Dan Mullen is...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stand by for heavy rolls... Many (most?) on this board don’t care about any sport other than football. A few care about basketball, but it nosedives from there. You’ll see snide comments about the all sports trophies.
Yes, when you are rolling 4-8 teams out there, no one cares about the bullshyt non revenue sports.

Actually the fact that the are nonrevenue TELLS you in advance that no one cares.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
A successful sports program and a successful football team do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I follow Gator basketball, baseball, and even softball. If I’m in town I’ll attend just about anything. But I actually plan trips to catch basketball and baseball. Basketball is always entertaining and come on....a weekend baseball day game outside in the spring? You gotta enjoy that!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I care about baseball when we get to the World Series.
I care about basketball when we get to the Sweet 16 (and whenever we play KY)
I care about football 24/7/365

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
While I agree recruiting is very important, how you measure it is also very important. Stars are not the critical element, but rather the fit. Do you want to be a Gator? Do you have the capability to play in the SEC? Do you have the attitude that we require, but others might not? Do you respect academics? Stars only could a little according to me.

Sorry I have to disagree Chief. For pretty much any field, when recruiting, your first filter is skills and/or potential. Then once candidates pass the "skills" test, you then filter on fit, personality, buy-in, etc. In college football, stars are a measure either skills/potential; hence the first filter for a list of candidates.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I don't think I voiced anything against him. I tend to agree with BMF on this one.

However, I suspect that he's a guy I wouldn't like or want as a part of our program from a perspective that isn't X's and O's. I'll never forget Grantham's choke sign to our punter Chas Henry, when he was taking on place kicking duties (Though Henry said he didn't think it was a big deal). During Saturday's game, I'm pretty sure I saw him taunting the Mississippi State fans near the end of the game. That's a bad, bad look. With that kind of discretion, I would not be surprised (perhaps even expect) some scandal to hit him. I hope it doesn't, especially while he's coaching for UF, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

I think he's probably a much better coach than man.

Yes, Grantham called a solid game against MSU. But man, I still want to lose my lunch when I see him on the sidelines.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Sorry I have to disagree Chief. For pretty much any field, when recruiting, your first filter is skills and/or potential. Then once candidates pass the "skills" test, you then filter on fit, personality, buy-in, etc. In college football, stars are a measure either skills/potential; hence the first filter for a list of candidates.

Not a problem, when I had to recruit a new employee first they must fit into our organization, now of course they must also have competency, but a great employee that fights with their co-workers is worse than no employee.

Thanks for the response.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Says who? I like him a lot better than I did a few months ago.

Hell, I don't even much care what the record is this year, so long as we show improvement and hopefully land a great class (that seems impossible at this point).
I'm with Donkey here. I'm definitely impressed with the progress Mullen has made with this group. Getting these guys to buy in and play as hard as they have been for 4 Q's is no small feat.

But if he doesn't get recruiting way up this could be one of his most talented teams for the next several years, depending on which juniors depart.

Beat LSU and that has to help recruiting a lot, even if stats don't always show a direct correlation between new coaches record and first few recruiting class rankings.

He should go talk to Mike White to see what his magic is, because he is killing it. Of course the BB team has maintained a lot more success than FB over the last decade so you might expect BB recruiting to be a little easier sell. Still, White looks like one of the top recruiters in the nation right now so no harm in picking his brain.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with Donkey here. I'm definitely impressed with the progress Mullen has made with this group. Getting these guys to buy in and play as hard as they have been for 4 Q's is no small feat.

But if he doesn't get recruiting way up this could be one of his most talented teams for the next several years, depending on which juniors depart.

Beat LSU and that has to help recruiting a lot even, if stats don't a;ways show a direct correlation between new coaches record and first few recruiting class ranking. He should go talk to Mike White to see what his magic is, because he is killing it. Of course the BB team has maintained a lot more success than FB over the last decade so you might expect BB recruiting to be a little easier sell. Still, White looks like one of the top recruiters in the nation right now so no harm in picking his brain.
couldn't agree more, recruiting is nothing more than salesmanship. The same concepts translate to any sport. Whatever white is doing, we need some of it in the football program.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Really? Now LSU is not a "good" team? Like their offense or not, they rank 6th now, undefeated so far.

Stop moving the goal post. Mullen is doing what he needs to do so far.
They are a good team, just not a great team. And I don't know why anyone would have predicted us to have no chance in this game before the season, but that would just be based on ignorance. We beat them 2 yrs ago and were a play or 2 away from winning last year, and of course we have them at home again this year.

Everyone expects this to be a close game between 2 pretty evenly matched good, not great teams which is why Vegas has us less than a FG dogs. If we were playing a great team like Bama we would be minimum of 17 point underdogs and more likely over 3 TD dogs.

This is a very winnable game, but if we don't win it doesn't mean the players or coaches suck. It's expected be close affair that could go either way, although I actually predicted a 10 point win for us, but that might just be homerism.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
First filter should be academic capability. STUDENT/athlete. First SAT/ACT scores, then grades in real course work, then sports skill. Boy am I prepared to be skewered.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
First filter should be academic capability. STUDENT/athlete. First SAT/ACT scores, then grades in real course work, then sports skill. Boy am I prepared to be skewered.

I agree as long a capability is not to meet the common UF standard, but rather to have success in academics given all the advantages that players have. Like you say they are to be students first, and if you can't make it as a student your ability to play will go away eventually.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, when you are rolling 4-8 teams out there, no one cares about the bullshyt non revenue sports.

Actually the fact that the are nonrevenue TELLS you in advance that no one cares.
You act as if this is novel or unique to Florida. As long as there has been college athletics, there have been non-revenue sports.

Hell, maybe we should eliminate everything but the profitable sports from the Olympic Games as well. They're a drag on the system. We can make it a four-day event.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE="CGgate You’ll see snide comments about the all sports trophies.[/QUOTE]

What? When it comes to UF winning the "All Sports Trophy", GC's got no sports ??

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I’ve always taken LSU as the first real test of the program. We always learn a lot about the team against them. 2012 was the best season since 2009 and the second-half bulldozing the OL did on LSU was, along with the F$U game, among the best moments.

But the big test comes in the grind. Big, physical win vs. MSU followed by mighty LSU, trap morning game on the road at dreary Vandy, then UGA. That’s where the separation of average to good to great gets defined and their mental toughness is really tested. And it’s that grind that separates the SEC from every other conference. Most teams have a murderous October schedule. (Bama does not.) The survivors will earn their rankings.

It’s good and frankly a significant change from prior years that we’re relatively healthy. Losing Wilson hurt, he’s one of our best players, but so far that’s it. Chalk that up to training under Savage and the effort emphasis.

It’s good that they are rotating guys a ton and spreading the ball around, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.