Death - got me thinking

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You need to be thinking. Death is the great equalizer; every single one of us will experience it. Whether expected or unexpected, welcome or disdained, the end of this life is going to happen. The question is are you prepared? One day death will come and then what?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
With Buffett and so many other passing on - it got me thinking.
@Gator By Marriage just hit 60 and mine is right around the corner.

This podcast brought up some very interesting points. If you have a few minutes this is worth the listen

https://spotify.link/GhoE42wzfDb

I'll listen to the podcast this afternoon but here's a question:

Would it be "easier" to lose a loved one unexpectedly (with no chance at goodbye) and no suffering
or
a long drawn out illness (weeks, months or a year) so all could be said and done but knowing the inevitable but with suffering?

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
With Buffett and so many other passing on - it got me thinking.
@Gator By Marriage just hit 60 and mine is right around the corner.

This podcast brought up some very interesting points. If you have a few minutes this is worth the listen

https://spotify.link/GhoE42wzfDb
I got about halfway through that podcast. Some good points to be sure, but also a depressing listen. The fact that the host, and I'm assuming the author, are both atheists is very telling. But having said that, if even if I was an atheist I would not want immortality. One of the author's points I agreed with was when she said she wasn't sure if humans were psychologically built for immortality and continued living in perpetuity might drive people insane. I also found interesting that her father, apparently a very religious man, was afraid of dying right up to the end. (Part of her take on that was different than mine, btw.) In my own family, I know my father was totally prepared to die. In our very last conversation before going in for heart surgery, he told me that the surgery "would either kill me or make me feel better; I'm fine either way." And I knew he meant it. He never came out of the anathesia and passed a few weeks later. My mother had already passed and I think he was lonely in a way that couldn't be fixed. He was a very devout man and I'm sure he believed heaven existed and that he would be there. In the case of my FIL, who passed last February (two weeks shy of his 98th birthday!), I believe his only regret in passing was leaving his wife of 70+ years alone. Otherwise, he too was quite prepared.

In the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien explored the concept of the immortality of the elves versus the mortality of men. The elves refer to mortality as a gift from Eru Iluvatar - who is the god figure of Middle Earth - as they have become keenly aware of the drawbacks of living forever. The mortal men of course, are not capable of understanding how exactly it's a gift. The reader on the other hand, totally grasps it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
60 is the new 45 so calm down............especially if you are active.....all Im getting is a wine commercial

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I got about halfway through that podcast. Some good points to be sure, but also a depressing listen. The fact that the host, and I'm assuming the author, are both atheists is very telling. But having said that, if even if I was an atheist I would not want immortality. One of the author's points I agreed with was when she said she wasn't sure if humans were psychologically built for immortality and continued living in perpetuity might drive people insane. I also found interesting that her father, apparently a very religious man, was afraid of dying right up to the end. (Part of her take on that was different than mine, btw.) In my own family, I know my father was totally prepared to die. In our very last conversation before going in for heart surgery, he told me that the surgery "would either kill me or make me feel better; I'm fine either way." And I knew he meant it. He never came out of the anathesia and passed a few weeks later. My mother had already passed and I think he was lonely in a way that couldn't be fixed. He was a very devout man and I'm sure he believed heaven existed and that he would be there. In the case of my FIL, who passed last February (two weeks shy of his 98th birthday!), I believe his only regret in passing was leaving his wife of 70+ years alone. Otherwise, he too was quite prepared.

In the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien explored the concept of the immortality of the elves versus the mortality of men. The elves refer to mortality as a gift from Eru Iluvatar - who is the god figure of Middle Earth - as they have become keenly aware of the drawbacks of living forever. The mortal men of course, are not capable of understanding how exactly it's a gift. The reader on the other hand, totally grasps it.
I too made it 17 minutes in and gave it a shot but couldn’t do it. (However I assumed it was a he and not she.)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

great points...

And like us, the Host is a Gator fan and a Jaguars fan, so he's probably come close to death a few times watching the games.

Glad you got to spend some time with your father before he left. I talked to my Dad on a Saturday and all seemed well - and by Tuesday morning he was gone. Didn't get a chance to say goodbye or some unsaid things... although that's not quite true. I probably had a hundred chances if I'm being honest.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I too made it 17 minutes in and gave it a shot but couldn’t do it. (However I assumed it was a he and not she.)

It got more interesting as it went... and at first I thought it was a she, but then later on, I'm pretty sure it was a dude.
And 'his' father was the head of Union Theological Seminary and a pastor and 'he' ended up being an atheist.

There were some great points later in the podcast about wokeness and how tired they both are of the insane arguments.

Speaking of death... I'm heading over to make my Picks for the week.
Pray for me

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
It got more interesting as it went... and at first I thought it was a she, but then later on, I'm pretty sure it was a dude.
And 'his' father was the head of Union Theological Seminary and a pastor and 'he' ended up being an atheist.

There were some great points later in the podcast about wokeness and how tired they both are of the insane arguments.

Speaking of death... I'm heading over to make my Picks for the week.
Pray for me
Maybe I gave up listening because I don’t understand wanting to be immortal, nor do I think it’s possible. After what we went through over the last 3 years, who would want to live forever?

I know where I’m going when I die and I’m good with it, whenever that may be. Just as long as I go before @Seedy so I don’t have to clean out the house.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Maybe I gave up listening because I don’t understand wanting to be immortal, nor do I think it’s possible. After what we went through over the last 3 years, who would want to live forever?

I know where I’m going when I die and I’m good with it, whenever that may be. Just as long as I go before @Seedy so I don’t have to clean out the house.

That was the consensus of the podcasters at the end... it's more about quality than quantity.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Keep in mind the trophy wife thing. And back on subject. I believe we all live forever, the soul is indestructible. The only question is to what end.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Really? Now I may have to go back and listen again. I have a 40 minute drive coming up. Good a time as any.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
great points...

And like us, the Host is a Gator fan and a Jaguars fan, so he's probably come close to death a few times watching the games.

Glad you got to spend some time with your father before he left. I talked to my Dad on a Saturday and all seemed well - and by Tuesday morning he was gone. Didn't get a chance to say goodbye or some unsaid things... although that's not quite true. I probably had a hundred chances if I'm being honest.
Don’t feel bad. It’s rare when one gets that chance. And besides all I did was listen because I sure as hell didn’t want him to think I thought the surgery would kill him! He was in a coma for about three weeks so we did have more one sided conversations with just me doing the talking of course.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Don’t feel bad. It’s rare when one gets that chance. And besides all I did was listen because I sure as hell didn’t want him to think I thought the surgery would kill him! He was in a coma for about three weeks so we did have more one sided conversations with just me doing the talking of course.
Mom had Lewy Body Dementia and Seedy's dad had ALS.
Both cruel diseases where they couldn't speak but were alert.
We got to say our goodbyes and prepare ahead but they suffered greatly towards the end.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For my mom, I was holding her hand and rubbing her head when she took her last breath. Along side my wife and sister.

For my dad, we hadnt spoken in about 18 months and I get phone call from the police that a neighbor called in for a well check. Sudden heart attack and his body was laying there 9 days before it was found. Exactly 3 years after my mom.

Let's just say both experiences are impactfully tattooed onto my soul. I dont think you ever truly recover. At least never see things the same way you did prior to those events.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
For my mom, I was holding her hand and rubbing her head when she took her last breath. Along side my wife and sister.

For my dad, we hadnt spoken in about 18 months and I get phone call from the police that a neighbor called in for a well check. Sudden heart attack and his body was laying there 9 days before it was found. Exactly 3 years after my mom.

Let's just say both experiences are impactfully tattooed onto my soul. I dont think you ever truly recover. At least never see things the same way you did prior to those events.

Damn - that’s tough.
I was also very close to my father in law. He had a bad stroke but mostly recovered.
The second stroke a couple of years later was catastrophic.
The only thing that could be done was bring him home under Hospice care.
The family gathered and it was an incredibly difficult three days waiting for him to pass.
It was like losing another father.
The odd thing was… his own two sons invited a bunch of people and his passing was almost like a party for them. My wife and I were appalled.

She and I, with the Hospice nurse, prepped his body for transport while the two dipsh!ts partied on the front porch.
Some people just process it differently I guess

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Mom had Lewy Body Dementia and Seedy's dad had ALS.
Both cruel diseases where they couldn't speak but were alert.
We got to say our goodbyes and prepare ahead but they suffered greatly towards the end.

Yuk. Those 2 are easily in my top 5 worst ways to go. Lost 2 good friends to both and that is a horrible way to go.

I want to be shot by a jealous husband while in the throws of passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator