Christian McCaffrey Sitting Out Sun Bowl

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the star players like Mcaffrey actually have insurance policies that pay out millions if they get hurt anyway. It might be the best thing to happen to a kid if they hurt their knee, get a $5 million payout from insurance, and never play in the NFL.

So I don't see the point of not playing.

Some do and some do not.. I remember Ed Chester had one, blew out his knee. The went on to working at the Boys and Girls club in Gainesville. But if you have been training for the NFL your whole life, and you have a shot at a first round contract (which is what he is currently rated). You don't see the point of skipping the Sun Bowl, and the risk of injury. That injury could cost him 10's of millions of dollars. Do you think a 5 million dollar insurance policy makes up for missing out on your dream to play in the NFL and possibly 10 million or more dollars?

It's easy for us to say play, because we have never been in that position. Jaylon Smith was rated as a top 5 player on some teams, he lost approximately 20 million dollars due his knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think players like Fournette and McCaffrey would have played if their teams were in the play-offs or in one of the "major" bowls. Easy to armchair this and say they need to play because they got a lot of benefits from their colleges and they owe it to their teams, but with money like that on the line, I don't blame them for setting out games like the Sun Bowl.

Players like Fournette and McCaffrey have a lot invested and pro-football is going to be their career. I have mixed feelings on this. One could argue that these players signed on for this so they should honor their commitment and play in the bowl game. I get that. But with the kind of money involved I absolutely see where these "star" players are coming from too.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
SO now these crap bowls are going to be even worse without the best players playing in them?

Good, it's about time we thinned the bowl herd.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Some do and some do not.. I remember Ed Chester had one, blew out his knee. The went on to working at the Boys and Girls club in Gainesville. But if you have been training for the NFL your whole life, and you have a shot at a first round contract (which is what he is currently rated). You don't see the point of skipping the Sun Bowl, and the risk of injury. That injury could cost him 10's of millions of dollars. Do you think a 5 million dollar insurance policy makes up for missing out on your dream to play in the NFL and possibly 10 million or more dollars?

It's easy for us to say play, because we have never been in that position. Jaylon Smith was rated as a top 5 player on some teams, he lost approximately 20 million dollars due his knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl.
I'm just saying that playing in the NFL might not be a good thing. But yeah, maybe they've worked for that their whole life. I can see that point of view. However, raking in a big insurance policy and then doing whatever you want for the rest of your life isn't a bad thing, either.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SO now these crap bowls are going to be even worse without the best players playing in them?

Good, it's about time we thinned the bowl herd.

42 bowl games is just insane. The only ones most people watch start on the 31st of December. And the games between Jan 2nd and the NC game are garbage as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He may have had insurance. Anyone know about that?

He did, he made $800,000 from his loss of value in the draft insurance. $700,000 from missing the first round, and $100,000 for being the 34th pick. If he fell completely out of the draft he would have made $5 Million.

Just an FYI the most ever paid out for lost of value insurance in the NFL draft is:
Oregon's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu who collected $3 Million who fell from the first round to the seventh round due to knee injury.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Question, Tom Hermann bailed on Houston before the bowl? Why isn't there the same fever against him. He signed a contract through this season.
Funny how this gets completely ignored. Completely ok for a coach to bail because of a business decision but not a kid. It's time people stop acting like college football is anything more than what it is...a business. We as fans like to view it through some prism of it being for the love of the game and really it's all bs...it's a business and both sides use each other.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Funny how this gets completely ignored. Completely ok for a coach to bail because of a business decision but not a kid. It's time people stop acting like college football is anything more than what it is...a business. We as fans like to view it through some prism of it being for the love of the game and really it's all bs...it's a business and both sides use each other.

Next you will be saying that there's no Santa Claus either!

:finger:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
it starts with a "meaningless" bowl game... in a few years it will be the second half of their senior year... why play college ball at all?

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I watched Stanford play a couple of times this year and they had no offense except for McCaffrey. Last year he looked so electric every time he touched the ball. This year, the other teams keyed on him every play. He got beat up because the rest of the offense was so weak. I don't blame him for shutting it down. It might improve Stanford's offense for next year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It's a good read, for me it comes down to personal preference. I'm not going to rip a guy who wants to prepare for the next step in his life. In the 90's we had guys who got "injured" before the bowl game instead of playing in it. If you are already worried about the risk how are you going to really play in the game. Some guys want to finish their college careers with a bang, which gives NFL teams more tape on them. The college football has become a job for a lot of these kids.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Eh, I like all the bowl games, college football once a day beats watching bad Christmas movies.
Disagree, we need to up the win count to be eligible to at least 8, maybe even 9. Hell, why not 10?

UF has no business being in a bowl game this year and neither does Iowa. It's a waste of time and money for all involved.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Eh, I like all the bowl games, college football once a day beats watching bad Christmas movies.

Bad Santa is the best Christmas movie or maybe Die Hard... but I get what you are saying.. a lot of Christmas movies are crap.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree, we need to up the win count to be eligible to at least 8, maybe even 9. Hell, why not 10?

UF has no business being in a bowl game this year and neither does Iowa. It's a waste of time and money for all involved.
Both UF and Iowa are in the AP Top 25, so I don't think us and them being in bowl game is an issue. It's the other 59 teams that aren't ranked that are in bowl games that is an issue (with bowl quality).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Both UF and Iowa are in the AP Top 25, so I don't think us and them being in bowl game is an issue. It's the other 59 teams that aren't ranked that are in bowl games that is an issue (with bowl quality).
I think we should have 8 bowl games max. That's 16 teams. Making a bowl game would be a real accomplishment, instead of the joke we have now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually... there is an "I" in team.
no_i_in_team_by_daniellaluvsu-d5226hv.png

Of course there is. It's right there. In the "A hole".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator