College World Series thread

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n237966 said:
I don't blame Spurrier for getting smoked in the 95 CG. Or Donovan for losing in the Final 4 two years ago. Sometimes you run up against superior talent.

So, yes. I can be selective (based on history and patterns) when choosing whether to blame a coach.

You just compared your argument with 2 Coaches that actually closed it out and won a championship.

This is just another choke job from a coach who can't win it all. He's had multiple chances with multiple different teams.

This year the excuse is that the team is young an played better than they should. Another year it was facing the defending champion. Next year it will be because we lost certain people.

Sorry if I don't believe he will do anything different.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n237984 said:
You just compared your argument with 2 Coaches that actually closed it out and won a championship.

This is just another choke job from a coach who can't win it all. He's had multiple chances with multiple different teams.

This year the excuse is that the team is young an played better than they should. Another year it was facing the defending champion. Next year it will be because we lost certain people.

Sorry if I don't believe he will do anything different.
Seriously?

Since Sully inherited a program with a history of NC's, he should win it every year. Oh wait....he didn't. How many years did it take Billy and Steve to win a national title? I'm sure after the 95 Nebraska game you were calling for Spurrier's head.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n237986 said:
Seriously?

Since Sully inherited a program with a history of NC's, he should win it every year. Oh wait....he didn't. How many years did it take Billy and Steve to win a national title? I'm sure after the 95 Nebraska game you were calling for Spurrier's head.

This is exactly why I call our fan base "entitled morons". Win it all every year or fire the coach. There's no way to reason with that mentality.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Remember, Spurrier would say that winning the SEC was his team's main goal. Our baseball team, with freshmen in
essential positions, did just that and beyond. Our offense set CWS records and in a way were the pundits' favorites ….
… except what baseball is all about = "on any given day… who knows ?? These Gators missed by one run.

Damn baseball allows you to win over 50 games and lose it all. That's really tough for our Gator players and for us fans.

Jun 2, 2015
To be the 3rd best team out of over 200 in the entire USA IS pretty good and the team and coach are to be congratulated.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't have to look far to see our very own Tim Walton and the National Champion Women's College Softball team...now back-to-back. I think it took Walton 8 tries in the WCWS to finally win. Mike Martin is the poster child for not winning championships, not Kevin O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan is a great coach and only made one bad decision last night. I say we keep him...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's amazing how some of you are perfectly fine with having Top notch recruiting classes year after year, getting to the CWS consistently and finishing the same way year after year. Then again, there are those that feel like everyone deserves a trophy. Glad we've got them here as well.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n237999 said:
It's amazing how some of you are perfectly fine with having Top notch recruiting classes year after year, getting to the CWS consistently and finishing the same way year after year. Then again, there are those that feel like everyone deserves a trophy. Glad we've got them here as well.

Look...no ones happy we lost, but it was still a great season and helluva run. How hard is that to grasp? There is exactly ONE team out of over 200 that can bring home the title. We made it to the final 3 and were a hit or two away from being in the finals. WTF do you propose happens? Want him fired for not winning it all? Who you replace him with that is guaranteed to win it all?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
NVGator;n237999 said:
I think you deserve a trophy

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
MJMGator;n238000 said:
Look...no ones happy we lost, but it was still a great season and helluva run. How hard is that to grasp? There is exactly ONE team out of over 200 that can bring home the title. We made it to the final 3 and were a hit or two away from being in the finals. WTF do you propose happens? Want him fired for not winning it all? Who you replace him with that is guaranteed to win it all?
You're arguing with a guy that has compared WM and Sully. You're better than that :lol:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n237999 said:
LMAO! You're just pulling everyone's chain, right?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have to agree with MJM in that the faction of our fans who think if we don't win it all every year, the best solution for sure that we do is to fire the coach after lambasting him incessantly. I guess Muschamp's lack of success and the hard feelings may bleed over? Seriously, no one expects less than a really good effort from players and coaches alike, but to think that anything less than winning it all is a failure is just unrealistic at best and delusional at worst. I also think to call O'Sullivan a choker is pretty dumb. Where this series is concerned, some will say not pitching Puk cost us the game. I'd argue that failing to execute and score with runners in scoring position twice was the bigger factor. Also probably got us into the pen sooner than it might have and the first two relievers weren't as consistent as they should have been compared to what they accomplished during the season. But the post season can be like this for youngsters. Anyway, believe what you want, but my opinion is that we have a coach that is good and will likely win us one soon.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone is saying we have to win it all every year. I think Sully is a tremendous recruiter, and will probably have our boys in the hunt all the time. If that's good enough for you, then that's great. HOWEVER, if the ultimate goal is to win it all, I know I feel he's never going to get it done. Never. He's proven he simply doesn't have the "it" factor in big games - kind of a Peyton Manning thing. At some point if you feel that winning the NC is the goal, you have to try someone else.

Mark Richt is a great example of this. He has a pretty good career record. Should he have been fired years ago? Hell yes!

Perhaps Sully will prove me wrong and force me to eat crow.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n238033 said:
I don't think anyone is saying we have to win it all every year. I think Sully is a tremendous recruiter, and will probably have our boys in the hunt all the time. If that's good enough for you, then that's great. HOWEVER, if the ultimate goal is to win it all, I know I feel he's never going to get it done. Never. He's proven he simply doesn't have the "it" factor in big games - kind of a Peyton Manning thing. At some point if you feel that winning the NC is the goal, you have to try someone else.

Mark Richt is a great example of this. He has a pretty good career record. Should he have been fired years ago? Hell yes!

Perhaps Sully will prove me wrong and force me to eat crow.
Good points. But it's too early to pull the plug on Sully, right?
Or...... are you saying he's at the end of his leash?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have no say in the matter. I think the odds of Foley firing him anytime soon are the same as me waking up with a Lamborghini in my garage, even if Sully blows the next 30 years. In fact, I'm surprised Foley hasn't already offered him a lifetime extension.

It's all meaningless message board blather. He's going nowhere.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n238039 said:
I have no say in the matter. I think the odds of Foley firing him anytime soon are the same as me waking up with a Lamborghini in my garage, even if Sully blows the next 30 years. In fact, I'm surprised Foley hasn't already offered him a lifetime extension.

It's all meaningless message board blather.
I realize you have no say. This is completely hypothetical. If you were AD,would you let Sully go?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n238044 said:
I realize you have no say. This is completely hypothetical. If you were AD,would you let Sully go?
Yes. Time to move on. Sitting our best pitcher in a do-or-die game last night would have been the final straw. Give someone else a shot.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n238049 said:
Yes. Time to move on. Sitting our best pitcher in a do-or-die game last night would have been the final straw. Give someone else a shot.
We disagree here. But I love you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator