Christian McCaffrey Sitting Out Sun Bowl

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should have 8 bowl games max. That's 16 teams. Making a bowl game would be a real accomplishment, instead of the joke we have now.
It's going to have to start going that way. So many of the bowl games are absolute jokes, the stands are empty, and no one watches on tv. You actually lose money at many bowls bc the school must guarantee a bunch of tickets.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to have to start going that way. So many of the bowl games are absolute jokes, the stands are empty, and no one watches on tv. You actually lose money at many bowls bc the school must guarantee a bunch of tickets.
But the conference money makes up for it if you're in a Power 5. I'd like to see it go back to about 25 bowls...MAX. It won't happen as long as the bowls continue to make money.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if schools will start making the scholarships more like a contract.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Then they run into players being employees, and then have employee rights

Why would that be? Most sales channels run 1099 employees. This gives no employee W-2 rights YET they can stipulate all types of stuff.

These kids would not be employees and wouldn't fall under W-2.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why would that be? Most sales channels run 1099 employees. This gives no employee W-2 rights YET they can stipulate all types of stuff.

These kids would not be employees and wouldn't fall under W-2.

Do those channels also supply the health care that goes along with something like being an College Athlete. And it's not just sales channels, we use them here for some of the explosive works here. But with the other benefits that are involved, I believe they would be employees. I do not know the legal part of it, that is for others to decide.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do those channels also supply the health care that goes along with something like being an College Athlete. And it's not just sales channels, we use them here for some of the explosive works here. But with the other benefits that are involved, I believe they would be employees. I do not know the legal part of it, that is for others to decide.

I'm using a sales contract as an example. My point is that student athletes aren't W-2. HOWEVER, even 1099 employee can't be mandated certain things such as clocking in.

You might be right that if it's not properly vetted then the university may be at risk of violating employment rights.

The insurance was a good point.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
1099 Employee can work for whoever they want. So technically they could go play at another school. In fact you can't give a 1099 Employee a business card that has their name and your company name and they certainly can't wear a uniform.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even little Nicky says all the non-play-off games are meaningless now.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see your point but as an company that uses 1099 Independent Contractors, you can require the 1099 to have their own insurance but you also carry Workers Comp for said 1099. Should a 1099 Football player get injured, that would qualify for Works Comp.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1099 Employee can work for whoever they want. So technically they could go play at another school. In fact you can't give a 1099 Employee a business card that has their name and your company name and they certainly can't wear a uniform.
You can certainly have wardrobe requirements for 1099 Independent Contractors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.