Cue....the "excuse train"

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
:trainwreck:

UF defense incredibly depleted heading into Outback Bowl

TAMPA --
Florida will be without three linebackers who have made a collective 21 starts this season when it takes on Iowa in the Outback Bowl.

Starting linebackers Jarrad Davis (ankle) and Alex Anzalone (broken arm) have been ruled out for the game, along with David Reese (wrist), who filled in admirably for them late in the season.

"Injury-wise, we'll probably be without all the linebackers," coach Jim McElwain said. "That's all right, we'll get some other guys in there and they'll play well."

The news is equally iffy in the secondary, where Florida could be down two starting safeties. Senior Marcus Maye has been ruled out with a broken arm, while redshirt junior Nick Washington is looking doubtful with a high-ankle sprain.

"Nick would be highly questionable right now," McElwain said. "He's tried to work through it, kind of as we talked about, the high-ankle sprains, those are career-ending. But he's tried, but it's not..."

The defensive line could also be without a pair of starters, though one may try to give it a go. Defensive end Jordan Sherit will miss the game with a knee injury.

His counterpart on the strong side, Bryan Cox Jr., is trying to battle through a high-ankle sprain but is teetering toward doubtful as Monday's game approaches.

"Cox has tried. There again, kind of the same ankle thing," McElwain said. "I'd say he's probably in the same boat as Nick, and yet he knows that this is an opportunity to put some good stuff on film. So that's what he's been working to do."

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/UF-defense-incredibly-depleted-heading-into-Outback-Bowl-50127676

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think Reese was the only unexpected name on that list. Thankfully we're playing an offense ranked lower than ours. :lol:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Happenstance better and all those guys could be playing, making our defense much, much better.
That's just plain fact, not excuse.
Besides, we're gonna win so no excuses needed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:butters:

Like Ar Kansas, this is a bad matchup for us even when we were healthy because we are soft and undersized up the middle.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
How is this an excuse? Just fact. You would be blinded by self interest to not acknowledge the loss of these players.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would have typed a winning rebuttal against excuse whiners but I've injured my typing finger.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
930ecd53fa84f75eaf271735afb435ab.jpg

There's a chance if we had 120 days off that we may not be able to field a team...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Reese was the only unexpected name on that list. Thankfully we're playing an offense ranked lower than ours. :lol:
Im not sure in what. We are behind them in scoring offense and the last I checked they still determine wins and losses by comparing how much the teams scored.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good Ol Butters, making it out like it's just an exhibition or spring game....If we get clobbered by Iowa I'll take bets we drop out of the top 25 in recruiting rankings within the next week......Of course Butters can't seem to get us ranked in the top 25 of anything.....

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Please explain to me how we are still so banged up! This team seems to be made out of tissue paper and it seems like it has gone on for a couple of years. Is our strength coach that bad?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please explain to me how we are still so banged up! This team seems to be made out of tissue paper and it seems like it has gone on for a couple of years. Is our strength coach that bad?
Extreme lack of depth.

And talent.

And coaching.

We play the same number of games as every other team.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Extreme lack of depth.

And talent.

And coaching.

Yeah, but still the injuries just seem way too frequent. Didn't we get some guys hurt this year in WARMUPS and on different occasions? How the hell does that happen? It just seems like our injuries have been excessive in the past couple of years, but I'm sure there are team out there more injury prone than us.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unlike McCaffery, these guys are making excuses for not playing in such an important bowl game. At least he had the balls to give a real reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator