Christian McCaffrey Sitting Out Sun Bowl

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
This is actually a really interesting debate. Man, I can see both sides of it. But it will start creeping more and more into the season and the players will just sit out the last 6 games or their entire senior (or junior) year. Just a further erosion of why I love college football and non-professional sports.
I know this is crazy to believe, but even the High School game is losing its integrity. There are programs all over the nation, built solely as football factories,IMG cough cough, that profit off the kids who go to school there simply to play football. Kids transfer to the best high schools even if its not in their district by pulling strings behind the scene and its just wrong yet this is the state of America's sports scene where people can't enjoy sports anymore and the values it teaches, because they are too concerned with getting to the next level which makes no sense because a very few percent are able to play sports proffessionaly and play long enough to make enough money to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. FOCUS on your priorities people! Get an education first, sports comes second. That's what i was told growing up.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well they signed a contract to play, in exchange for a number of economically valuable promises from their universities.

I bet that cat in your av would play. Still one of my favorite gator stories btw.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
It seems to me that the school and the player have an agreement. The school provides certain incentives and in return, the player plays football for the school.

Question: Does the player have the right to receive all of the benefits and just refuse to play? Doesn't seem right.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One major injury to a top ten pick and you'll see this happen a bunch.

You mean Jaylon Smith in last years Fiesta Bowl? Top 10 pick, horrible knee injury, 2nd round pick that the Cowboys were roasted for.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It seems to me that the school and the player have an agreement. The school provides certain incentives and in return, the player plays football for the school.

Question: Does the player have the right to receive all of the benefits and just refuse to play? Doesn't seem right.

Did he play through his final semester deal Fall 2016? Yes...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Question, Tom Hermann bailed on Houston before the bowl? Why isn't there the same fever against him. He signed a contract through this season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It will eventually get to the point that a blue chip high school player will commit to a school and then never play a down so they can prepare for the draft.

Perhaps we should just let these high school asshats go straight to the NFL. If they can make it, good for them. For those that enroll in school, they have to give FOUR years, not 3.

The part bolding was briefly discussed on Mike and Mike this morning. I missed the second half of the conversation. Being Herm Edwards and Mike Golic both coach in one of the High School All-star games (can't remember which one). They said that you could see the small percentage of players even in that game that are going to the NFL.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, does McCaffrey still get the free trip to San Diego, stand on the sidelines to cheer his team, and walk away with all the swag they hand out to the players?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But there is ME.

Actually... there is an "I" in team.
no_i_in_team_by_daniellaluvsu-d5226hv.png

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are 125 FCS Football programs this year, and 42 bowl games not counting the NC game. That means out of 125 teams, 84 teams get into bowl games or 67.2% of all FCS football programs. How exactly do all the bowl games matter..

For those of you that say they do 7 games have happened... please list the teams and winner of these without looking them up:

AFR Celebration Bowl

Gildan New Mexico Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl

Raycom Media Camelia Bowl

AutoNation Cure Bowl

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Miami Beach Bowl

no cheating.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
... when the school is the one profitting off him and he reaps no benefits except when he is drafted...

This statement pushes my button. I am so tired of hearing this crap. I don't consider a $80k+ education "nothing". Nor do I consider the coaching, training, conditioning and facilities that they have access to in prepping for those NFL millions "nothing".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Say Jaylon Smith went 5th overall. He'd get a fully guaranteed 4-yr, $23.5M deal. Wound up with a 4-yr, $6.5M ($4.5M guar) deal instead.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) December 19, 2016

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, does McCaffrey still get the free trip to San Diego, stand on the sidelines to cheer his team, and walk away with all the swag they hand out to the players?

I believe that is a coaches decision. I'm guess that he will. He did help them get there.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
This statement pushes my button. I am so tired of hearing this crap. I don't consider a $80k+ education "nothing". Nor do I consider the coaching, training, conditioning and facilities that they have access to in prepping for those NFL millions "nothing".
Ok it is worth something, but you took that out of context of what my argument was about which is Mcaffrey sitting out the bowl game. He's not playing because he doesn't want to get injured and hurt his future. Also, if your good enough, the facilitites don't matter one iota see all the people that transfer to jucos and lower schools that go pro. The main benefit of attending the big schools is to get exposure. Also, let's face it with these big time athletes who are aspiring to be pros, both the college and the player know they are there for sports first not education, should it be the other way around? of course, but it isn't

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I think the star players like Mcaffrey actually have insurance policies that pay out millions if they get hurt anyway. It might be the best thing to happen to a kid if they hurt their knee, get a $5 million payout from insurance, and never play in the NFL.

So I don't see the point of not playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.