Caleb Brantley charged with Battery/Video released

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
What is the NFL policy on domestic abuses now, like a 6 or 8 game suspension?

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is the NFL police on domestic abuses now, like a 6 or 8 game suspension?

It's supposed to be 6, but players have gotten anything from 1 to 10 games depending on the situation of the DV.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Rice was before the policy was in place. So that doesn't really qualify. The policy took place the season after the Ray Rice incident in response to the incident. Right now the Michigan DB Lewis and Brantley have nothing to suspend from, they don't have a team. In 2016 was the first time the Domestic Violence policy started to effect draftable players, no player who has a conviction of domestic violence is allowed at draft related events (like the Combine). Lewis has been charged but not convicted similar to Brantley. Much like Brantley I'm sure the NFL will not have all the information before the draft. Both might end up on a team, or not drafted at all because of fear of their history. Lewis doesn't have a first round grade like Brantley. I'm guess the NFL would rather the teams pass them over first, before getting involved.

Around the Ray Rice time or a little after (the next draft possibly I am pretty sure they tried to mess with some draft prospect on a DV charge but it was ruled they couldn't - I may be wrong on that however). I am pretty sure the NFL has never been able to suspend someone for games when the arrest happened prior to the drafting of that player to the NFL even if they went to the combine.

The NFL doesn't need a conviction to suspend you if the other evidence is strong like you say. Maybe I am wrong do you have a copy of the policy specifying pre-draft players can be suspended for actual regular season games if they do end up in the league after the arrest?

I think Brantley would have been 2nd round but people differ on that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Around the Ray Rice time or a little after (the next draft possibly I am pretty sure they tried to mess with some draft prospect on a DV charge but it was ruled they couldn't - I may be wrong on that however). I am pretty sure the NFL has never been able to suspend someone for games when the arrest happened prior to the drafting of that player to the NFL even if they went to the combine.

The NFL doesn't need a conviction to suspend you if the other evidence is strong like you say. Maybe I am wrong do you have a copy of the policy specifying pre-draft players can be suspended for actual regular season games if they do end up in the league after the arrest?

I think Brantley would have been 2nd round but people differ on that.

Fever, that's why it will be interesting.. this will be the first year, that we have two draftable players that were caught in a DV situation between the combine and draft. We shall see once things all through. I think Brantley cost himself some money, I wouldn't be surprised as deep as this draft is he falls to the late second/early 3rd. The draft players didn't get into the policy until 2016, the DV policy for players started 2014.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fever, that's why it will be interesting.. this will be the first year, that we have two draftable players that were caught in a DV situation between the combine and draft. We shall see once things all through. I think Brantley cost himself some money, I wouldn't be surprised as deep as this draft is he falls to the late second/early 3rd. The draft players didn't get into the policy until 2016, the DV policy for players started 2014.

My guess is they both drop down in the draft a round or two even though the Michigan player's charges seem to not amount to much and could just be a mad GF's actions. I doubt there is any suspension in the regular season and Brantley is just told he has to take DV classes whether the girl follows through on the charges or not. If the NFL does try to suspend Brantley I think it will get overturned and the Commissioner wouldn't try any unilateral action knowing he could lose in Court due to the date of the arrest.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is they both drop down in the draft a round or two even though the Michigan player's charges seem to not amount to much and could just be a mad GF's actions. I doubt there is any suspension in the regular season and Brantley is just told he has to take DV classes whether the girl follows through on the charges or not. If the NFL does try to suspend Brantley I think it will get overturned and the Commissioner would try any unilateral action knowing he could lose in Court due to the date of the arrest.

It all depends on the language of the policy. Because as a member of the NFLPA they are both under the jurisdiction of the NFL as of the end of February. What ever the policy is, I'm sure the league and NFLPA (who have a vested interested in the DV look) have got the policy air tight. But do to the circumstances (so far) that we've seen I doubt it would be more than 2 games.

As far as draft, There is talk that Lewis might not be drafted at all (i would shocked if that happened). Brantley will drop into the second day, doubt he makes it to Saturday undrafted.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This year. Many on that Michigan DB who recently got nailed and they all just say his draft stock could suffer and nothing about a possible suspension. I am pretty sure they tried to suspend someone around that Ray Rice time for a DV charge (if my memory is right) pre-draft and it got shot down. Maybe its just the drug test stuff that has automatic stuff if you go to the combine etc. I am sure if someone did something really crazy violence wise ...

Yeah.... Like punching A GIRL so hard you knock a f'ing tooth out of her mouth, and f'ing knock her unconscious... Something crazy violent like that?!?

Sadly, no one thinks thats too big of a deal... Just a minor inconvenience that will cost him some money and a little embarrassment... How far we have fallen as a society just scares the living sh!it out of me...

Jun 2, 2015
Anyone have a stats about football plays doing this versus other sports. I don't hear this from baseball or basketball. I see it on rare occasions, but it doesn't seem to happen near as often. Why?

I personally think football players have more testosterone = macho personality, limited patience, more high strung.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah.... Like punching A GIRL so hard you knock a f'ing tooth out of her mouth, and f'ing knock her unconscious... Something crazy violent like that?!?

Sadly, no one thinks thats too big of a deal... Just a minor inconvenience that will cost him some money and a little embarrassment... How far we have fallen as a society just scares the living sh!it out of me...

My point is it would have to be even worse than that for the Commissioner to legally keep a team from signing him for the good of the game because there are people in the league that have done equivalent to that already.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone have a stats about football plays doing this versus other sports. I don't hear this from baseball or basketball. I see it on rare occasions, but it doesn't seem to happen near as often. Why?

No but there were articles a few years back around the Ray Rice incident time talking about baseball players getting hardly nothing done to them for a DV arrest

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My point is it would have to be even worse than that for the Commissioner to legally keep a team from signing him for the good of the game because there are people in the league that have done equivalent to that already.

Commissioner doesn't have the power to do that, remember in the end he works for the owners. So if the owners want a player in the league, the commissioner won't stop it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No but there were articles a few years back around the Ray Rice incident time talking about baseball players getting hardly nothing done to them for a DV arrest

DV incidents per capita is less in football than regular society. Baseball started their domestic violence policy in 2015 (a full year after the NFL). The NBA doesn't have a policy currently for just domestic violence.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
With a week before the NFL draft, I would lock myself in a hotel room and never come out.

A lot of these guys would find a way to eff that up, too. They'd get bored and bang the maid, who would then scream rape. Or they'd spend all day, every day toking, thinking that nobody would find out because they were locked in a hotel room, only to learn later that piss tests don't lie.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
DV incidents per capita is less in football than regular society. Baseball started their domestic violence policy in 2015 (a full year after the NFL). The NBA doesn't have a policy currently for just domestic violence.

My guess is it is much higher than for equivalent financial status in society even though many of those people keep incidents hushed up. I know in my area among the lower income groups there are arrests all the time for that.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Well this is interesting....might have jumped the gun :oops:
Wait, isn't Telfort like 17 years old - what was he doing in the bar?
:doh:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to say what wrong here. Is this kid a victim of a bad upbringing or did three solid years at a major SEC program and all the adulation that went with it make his head fat? One thing's for sure. His wallet won't be as fat as he'd hoped come draft day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator