DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Defensive woes have had me scratching my head. We should be getting better and we're not. So is it scheme, players, coaching??? Is Toney that bad with the improvement he showed over his last few seasons. Is Raymond really not a good DB Coach? I could go on and on with the questions. I finally took some time and watched the breakdown with GNFP and just the defensive plays. OMG, glad I don't have to break down film. What stood out to me was absolutely no pressure by the D other than occasionally Cox. Teams are scheming to take care of that. But absolutely NO RUSH. This puts extreme pressure on the LB's and DB. And when I mean pressure on them, especially the DB make it worse. Many have spoken about Torrence and "ta da" Trey Dean. Torrence is just simply not getting the reads and cannot figure out who to cover. Dean is probably the worst disciplined and also cannot figure out his coverages. He is exposed in those breakdowns. Heck he cannot even turn the right direction to cover when he finally figures out what is going on. Whenever Napier says we have 10 guys doing the right thing and one doing it wrong, it's no joke.

I really don't think that all the coaches are that terrible. I will go to the extent that Toney needs to really switch it to simplify the D as most of them cannot process it and the line cannot get a constant rush. I fully believe that Raymond is a great coach as well. I still think the main issue is the personnel, lack of depth, and younger guys catching up to the college game. Until you get your younger guys up to speed dumb it down for the Phatham holdovers. Several plays if Dean and Torrence did their job, the plays on 3rd down would have been considerably different. I know woulda, coulda, shoulda. But this is where we are at this point with the defense.

Looking at the tape it really looks as if it is basic reads and responsibilities, they just don't get it. So if they don't pick one D and stick with it. Play press, load the box, and make them throw (they've been getting anyway) or Stick with zone. This personnel cannot handle the complexities of it. Phatham really FK'd this D up and we're paying the price for it. But it's Toney's show for now. He will not get fired, but feel Napier will not stick his head in the sand either. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the season. If you get a chance to check out the film breakdown posts do so.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We should be getting better and we're not.
This part is on coaching. I see hardly any different looks and little or no urgency to put heat on the opposing QB....At this point I wonder if the coaches aren't using the rope a dope boxing strategy and just hope the opposing offense gets too tired to score in the 2nd half :scratchhead:

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I’ve reserved much comment on this for a while, but going back and watching film review I see a few things that are left unsaid that make me cringe. Let’s start with the D-line: It’s Cox when he decides not to take a play off and Dexter, who by the middle of the 3rd quarter is at 70% due to the insane snap count. No one is worried about anyone else we trot out there. Especially Watson on 3rd and long between the 20’s. Sheesh. So now only 2 have to truly be accounted for out of 11. Easily done by any competent OC. LBs: Name one thing Burney does better than average. Not a factor, leaving it easy just to stay away from Miller on the run or force him into what he can’t do which is cover. Jury is out on Shemar due to experience. Now its 11 vs 4. Advantage offense. Which leads us to DBs. Talk scheme all you want but Dean is going to suck regardless of task. Not a factor. Torrence takes terrible angles, don’t know if that can be coached out of him. I’m really good with our CB’s and I do wish we played tighter, but if they face an elite WR you are gonna lose a few times a game, it’s a cost of doing business. End of the day we are trotting out 5-6 players that are decent across all levels of our defense.
Every coach worth a damn will tell you to scheme around what you have if you don’t have much. And we don’t.
Leading us to scheme. No sense in trying to disguise much now as we know that not much of what we run is going to matter. What I wish Toney would do in the obvious 3rd and long is play tight man regardless and with the young guys at safety every time for the rest of this year. Let them rep until they get better, because Dean and Torrence are a lost cause. Move on. The DLine isn’t giving any help and so put your battles in the back end. Teach the lbs and SDE that it isn’t a sin to hit a TE at the line of scrimmage. Basic stuff. And DL, stop this squat BS. Period. It isn’t helping anything. More Boone and Summerall, they are your future. Burney can get out and stay out, I don’t care. Shemar and Scooby both need more reps. A true freshman OT just treated Princely like a punk for 4 quarters so get his ass gone too, I don’t care. I need to go take some BP meds, that is all for now.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve reserved much comment on this for a while, but going back and watching film review I see a few things that are left unsaid that make me cringe. Let’s start with the D-line: It’s Cox when he decides not to take a play off and Dexter, who by the middle of the 3rd quarter is at 70% due to the insane snap count. No one is worried about anyone else we trot out there. Especially Watson on 3rd and long between the 20’s. Sheesh. So now only 2 have to truly be accounted for out of 11. Easily done by any competent OC. LBs: Name one thing Burney does better than average. Not a factor, leaving it easy just to stay away from Miller on the run or force him into what he can’t do which is cover. Jury is out on Shemar due to experience. Now its 11 vs 4. Advantage offense. Which leads us to DBs. Talk scheme all you want but Dean is going to suck regardless of task. Not a factor. Torrence takes terrible angles, don’t know if that can be coached out of him. I’m really good with our CB’s and I do wish we played tighter, but if they face an elite WR you are gonna lose a few times a game, it’s a cost of doing business. End of the day we are trotting out 5-6 players that are decent across all levels of our defense.
Every coach worth a damn will tell you to scheme around what you have if you don’t have much. And we don’t.
Leading us to scheme. No sense in trying to disguise much now as we know that not much of what we run is going to matter. What I wish Toney would do in the obvious 3rd and long is play tight man regardless and with the young guys at safety every time for the rest of this year. Let them rep until they get better, because Dean and Torrence are a lost cause. Move on. The DLine isn’t giving any help and so put your battles in the back end. Teach the lbs and SDE that it isn’t a sin to hit a TE at the line of scrimmage. Basic stuff. And DL, stop this squat BS. Period. It isn’t helping anything. More Boone and Summerall, they are your future. Burney can get out and stay out, I don’t care. Shemar and Scooby both need more reps. A true freshman OT just treated Princely like a punk for 4 quarters so get his ass gone too, I don’t care. I need to go take some BP meds, that is all for now.
Excellent synopsis.

Do we have enough depth on OL to move some over to DL? No quality depth there at all. Dexter is going to get hurt playing too many snaps. VM too.

We are who we are on D. 3rd and 8+... man press and bring the house.

It seems like we are playing defense to not lose big. But we aren't a good team. Get the guys experience and set up for next year.

Death by big plays or death by a thousand cuts. Still death.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Burney can provide QB pressure, If you don't like Dez in on 3rd and long then maybe Burney sitting and attacking a gap in a delayed blitz type style. Can't argue with any of the other points. We have to get in their face on 3rd and long...that should be obvious to anyone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Burney can provide QB pressure, If you don't like Dez in on 3rd and long then maybe Burney sitting and attacking a gap in a delayed blitz type style. Can't argue with any of the other points. We have to get in their face on 3rd and long...that should be obvious to anyone.

We lack a great edge guy. We’ve had so many over the years, that we sort of just expect to have one. We don’t. Polite, Zuniga, Joseph and Grenard would all be better than what we have.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with everything but Shemar is playing well for a Freshman. Yes, he needs more reps but that will come. He’s probably our best Backer.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We lack a great edge guy. We’ve had so many over the years, that we sort of just expect to have one. We don’t. Polite, Zuniga, Joseph and Grenard would all be better than what we have.
Dex ;) but of course we need him as a tackle

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
The breakdown I posted was updated July 13th. Doubt you find a site thats more current putting him in rounds 2-3.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
So he's not making the same mistakes as last season. See, Toney's coaching him up.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is there anyone else that is starting to warm up to Toney just to annoy ltraz? I’m getting more pro-Toney by the minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator