on an annual family vacation to Disney, and midday drinking, so it’s either talk boiled peanuts or I’m gonna start mocking some of the “less than masculine” people in my vicinity.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to explain boiled peanuts to a Yankee/Millenial/Yuppie you tell 'em they're just like edamame.

If you want to explain edamame to a Redneck/Hillbilly/Southerner you tell 'em they're just like boiled peanuts.

Not exactly grits and polenta, but close enough.

Alex.
Perfect analogy.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Also...is boiled pronounced more like boilt, bolt, boald, or boal?

In Tennessee, that other word is "paynurts".

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m on an annual family vacation to Disney, and midday drinking, so it’s either talk boiled peanuts or I’m gonna start mocking some of the “less than masculine” people in my vicinity.

Live look at SoFla right now.

iu

Alex.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They’re alright . Pecans are the better nut .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator