Coaching candidates for 2024

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
3 wins....maybe.

Billy Taggart has been a playcaller for 4 P5 seasons and is 0-4 on winning seasons. Nothing has changed except losing several.of his best players.

I'm really not sure what happened to Ox. I guess he is just all in on being the new Vandy.

The new Vandy? We've already paid off half the mortgage on that property.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The new Vandy? We've already paid off half the mortgage on that property.

Maybe you didn’t hear. Stricklin refi-ed at 7.49 with Crete to pay for the gay Asian llama studies and BLM pathway. Just 28.5 more years to go though.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe you didn’t hear. Stricklin refi-ed at 7.49 with Crete to pay for the gay Asian llama studies and BLM pathway. Just 28.5 more years to go though.

Asked if wanted an ARM with rates this high, a confused Stricklin pointed to his bicep.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Napier isn't getting fired next year. Settle in.

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.

There is zero chance that Napier stays on as a coach if he goes 7-5 in Year 3. What possible reason would there be to keep him around?

His W/L record would be 18-19...which would be the worst 3 year return in at least 50 years. Winless against georgia and f$u as of now and doubtful to turn that around next year.

Recruiting? It's been better, sure; but he's struggling to develop the guys he has recruited and losing some of your top players in a critical offseason doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he'll be able to keep the guys he brings if he continues to struggle in an age where people can transfer for any reason under the sun.

Coaching? What have you seen that shows improvement from Year 1 until now? He's still garbage at time management--which has directly cost us at least 2-3 games over his tenure--and has gone from something that you kick people out of the gameday box for daring to point out to where even you saying "yea, he sucks there." That's how bad it is. Finding ways to win? A losing record in close games, just 2 wins vs Top 25 teams and a laughably bad record on the road.

But wait...there's more.

Program management? None of his assistant coaches have been amazing hires--and I struggle to identify ANY unit that's demonstrably improved during his tenure. Letting players go? Look at some of the OTs and LBers who were allowed to xfer and start/do well at other schools. That's poor evaluation--which is on him to correct. As a program manager, put your ego aside and put efforts into keeping leadership and talent. For that matter, one thing that is an absolute MUST is to get a ST coordinator or to make it a full-time focus. These past two years have been utterly ridiculous. Frankly, the fact he hasn't come out immediately after the season ended to say "there will be a full-time coach overseeing the unit next year, not a grad asst" is concerning to me. At least *acknowledge* that "yup, this approach isn't working and I will fix it." He hasn't. That could still change...but it's a glaringly obvious problem that he could immediately get in front of...and instead, his attitude appears to be as clueless as his fiddling response of "can you give examples?" (When asked about ST costing us this season).

Our schedule next year isn't for the feint of heart and Napier has shown us absolutely no reason for optimism. Mertz--Bless his Heart--is a better QB than we thought...but he's not an elite QB and his lack of an arm hurts our entire offense. Without Etienne and Pearsall next year...our offense is going to look even more suspect.

The only thing that would keep Napier around ia a 9-3 type season where we score many wins, including going 4/6 vs our FL rivals (f$u, scUM, and UCF) and our traditional rivals (georgia, f$u, Tennessee, LSU).

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
What strikes me is that fans from other programs have been commenting what a dumpster fire we are, not from a making fun of type stance but more of a disbelief at what Gator football has become. You can't use the typical "entitled Gator fans" excuse on them either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Im sure there is a thread here with the predictions somewhere. I remember people saying "forget the spring game, the OL will be SCRONG!!!!" and stuff like that.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
@gatorev12 he goes 7-5, stricks see that as progress and he absolutely gets year 4, only way he gets fired next year is another sub 500 year

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@gatorev12 he goes 7-5, stricks see that as progress and he absolutely gets year 4, only way he gets fired next year is another sub 500 year
That was last year before the year, btw. Im sure even the most devoted and unthinking pumper doesnt see 9-11 wins this year.

It doesn't matter. He isn't getting anywhere near 7 wins without being given a stack of 1AA creampuffs.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm on record saying he's fired before the halfway mark with a total of 1 win against Samford to his name. He sucks.

Last edited:

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
You could put a dead body on the sideline and that would be better than Napier. We've had several wins that turned in to losses because of Napier's self-destructive personality.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He’s got a better chance of winning the lottery than having a winning record next year. No way we’re favored in more than 2-3 games and we know he’s not out-coaching anyone except for maybe the retard on Rocky Flop.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He’s got a better chance of winning the lottery than having a winning record next year. No way we’re favored in more than 2-3 games and we know he’s not out-coaching anyone except for maybe the retard on Rocky Flop.
We will get smoked that game, it's not in the swamp where no Tennessee team will ever win.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Im sure there is a thread here with the predictions somewhere. I remember people saying "forget the spring game, the OL will be SCRONG!!!!" and stuff like that.

I predicted 7 wins before the season. I thought Mertz would struggle, but our defense would be much improved. Now I listen to Shane’s podcast everyday, and all summer he was pumping up this team, saying they were gonna surprise. He was really high on Mertz and the front 7. He was thinking at least 8 wins. He was right on QB, but not much else. He won’t publicly say it, but I’m sure he now think like most of the message board, that Billy is in over his head.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm on record saying he's fired before the halfway mark with a total of 1 win against Samford to his name. He sucks.
Don’t laugh bro but Samford ain’t gonna be a gimme . Im expecting it to be a fight in the fourth quarter

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Urban Meyer on the Florida job:

"Billy Napier and his staff, is there pressure on him? Hell yeah there is, but that comes with the job. ...

"First of all Florida fans have the right to be upset. They’re fans. Florida is an elite place."

“Nobody is making the coaching staff stay at Florida. There’s plenty of places where you can go, and mediocrity is accepted, and Florida is not one of them.”

via
@BuddyMartinShw

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well as a matter of fact Shane had 3/4's of this board(very few will admit it now)convinced that we were MUCH better at every position group in August...

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Buddy Martin is as reliable a UAA mouthpiece is there is out there, and he's been critical of Napier since the Utah debacle. I certainly don't remember a time when UF beat writers were as openly critical of a coach that wasn't a dead man walking, but these are strange times indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator