Butters future suddenly looking brighter

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Because every team in the SEC is built to stop the run...and is a sieve vs the pass. Every team except TAM is trying to develop one of those monster run games.
This is really true. The SEC has reverted back to pre-spurrier days on offense. A team that can really stretch the field and challenge you at multiple receiver spots would tear up defenses in the SEC right now. Even bama's defense would get beat up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's a reason our receivers are always open...because teams know they don't have to respect the passing game and can focus on stopping the run. If we ever find a QB that can make a read and a throw, we'll see defenses playing us much differently.
Or if we get a coach who can teach a qb how to read a defense and throw, trams will play us differently.

Sep 29, 2015
Because every team in the SEC is built to stop the run...and is a sieve vs the pass. Every team except TAM is trying to develop one of those monster run games.

....and yet, somehow the league is littered with teams that can't pass against these sieves you speak of. Strange.

Sep 29, 2015
Worst coaching and QBs in the SEC (as a whole) since probably the 80s-early 90s.

4 of the top 6 rivals100 qbs from 2016 committed to SEC schools (hurts is not in that group either).
2 out of 9 rivals100 qbs from 2015 committed to SEC schools
4 of the top 7 rivals 100 qbs from 2014 committed to SEC schools (including WG and Treon to the gators :facepalm:)
2 of the top 7 rivals 100 qbs from 2013 committed to SEC schools

The SEC gets its fair share, if not the largest %, of the best qb's coming out of high school each and every year. Maybe the SEC passing defenses aren't the sieves Donkey Law makes them out to be?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
4 of the top 6 rivals100 qbs from 2016 committed to SEC schools (hurts is not in that group either).
2 out of 9 rivals100 qbs from 2015 committed to SEC schools
4 of the top 7 rivals 100 qbs from 2014 committed to SEC schools (including WG and Treon to the gators :facepalm:)
2 of the top 7 rivals 100 qbs from 2013 committed to SEC schools

The SEC gets its fair share, if not the largest %, of the best qb's coming out of high school each and every year. Maybe the SEC passing defenses aren't the sieves Donkey Law makes them out to be?
I don't care what they're ranked in HS. They aren't living up to those grades once they get here. The coaching in the league may be the biggest reason why but who knows for sure. UF, UT, UK, USC, Missouri, Vandy, LSU, Auburn and UGA haven't had good QB play in years. Arky, A&M, Ole Miss, Missy State and Bama have had some good ones...even though Bama's QBs have more to do with being surrounded by 1st round NFLers.

Sep 29, 2015
I don't care what they're ranked in HS. They aren't living up to those grades once they get here. The coaching in the league may be the biggest reason why but who knows for sure. UF, UT, UK, USC, Missouri, Vandy, LSU, Auburn and UGA haven't had good QB play in years. Arky, A&M, Ole Miss, Missy State and Bama have had some good ones...even though Bama's QBs have more to do with being surrounded by 1st round NFLers.

I don't disagree that those passing offenses have been terrible. And, yes, it likely has more to do with the coaching. However, I think it is unfair to say that SEC pass defenses are sieves. Actually, I think its laughable. Just consider the secondary and defensive line talent the SEC sends into the league year in, year out.

Anyway, my initial point still stands. This offense is not designed to chuck the ball 50 times a game next year with Frask starting his first college game, potentially his first ever game. Not that I wouldn't love to see it, but I think we're a year off before that day comes with these young qbs.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree that those passing offenses have been terrible. And, yes, it likely has more to do with the coaching. However, I think it is unfair to say that SEC pass defenses are sieves. Actually, I think its laughable. Just consider the secondary and defensive line talent the SEC sends into the league year in, year out.

Anyway, my initial point still stands. This offense is not designed to chuck the ball 50 times a game next year with Frask starting his first college game, potentially his first ever game. Not that I wouldn't love to see it, but I think we're a year off before that day comes with these young qbs.
I get your point but the conference gets torched against really good passing teams way too often. Law's not totally off base with his comments. Within the conference, not many have a good enough passing game to test defenses. Specifically, look at us and Bama when we play good passing attacks. We usually get trounced while Bama has been in some shootouts. We aren't capable of winning a shooout.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The offensive COACHING in the SEC is shyt. The few passing coaches there are in the league are all Hal Mumme-ites who can complete 2 sideways passes and still be in third and long.

Bammer gets torched by any decent QB it faces, even Matt Fattford. They aren't bad secondaries, necessarily, but the definitely play runstopppers first and several of them. Do they get drafted? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the NFL will play two safeties who are runstuffers but weak in coverage. You can cover one guy who is bad or weak in pass coverage.

And yet we want the same damn run it up the middle offense as the other 12 sucky teams in the SEC.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
This is really true. The SEC has reverted back to pre-spurrier days on offense. A team that can really stretch the field and challenge you at multiple receiver spots would tear up defenses in the SEC right now. Even bama's defense would get beat up.
That's an argument to start Frask.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
No one can recruit for the first four years. Except all the other coaches.
Once again I never said that. Small minds reject nuance bc they can only mentally process issues as either black or white. Unable to understand complexities, they respond emotionally to any information contra to their already established beliefs (which are unlikely to be rational and based in fact).

That would explain why you use ad hominem attacks rather than thoughtful discussion. You might frequently attack coaches and posters personally bc emotion is driving your posts, not reason. I figured I'd delve into the personal here so you might understand better.

In short, expressing constant negativity towards individuals and expressing the same ideas over and over again is consistent with not being very smart. Definitely not your fault if that's the case, and I hope it isn't that. However, it shows in a lot of your posts.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Once again I never said that. Small minds reject nuance bc they can only mentally process issues as either black or white. Unable to understand complexities, they respond emotionally to any information contra to their already established beliefs (which are unlikely to be rational and based in fact).

That would explain why you use ad hominem attacks rather than thoughtful discussion. You might frequently attack coaches and posters personally bc emotion is driving your posts, not reason. I figured I'd delve into the personal here so you might understand better.

In short, expressing constant negativity towards individuals and expressing the same ideas over and over again is consistent with not being very smart. Definitely not your fault if that's the case, and I hope it isn't that. However, it shows in a lot of your posts.
:snob:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The offensive COACHING in the SEC is shyt. The few passing coaches there are in the league are all Hal Mumme-ites who can complete 2 sideways passes and still be in third and long.

Bammer gets torched by any decent QB it faces, even Matt Fattford. They aren't bad secondaries, necessarily, but the definitely play runstopppers first and several of them. Do they get drafted? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the NFL will play two safeties who are runstuffers but weak in coverage. You can cover one guy who is bad or weak in pass coverage.

And yet we want the same damn run it up the middle offense as the other 12 sucky teams in the SEC.

:bwahaha:

166.gif

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I disagree here. In order to win the East again why can't our running game be the focal point of the offense with timely throws mixed in? We're returning a now-seasoned, big oline line and two bruising, talented backs. Those backs enjoyed modest success last year despite having the worst YPC before 1st contact in the SEC (that stat was posted somewhere on the board recently) behind a still-gelling line. I fully expect that to improve and be the strength of the offense, and I think that's what Mac is thinking when he says he wants the Oline to have more fire and be more aggressive. If so, you get Frask working with more reasonable down-and-distances on a consistent basis setting them up for success, better play action opportunities on the outside with AC and Cleveland over the top, and less time that your younger, depth-challenged defense has to be on the field.

Plus, it's not like the rest of the East, or the SEC for that matter is throwing up Air Raid-style offensive numbers. The reality is that the QB play league-wide is horrific. It's also worth pointing out that a strong running game and timely throws is exactly how Mac ran his offense at Bama under Saban.

I'm not saying I like it, but it is what it is, and given the composition of our team going into next year, especially the dynamic of young, inexperienced qbs, veteran oline and rbs, and depth-challenged D, that is how I see our identity next year. Hopefully by the end of the year Frask has his sea legs under him and the offense can open up.

I don't know that this will be a successful strategy and enough to win the East and beyond (though it could be), but I'm not sure Mac has a choice unless Frask is way better than the tea leaves currently suggest.
Did You not watch any games last year? UF rushed for the least amount of yards in over a decade. The run blocking was atrocious. If Franks-Trask aren't ready we're gonna be looking at 6-6 because we don't have nfl players all over the defense to bail us out and the run game was easily held in check against teams of equal talent.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Did You not watch any games last year? UF rushed for the least amount of yards in over a decade. The run blocking was atrocious. If Franks-Trask aren't ready we're gonna be looking at 6-6 because we don't have nfl players all over the defense to bail us out and the run game was easily held in check against teams of equal talent.

While the Gators did rush for fewer yards than they have in quite a while, they also had the fewest rushing attempts that they have had in a while. In addition, the passing game has not seen much success in the last seven years. A one dimensional offense is much easier to defend.

I agree that if the 2017 Gators offense is exactly like the 2016 Gators offense then we will again struggle to run the ball. However, if the offense shows an improved passing attack and OL play then I don't think it is unreasonable that the running game will improve as well. It's not difficult to envision a moderately improved passing attack with one of the talented RF QB's. It's also not difficult to envision improved play on the OL with another season of weight training, experience and a fiery new coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
While the Gators did rush for fewer yards than they have in quite a while, they also had the fewest rushing attempts that they have had in a while. In addition, the passing game has not seen much success in the last seven years. A one dimensional offense is much easier to defend.

I agree that if the 2017 Gators offense is exactly like the 2016 Gators offense then we will again struggle to run the ball. However, if the offense shows an improved passing attack and OL play then I don't think it is unreasonable that the running game will improve as well. It's not difficult to envision a moderately improved passing attack with one of the talented RF QB's. It's also not difficult to envision improved play on the OL with another season of weight training, experience and a fiery new coach.
The hell it ain't.

Sep 29, 2015

It's awfully convenient for your argument to assume that the defense will be worse next year (for legitimate reasons) while also assuming the offensive line and running game will be exactly the same (which requires you to ignore the legitimate reasons why that shouldn't be expected).

For example, you ignore that Taylor only played half the year, TJ McCoy the last third. Plus both were true freshman and should be vastly improved, especially with more time to work together. Ivey will move to his natural spot at LT where he should also be much better. You also ignore that Scarlett as lead back from day 1 and a junior won't be better.

For all those hoping Redshirt Frask will ride in to save the day, I'm hoping too, but I can make a better case that the run game will be the strength of the offense right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.