Death - got me thinking

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh good. Let’s round this thing out with putting down a dog stories.
Sure. But before I tell about the one we had to put down a few months ago, give me a week, I've got another one on the way out.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Sure. But before I tell about the one we had to put down a few months ago, give me a week, I've got another one on the way out.
We have two with heart murmurs and go back and forth on which one will go first.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well you ARE in Kentucky so you may as well start taking wagers on that race... :whistle:
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Hey mannn... it's one thing for me to mock Brad about death (it would be wrong not to), but you never cross the dog line! Who are you, Michael Vick?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Our dog is fairly young and quite healthy.

Ya'll are going to make me do something to the neighbors dog just to be in the conversation, aren't you?

j/k, I'd never harm an animal. Except a bulldwag.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Our dog is fairly young and quite healthy.

Ya'll are going to make me do something to the neighbors dog just to be in the conversation, aren't you?

j/k, I'd never harm an animal. Except a bulldwag.

Let’s cheer up this thread a bit

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was 13. Mom had a carotid aneurysm and slipped into a coma and never woke up. Never got to say goodbye, never got to hear her say, "I love you" again. Death sucks, and despite what everyone who meant well told me way back then, the scar never heals. However, I agree with Zambo on this one. Go out and live your lives; tomorrow isn't promised, so thank God you're alive today and do something with it. I've been judged up one end and down the other for not living how a 46 year old man should live, and I wear it like a badge of honor. I hope I never fit society's mold of how to act at any age.

To answer one of the earlier questions, I would give anything to have the chance to say goodbye to mom. I hope when it's my time to go that I have a chance to give my daughters closure.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I was talking to a friend last week whose husband passed at home from cancer during the panic stages of covid. Hospice wouldn’t even come inside and was leaving fentanyl in his mailbox for him. It’s criminal how people were treated during this time.

With Seedy’s mom we all agreed to not send her to the hospital (also during covid) because we didn’t want her to pass alone.
Friends of ours could not get into the hospice facility to see their dad in his final days. This brings it home.

Public health policy has become a social experiment...and they can all go right straight to hell.
1695410771741.png
This says it all. The shadows, the gaunt face of death, the grief, the masked dancing fools....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yuk. Those 2 are easily in my top 5 worst ways to go. Lost 2 good friends to both and that is a horrible way to go.

I want to be shot by a jealous husband while in the throes of passion.
Though not by Mayor Pete I’m hoping

:lol:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Death normally gets folks to stop thinking.

Gotta keep going to collect more social security

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Charlie Chaplin died aged 88.
He left us 4 statements:
(1) Nothing is eternal in this world, not even our problems.
(2) I like to walk in the rain, because no one can see my tears.
(3) The most wasted day in life is the day we don't laugh.
(4) The six best doctors in the world...
1. sunshine,
2. Rest,
3. Exercise,
4. diet,
5. Self-esteem
6. friends.
Keep them in all stages of your life and enjoy healthy life...
If you see the moon you will see the beauty of God.....
If you see the sun you will see the power of god..
If you look in the mirror, you will see God's best creation.
Believe it then.
We are all tourists, God is our travel agent who already made our itineraries, bookings and destinations...
Trust him and enjoy LIFE.
Life is just a journey!
Live today!!!!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Little something to ponder about death.

Eating healthy and exercising means you'll die healthier.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
and probably live a healthier life instead of going to the doctor all the time..........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Calvin and Hobbes Lovers ·​

Join​

Rachid El Hadadi · ·
'
"Calvin? Calvin, sweetheart?"
In the darkness Calvin heard the sound of Susie, his wife of fifty-three years. Calvin struggled to open his eyes. God, he was so tired and it took so much strength. Slowly, light replaced the darkness, and soon vision followed. At the foot of his bed stood his wife. Calvin wet his dry lips and spoke hoarsely, "Did... did you.... find him?"
"Yes dear," Susie said smiling sadly, "He was in the attic."
Susie reached into her big purse and brought out a soft, old, orange tiger doll. Calvin could not help but laugh. It had been so long. Too long.
"I washed him for you," Susie said, her voice cracking a little as she laid the stuffed tiger next to her husband.
"Thank you, Susie." Calvin said.
A few moments passed as Calvin just laid on his hospital bed, his head turned to the side, staring at the old toy with nostalgia.
"Dear," Calvin said finally. "Would you mind leaving me alone with Hobbes for a while? I would like to catch up with him."
"All right," Susie said. "I'll get something to eat in the cafeteria. I'll be back soon."
Susie kissed her huband on the forehead and turned to leave. With sudden but gentle strength Calvin stopped her. Lovingly he pulled his wife in and gave her a passionate kiss on the lips. "I love you," he said.
"And I love you," said Susie.
Susie turned and left. Calvin saw tears streaming from her face as she went out the door.
Calvin then turned to face his oldest and dearest friend. "Hello Hobbes. It's been a long time hasn't it old pal?"
Hobbes was no longer a stuffed doll but the big furry old tiger Calvin had always remembered. "It sure has, Calvin." said Hobbes.
"You... haven't changed a bit." Calvin smiled.
"You've changed a lot." Hobbes said sadly.
Calvin laughed, "Really? I haven't noticed at all."
There was a long pause. The sound of a clock ticking away the seconds rang throughout the sterile hospital room.
"So... you married Susie Derkins." Hobbes said, finally smiling. "I knew you always like her."
"Shut up!" Calvin said, his smile bigger than ever.
"Tell me everything I missed. I'd love to hear what you've been up to!" Hobbes said, excited.
And so Calvin told him everything. He told him about how he and Susie fell in love in high school and had married after graduating from college, about his three kids and four grandkids, how he turned Spaceman Spiff into one of the most popular sci-fi novels of the decade, and so on. After he told Hobbes all this there was another pregnant pause.
"You know... I visited you in the attic a bunch of times." Calvin said.
"I know."
"But I couldn't see you. All I saw was a stuffed animal." Calvin voice was breaking and tears of regret started welling up in his eyes.
"You grew up old buddy." said Hobbes.
Calvin broke down and sobbed, hugging his best friend. "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry I broke my promise! I promised I wouldn't grow up and that we'd be together forever!!"
Hobbes stroke the Calvin's hair, or what little was left of it. "But you didn't."
"What do you mean?"
"We were always together... in our dreams."
"We were?"
"We were."
"Hobbes?"
"Yeah, old buddy?"
"I'm so glad I got to see you like this... one last time..."
"Me too, Calvin. Me too."
"Sweetheart?" Susie voice came from outside the door.
"Yes dear?" Calvin replied.
"Can I come in?" Susie asked.
"Just a minute."
Calvin turned to face Hobbes one last time. "Goodbye Hobbes. Thanks... for everything..."
"No, thank you Calvin." Hobbes said.
Calvin turned back to the door and said, "You can come in now."
Susie came in and said, "Look who's come to visit you."
Calvin's children and grandchildren followed Susie into Calvin's room. The youngest grandchild ran past the rest of them and hugged Calvin in a hard, excited hug. "Grandpa!!" screamed the child in delight.
"Francis!" cried Calvin's daughter, "Be gentle with your grandfather."
Calvin's daughter turned to her dad. "I'm sorry, Daddy. Francis never seems to behave these days. He just runs around making a mess and coming up with strange stories."
Calvin laughed and said, "Well now! That sound just like me when I was his age."
Calvin and his family chatted some more until a nurse said, "Sorry, but visiting hours are almost up."
Calvin's beloved family said good bye and promised to visit tommorrow. As they turned to leave Calvin said, "Francis. Come here for a second."
Francis came over to his grandfather's side, "What is it Gramps?"
Calvin reached over to the stuffed tiger on his bedside and and held him out shakily to his grandson, who looked exactly as he did so many years ago. "This is Hobbes. He was my best friend when I was your age. I want you to have him."
"He's just a stuffed tiger." Francis said, eyebrows raised.
Calvin laughed, "Well, let me tell you a secret."
Francis leaned closer to Clavin. Calvin whispered, "If you catch him in a tiger trap using a tuna sandwich as bait he will turn into a real tiger."
Francis gasped in delighted awe. Calvin continued, "Not only that he will be your best friend forever."
"Wow! Thanks grandpa!" Francis said, hugging his grandpa tightly again.
"Francis! We need to go now!" Calvin's daughter called.
"Okay!" Francis shouted back.
"Take good care of him." Calvin said.
"I will." Francis said before running off after the rest of the family.
Calvin laid on his back and stared at the ceiling. The time to go was close. He could feel it in his soul. Calvin tried to remember a quote he read in a book once. It said something about death being the next great adventure or something like that. He eyelids grew heavy and his breathing slowed. As he went deeper into his final sleep he heard Hobbes, as if he was right next to him at his bedside. "I'll take care of him, Calvin..."
Calvin took his first step toward one more adventure and breathed his last with a grin on his face.

download (9).jpeg

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The moment when you know you're old. When you get a new puppy and have to figure out who takes him if/when you go first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator