Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by Zambo, Aug 6, 2017.

1. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20

2. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    I've noticed that the rewind and fast forward is not as smooth as spectrums DVR, but it is workable.

Haven't seen any issues with replay yet, but I will keep looking.

3. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20
    Was spectrums an in house or cloud dvr. In house would be smoother. When I had Vue they were just getting their dvr service started and it was sh!tty . :lmao2:

4. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    of course it is in house, thus the difference. I just said that for others that haven't switched and are thinking about it.

I have used the fast forward and rewind a little more (and now using the universal remote for PS4) and while a little more jumpy than the in house, it is actually not bad at all

5. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20
    The problem that I had was the dvr would play the 1st 15 seconds or so of the recording over and over. While that was in it's infancy I was reading in the complaints that some people are still having that problem.

6. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    I have watched a couple that I set to dvr and haven't seen that yet. So we'll see. I am using the PS4 though, which I have hesrd is the best way to watch it.

We'll see how the Fire Sticks do when I get them.

7. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    Well, I have officially made the move.
    I stuck with Spectrum for the internet at 60 mbps. They are charging $64.99 a month (all in), and that is non promotional, so it will always be that price.
    Hopefully I can find some better options over time for internet, but they just don't exist yet in my location that I am aware of.

Streaming PS Vue Elite plan for $54.99 (not opposed to jumping to other streaming services as they get live locals online but we'll see).

Using a PS4, 1 Amazon Fire TV Box, 2 Amazon Fire TV Sticks, and my 10.1" Samsung Tablet for good measure :lol:

Ran a test last night with all 5 streaming PS Vue at the same time on the different profiles, and all worked well. Typically my speeds here are between 55 and 70 mbps (under the 60 mbps plan), and with all five streaming we still had about half the bandwidth left.

The PS4 is the best experience while viewing, but the Fire TV Box is right their with it (minus the multichannel viewing capabilities). There is a noticeable difference between the Fire TV Box and the Sticks, while scanning the guide, though it is not a game killer.

So far no real issues with the streaming or playback.
    Occasionally a split second buffer pops up but it is random and rare and doesn't really do anything to the viewing experience as it is literally less than a second. Certainly not an issue considering what I am saving.

My Spectrum bill was actually going to go up to over $191 a month.
    With this move I will be saving ~$72 a month. So I will have the Amazon products paid off in a little over two months. After that, over $850 a year in savings. Not bad when still getting pretty much all the channels we want to watch.
    :dance:

8. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20
    Have you used the Fire voice command ?

9. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    Not too much. Last night was primarily set up.
    Wife seems to have caught on how it all works too, so we'll figure out some of the other stuff within the amazon products as we use them more.

10. GatorTAG

GatorTAG Paid Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4
    Ratings:
    +2,799 / -33
    Alright I just read all this crap and it is like reading Greek hieroglyphics.

I currently have AT&T DSL for internet at 24mbs and AT&T Uverse for TV. My "promotion" price ended and they're raising it to $165/mo for that crappy service. I aint gonna pay that. I can call them and renegotiate that back down to the $125/mo I've been paying but I'm interested in trying to understand what else is out there. TV is changing fast and I haven't kept up.

I understand OTA and have done that in the past. That got me all the local channels plus about a dozen others and was okay.

I don't understand any of these other streaming services, different boxes, and all these acronyms you guys are tossing around. Don't you still need internet for those to work? Or do they work OTA? If I still have to have internet am I really cutting the cord?

My other options are Comcast Cable $$$$, Dish (which I've had) AT&T (current) and AT&T DIRECTV.
    I mainly watch sports and need SEC network to catch Gator games. My wife watches Fox News like an addict and occasionally she watches the hallmark channels or something that makes her happy after binging on Fox News.

11. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20
    Cutting the cord is referring to getting rid of those high cable/satellite tv bills. Streaming over the internet seems to be the wave of the future right now. You need a fast reliable internet, then you need to pick out a streaming service that best fits your viewing needs. Playstation Vue seems to been the choice right now but Sling , DirectTV Now, Hulu, GoogleTV are all in now.

I have OTA for locals and use Sling TV for sports. Sling is the cheapest but the most restrictive for viewers. The Orange package only allows one streaming at a time but carries the most sports. I have the added sports package which adds $5 for a total of $25.

Ask all the questions you want. No contract and you can quit anytime they will cut it off at the end of your billing cycle. Most give a week free trial. You have to have a streaming device, Roku, Firestick, Playstation but you pick out your service and then see what device you need.

12. GatorTAG

GatorTAG Paid Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4
    Ratings:
    +2,799 / -33
    So is Sling a device? An internet site? How much do the devices that stream this cost? Isn't a Play Station a few hundred dollars. What is Roku, Firestick?

So up front cost are Play Station $300? OTA Antenna $100?

Good internet is $40-$50 /mo.

Adding the sling thing is $25. Is that just for the sports? Does that include SEC network?

What about Fox News and other channels? Are those additional streaming packages?

13. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +1,821 / -20
    A lot of people already have Playstation if not there are cheaper devices and some streaming services will give you a device with your 1st month subscription.

Here is a good article rating the services. To answer your question, Sling TV doesn't include Fox News. I watch Fox News on Youtube, where you can find 10 or 15 live feeds, it's my favorite channel. With the $5 sports package on Orange you get the SEC network.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stre...tion-vue-fubo-2017-8/#youtube-tv-continued-13

14. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    There is a Sling device, but it is not Sling TV. The Slingbox device connects to your wifi at home, and allows you to log in remotely to your home system, however it is you view tv. http://www.slingbox.com/

Sling TV is a streaming service, much like cable, but via the internet. https://www.sling.com/

That will vary based on individual device and capability. What device(s) you may need will vary based on the streaming service you choose.
    You will have to do some of the research yourself, because everyone is not looking for the same things. You can start with sling.com and see if you like what they offer, and you can scroll to the bottom of their page to see what devices are compatible.
    For most of these services, the Amazon Fire Tv Box

and Amazon Fire Tv Stick

are commonly used, and tend to offer the best user experience.
    The Box offers a faster processor, as well as expandable memory, over the Stick.

You can check out the rest of the streaming services, as well as look at what streaming devices are compatible with them on their sites:
    PS Vue
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/
    Hulu TV
    https://www.hulu.com/welcome?orig_path=/tv&orig_referrer=https://www.bing.com/
    Direct TV Now
    https://www.directvnow.com/
    Youtube TV
    https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

There are others, but they aren't viable at this point.

Yes, but you don't need it to stream PS Vue. The Amazon Fire TV Box offers a very good user experience for PS Vue. The only difference between the PS3 or PS4 and the Amazon Fire TV Box, when using PS Vue, is the capability of watching up to 3 shows at one time on the playstation consoles. It is thought that this may expand over time though.
    People who are using the playstations are usually people that already had it as a game console.

It is another company that makes streaming devices, like the Amazon products, but with a different user experience. There are several different products that they make, the one you get will depend on the one you need or want.
    https://www.roku.com/index

You may or may not need an OTA antenna. You will need to look at each of the streaming services and see what channels they offer. Most, if not all of the 5 listed are offering live locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, and some even with CW or MyTV) But this will vary by streaming service as well as location you are in.

OTA antenna's have a wide range of pricing, depending on the antenna itself and it's capability. I would check each of the steaming services first to see what they offer live already and decide if you need an OTA antenna at all.

the 25 mbps you have may be enough, depending on how many different devices you plan on having on your wifi at any given time, but shop around and see what offers you can come up with for your area.
    You can use this website to test your actual speeds, and they also have an app on Google Play and Apple's App Store as well for your phone if you want to check it that way. http://www.speedtest.net/
    Your speed may vary based on time of day as well, so you may want to check your speeds during peak hours to make sure it isn't dropping too much. If it is, you may need to look at other options.

It will be a lot easier for you to go to the websites listed above and see what works best for you.

Here is a decent article on some of the streaming devices themselves.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421457,00.asp

This website below is also really great for keeping up with the changes going on with this topic. Lots of good information, and they are constantly updating information as well.
    http://cordcuttersnews.com/

BTW, like Gren already said, all of these streaming services are NO contract, so you can bounce around as one becomes better than the other.

15. GatorTAG

GatorTAG Paid Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4
    Ratings:
    +2,799 / -33
    10-4 guys. I appreciate the help. I need to get up to speed with all this changing technology. :whew:

16. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $64
    Ratings:
    +3,748 / -28
    It has been becoming more popular over the last few years.

17. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    With the NFL games getting blacked out, is that an NFL rights issue?
    Meaning, there shouldn't be an issue with college games right?

18. ufgator812

ufgator812 Duke of Marlborough
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / -20
    Correct. It's a territorial rights thing with the NFL.

19. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    Thank you kind sir

20. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $64
    Ratings:
    +3,748 / -28
    Yes, it's 150 miles from the stadium of NFL games.