Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Well, I didn't believe most any of the bs flying around, but it was amusing to watch the 'story develop'.
The fact that our entire administration was loaded up on a flight to go begging, apparently, with no 'deal' in place is kind of catastrophic.
This happened. This is fact. It is known we went begging and came up empty. Everybody knows. Not good. Not professional, imo.

How do you know that we went begging? It is know by who? I've read just about every post on here, and managed to get my work done, I see know evidence that we went begging. The preponderance of the "information" indicates that we took the opportunity to "swing for the fences"; we made our best sales pitch. Likely the president was there to address the negatives on "commitment" that CK may have wanted to addressed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here we are sweating the small stuff, like what business did Florida have flying its president to New Hampshire, when this hire was never about the small. It was about the big, about big, big bucks and the sports apparel/shoe competition that is reshaping college football.

You thought UCLA didn't matter? Think again.

In May 2016, UCLA signed a $280 million, 15-year deal with Under Armour, the largest shoe and apparel deal in NCAA history, in a bid by Under Armour to counter Nike's dominance. Do the math. That's $18.66 million annually in change to throw around. And you wondered how they could toss out Mora and the $12M buyout and not blink. That's how.

UCLA, Ohio State and Texas all have quarter-billion-dollar-and-up deals. Florida is nowhere close.

Just wait until the Kelly terms are announced and you'll understand why UCLA won and Florida did not.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here we are sweating the small stuff, like what business did Florida have flying its president to New Hampshire, when this hire was never about the small. It was about the big, about big, big bucks and the sports apparel/shoe competition that is reshaping college football.

You thought UCLA didn't matter? Think again.

In May 2016, UCLA signed a $280 million, 15-year deal with Under Armour, the largest shoe and apparel deal in NCAA history, in a bid by Under Armour to counter Nike's dominance. Do the math. That's $18.66 million annually in change to throw around. And you wondered how they could toss out Mora and the $12M buyout and not blink. That's how.

UCLA, Ohio State and Texas all have quarter-billion-dollar-and-up deals. Florida is nowhere close.

Just wait until the Kelly terms are announced and you'll understand why UCLA won and Florida did not.
I'm glad I did not buy any Nike apparel.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Anyone else think we might be doing what Texas did with Tom Herman? Frost is the hot guy right now. Same as Herman was last year. Honestly, I think Herman has been a failure and will continue to be one.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Breaking news! Something, somewhere will be announced today.

Go Gators!!! FU@K the skank ass Noles and their bald a$$ fat mommas.

Heading to tailgate. Drink up fellas.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree. What’s the harm? Our offense has looked foolish for about seven years and they were going for a guaranteed fix to satisfy a demanding fan base but now you say they look foolish for trying too hard. Unbelievable.
No what is unbelievable is taking the President there if it wasn't locked up already. Heck I would laugh my butt off at a rival that was stupid enough to do that. Even Foley knew better than to do that because of the optics if you don't get the coach. You didn't see us flying to see Stoops the last 2 searches despite wanting to hire him. Hopefully Kelly surprises everyone.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
SS better get something done quick recruits starting to decommit.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
No what is unbelievable is taking the President there if it wasn't locked up already. Heck I would laugh my butt off at a rival that was stupid enough to do that. Even Foley knew better than to do that because of the optics. You didn't see us flying to see Stoops the last 2 searches despite wanting to hire him.

Stoops was never interested, Kelly was. If Kelly wasn’t interested he would have shot down UF immediately just like he did with UT. Oh no, the “optics” are bad! Let’s not take a chance because if we fail we look bad. Loser speak.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You Monday morning quarterbacks crack me up. Had UF taken the cool approach, it would have be criticized for not trying hard enough. Now it gets panned for trying too hard.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops was never interested, Kelly was. If Kelly wasn’t interested he would have shot down UF immediately just like he did with UT. Oh no, the “optics” are bad! Let’s not take a chance because if we fail we look bad. Loser speak.

The same with someone showing interest. We just disagree on them doing that. There is nothing that can't be determined without the President being there. Heck I bet Machen would have laughed if Foley ever asked him to do that prior to a coach being a done deal.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mora was ALREADY on the hot seat BEFORE the season so UCLA had ALREADY talked to Kelly BEFORE the season so they had a 6 MONTH head start on us. Same thing with Frost to Nebraska. Riley was ALREADY on the hot seat so Nebraska ALREADY had plans to bring in Frost after this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator