Coaching candidates for 2024

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, the Swamp was a sold out every game this year and last. For that matter some have claimed the ‘21 Ala game was as great an atmosphere as we’ve had in decades. Aub 19 as well. To say the fans haven’t been behind a coach, especially this one is insane. He was given every opportunity to harness that and do great here. His squandering of that goodwill and the fallout he’s about to see has nothing to do with the fan base.

Second, again, I posted a picture of Fuchs in the president’s box during the Samford game in 21. The noticeable scowl on his face said it all. It was the worst attendance all season and that didn’t go unnoticed. I said then that Mullen was done. He was fired exactly 8 days later.

As for cheering on losses, I think you manufacture that more in your head than you think. Do some give up, yes. But those same people that have given up on this clown and the three before him were later vindicated. Hire the right guy, watch him take some understandable bumps and bruises along the way, and the fans will absolutely stick by his side. Do what’s been done post Meyer and you will get the results those idiots got. It’s not complicated.
I never thought I'd see you get this emotionally unhinged like so many of our regulars. You were always the voice of reason, certainly not anymore. I would expect these kinds of posts from gardnerwebb, not you. You have been on a pearl-clutching rampage, something you never did for Muschamp, Butters, or Mullen. It's shocking, and it's not you.

The fact that the Swamp sold out every game this year proves that your ridiculous theory that it will be empty going forward is nonsense and wishful thinking. However, it's a moot point - it no longer matters. Maybe it mattered to Fuchs (I doubt it, and I love how you can take a look at someone's face and pretend like you know exactly what they were thinking), but it doesn't matter now. Mullen was fired because he had QUIT WORKING. Period, end of story, or he might actually still be here.

I'm certainly not saying Napier is going to work out because it would be a foolish thing to say at this point. What I'm saying is that he's not getting fired next year. In my opinion enough progress is going to be made to justify keeping him, because Sasse & Stricklin desperately do not want to fire him. SUPER desperately.

If I happen to be wrong and he DOES get fired, Steve Stricklin will be making the next hire. Of that I have no doubt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can’t. Again, this dates back to when Neighbor was first hired, and it was nothing but optimism. I said, then, that one way or another this would be Strickland‘s last hire. No one on planet earth thinks he gets a third crack at this. The only thing that’s keeping him safe for the moment is that Sasse has more pressing issues now. If he were approaching year 3 instead of year 2, this would probably have already happened.

I've said from the beginning this is his McElwain, Stricklin admitted it during the hire, even if some didn't believe it. When you make a hire the way this one happened, you are putting more on the line than a regular hire that involves a committee. Stricklin had less clout to work with as well, and the structure above him was in more flux, which gave him more leeway than he deserved.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I never thought I'd see you get this emotionally unhinged like so many of our regulars. You were always the voice of reason, certainly not anymore. I would expect these kinds of posts from gardnerwebb, not you. You have been on a pearl-clutching rampage, something you never did for Muschamp, Butters, or Mullen. It's shocking, and it's not you.

The fact that the Swamp sold out every game this year proves that your ridiculous theory that it will be empty going forward is nonsense and wishful thinking. However, it's a moot point - it no longer matters. Maybe it mattered to Fuchs (I doubt it, and I love how you can take a look at someone's face and pretend like you know exactly what they were thinking), but it doesn't matter now. Mullen was fired because he had QUIT WORKING. Period, end of story, or he might actually still be here.

I'm certainly not saying Napier is going to work out because it would be a foolish thing to say at this point. What I'm saying is that he's not getting fired next year. In my opinion enough progress is going to be made to justify keeping him, because Sasse & Stricklin desperately do not want to fire him. SUPER desperately.

If I happen to be wrong and he DOES get fired, Steve Stricklin will be making the next hire. Of that I have no doubt.

I didn’t even know Scott was married and that his significant other had that much away. But you may be right.

I’m not coming unhinged, by the way. I’m calling a spade, a spade, the same way I did in all previous cases. But I will admit that my frustration level is very high. After a brief reprieve in the first two years of Mullen, my kids are already back to not really caring to go into the games. For someone who grew up in the 90s, that’s tough to swallow as a parent. So whether these coaches realize it or not, the reason things kind of get personal at times is because there is a personal element to all of this.

On the picture, it was sent to me from a friend who said he’d been looking like that since the opening drive. There was noticeable anger at what was taking place. And if you think he cared more about football than Sasse, you’re crazy. I have no doubt he was dragged kicking and screaming to even play football in 2020 and would probably still have a mask mandate on campus if he was still around.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
As a coaching candidate, Hartline is my guy. Kiffen:barfaway:would be my second choice only because I think he could get us back to respectability and do so quickly.

Who I don't want? Jamey Chadwell. Sadly, I expect Chadwell to be the hire. It is just like us to sign a head coach with no power 5 experience in his entire coaching career. Stricklin gushing over the idea already.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So, I have a question about coaching hires that is actually applicable to all/most schools.

A coach is hired at a school and his results are great. He sticks it out and for a number of years and maybe even wins a natty or two. At the very least, he continues winning enough games to keep the fans happy. (Mark Richte comes to mind here). He then retires and the school hires his replacement who continues to do well and again, maybe wins a natty himself. Then that coach retires or decides to make a change and the school makes another homerun hire. All of this is hypothetical but there are cases where similar has happened mind you such as OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. even Bama had a grandslam coach in Bryant followed by a couple of meh coaches then Stallings won a natty. He was followed by five meh or worse coaches then we got Saban who is the GOAT.

Then you have schools like Florida. They had a great coach in Spurrier who won the natty and decided to give the NFL a shot. There were a couple hires that were meh then they hired Meyer. He won a lot of games and the fans were mostly very happy, especially when they won the Natty in '06 and '08. He left and now ya'll have had to endure several meh coaches.

Why do you think some schools can have multiple highly successful coaches consecutively and seem to never miss a beat but then other schools hires a successful coach followed by mediocrity for years and years?

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Probably already mentioned in this thread, but I learned something new last night. Jedd Fisch is a UF grad & served as a GA under Spurrier.

3 years at Arizona:
1-11
5-7
9-3

Hmmmmmm.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Meyer (realistic)
Deboer (probably says no)
Lanning ( probably says no)
Kiffin (says yes)
Chadwell (says yes)
Fisch ( says yes)

Unfortunately Billy probably won't be fired this season unless there is a complete collapse in recruiting . He will be fired next season. The good thing is at least it gives us another season to evaluate Fisch and Chadwell. If Fisch hits 10 or more wins next season and chadwell has another perfect or near perfect season id feel more comfortable with them. Also we can see how kiffin does next year. Meyer and Deboer are my top choices though. There maybe some other top choices that I can't think of also.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So, I have a question about coaching hires that is actually applicable to all/most schools.

A coach is hired at a school and his results are great. He sticks it out and for a number of years and maybe even wins a natty or two. At the very least, he continues winning enough games to keep the fans happy. (Mark Richte comes to mind here). He then retires and the school hires his replacement who continues to do well and again, maybe wins a natty himself. Then that coach retires or decides to make a change and the school makes another homerun hire. All of this is hypothetical but there are cases where similar has happened mind you such as OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. even Bama had a grandslam coach in Bryant followed by a couple of meh coaches then Stallings won a natty. He was followed by five meh or worse coaches then we got Saban who is the GOAT.

Then you have schools like Florida. They had a great coach in Spurrier who won the natty and decided to give the NFL a shot. There were a couple hires that were meh then they hired Meyer. He won a lot of games and the fans were mostly very happy, especially when they won the Natty in '06 and '08. He left and now ya'll have had to endure several meh coaches.

Why do you think some schools can have multiple highly successful coaches consecutively and seem to never miss a beat but then other schools hires a successful coach followed by mediocrity for years and years?
In my mind it's the level of commitment from the administration that really drives that. Keep in mind that until last year our facilities were subpar and that's being kind. We haven't been where we needed to be on the collective and NIL and I don't think Stricklin really gave it the attention it needed in the beginning.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We don't have to make a splash hire. We just have to make a good hire. Was Georgia dead when they hired kirby? Was Oregon dead when they hired Lanning? Was Oklahoma dead when they hired Venables? Was osu dead when they hired day? Sarkisian wasn't exactly a splash hire for Texas. Hiring an established p5 head coach doesn't usually happen.
You just made my point.
All of the programs you mentioned above were just fine.
Not winning Championships, but, just fine. Herman at Texas, Richt at Georgia, Cristobol at Oregon, Meyer at OSU, Riley at Ok.
They were a mile away from the depths we have sunken up to today. Not to mention, how far off a cliff we will be next year.
No, we need a big name splash hire to turn this damn thing around. Nothing will save recruiting better than a big name proven coach.
We've allowed Norvelle to get a foothold in Florida, not to mention Cristo and Gus.

We need a name bigger than Malzahn, Cristobol and Norvelle.

With NIL and an expanded SEC, we need a huuuge big name hire.
Then, we can win biggly.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In my mind it's the level of commitment from the administration that really drives that. Keep in mind that until last year our facilities were subpar and that's being kind. We haven't been where we needed to be on the collective and NIL and I don't think Stricklin really gave it the attention it needed in the beginning.

The problem you are describing start well before Stricklin, not saying Stricklin doesn't have fault, but the man that lead the hiring committee found someone similar to himself.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Napier isn't getting fire next year. Settle in.

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.
Tell ya what, I think you're dead wrong. If he's fired mid season you get a 1 month ban. If he isn't fired at all, ill ban you the rest of the year.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Yes the Washington guy is a proven winner and no brainer hire . Him and Lanning are good coaches that will continue to have success.
I don't see a cultural fit for DeBoer in Florida.
In the Southeast even.
Sorry, the guy is Big ten/Pac 2 Material.

No argument that he would be a great coach somewhere. To me, Sort of Like Kelly at UCLA. Not a fit for the SEC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see a cultural fit for DeBoer in Florida.
In the Southeast even.
Sorry, the guy is Big ten/Pac 2 Material.

No argument that he would be a great coach somewhere. To me, Sort of Like Kelly at UCLA. Not a fit for the SEC.
^agreed.... cultural fit is going to be so important for the next hire, and Muschamp is the closest we have gotten in over a decade, and how fuching sad is that.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thread title is wrong. CBN ain't getting fired in '24 unless even more wheels fall off this train. Maybe by the end of next year.

But the AD needs to go first and that, too, ain't happening.

But let's play this game...
Like I've said before, and others have mirrored recently in this post, our next coach has to be a "fit".
Coaches that fit that mold are:
- Kerwin Bell
- Fisch

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok just did some research on Hartline. National Recruiter of the Year, offensive mind, young and aggressive, and married to her. Change the locks at the facilities tonight, make the call to this guy, and Douglas and I will collect some boxes from Publix for Billy.

View attachment 64968

I'm a little shocked you posted this photo without comment on how one's pants should break...

CBN has really shaken you to the core.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Culture is an overrated Billy buzzword used by a guy who produces nothing but excuses for one poor performance after another. I don't care about culture and neither should you. Find a leader of men that can motivate, not a moron that couldn't convince a stripper to get on a pole while Def Leppard is playing. A proven winner than can motivate is what is most imperative. Stop hiring these dumbass Saban castoffs. Sark and Lane were head coaches long before they ever worked for Nicky, they are the exception not the rule. Deboer/Washington guy or however you spell his name or Lanning would be great hires. Grand slams out of the park to make gator football great again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.