Calloway gets named starter, then gets arrested hours later

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From what I understand, they drank, partied, and even smoked a little weed until 1974 or so (I had a brother born in 1968 and a sister born in 1970). Then they made some life-changing decisions on what they were going to do (and not do) going forward and never faltered.
Interesting that they did it as a team. It works much better that way. Kudos to them.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This has to be a great story. Do tell.

Actually not a pretty picture. Things were very dark for many years. I remember being around 5 years old and him coming in the house in the middle of the night and fighting with my mom. He would pin her against the wall and I would jump on his back trying to kick and punch him to make him stop. Instead he would just throw me off on the floor. Sometimes I would find him on the front porch passed out on the floor where he had slept all night.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Actually not a pretty picture. Things were very dark for many years. I remember being around 5 years old and him coming in the house in the middle of the night and fighting with my mom. He would pin her against the wall and I would jump on his back trying to kick and punch him to make him stop. Instead he would just throw me off on the floor. Sometimes I would find him on the front porch passed out on the floor where he had slept all night.
Awful stuff. I'm lucky to have had the parents I have.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's nothing short of profound the impact parents can have on their own kids. I don't think I'm overstating it when I say it's a sacred responsibility.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It's nothing short of profound the impact parents can have on their own kids. I don't think I'm overstating it when I say it's a sacred responsibility.

I have always envied the people who had a home place with good memories. We never owned a house. We were pretty much on our own at 12. Spend as much time as possible with your kids. It matters. Heck, I don't ever remember having a thanksgiving dinner as a kid. I might have but I don't remember it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And of course they are still together 48 years later.
My dad said he loved the taste of whiskey and smoked till I was about 10 yrs old and quit cold turkey. I never saw him
drink. He quit when he got married at us kids. He claimed my grandmother made the best home brew (beer) he ever tasted.
She was the alcoholic

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I'm my experience, the effects of an alcoholic parent is more subtle. I love my dad to death. He worked his butt off for us and never laid a finger on me or my mom, would drink 1/2 a bottle of gin every night.

Looking back on it as an adult, he was never really present. Never really engaged or did activities. Instead, he sat in his chair watching tv.

Fortunately, he was not mean or abusive. I can say that I was affected by his presence, yet simultaneous absence.

Even if drinking around your kids has no direct effect, like abuse, it still makes a difference

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator