Del Rio back vs Vandy?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I know most people probably are past the point of caring right now, but saw this as interesting. Scott Hanson is the NFL Red Zone guy who LDR has become friends with (no clue how), and LDR tweeted the below:

Could be nothing, could be a subtle hint he is back. Discuss.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to imagine applebee won't start

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think if he is ready to go Mac will start LDR but I am curious to see how this Vandy game goes with him. Vandy doesnt have some top notch SEC defense but they arent North Texas either and will be a better test for him.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Appleby is better.
Del Rio's only leg up on Appleby at this point is his knowledge of the playbook and the system.

Physically speaking, Appleby seems like the guy between the two of them.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason to start Del Rio against Vandy. Appleby played very good and will only get better. Let Del Rio get 100% healthy then lets figure out who really should be starting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Word from the Mac and Nuss is that he could probably go if needed. They're just not sure if he'll be able to hold up for the grind of a full 30 minute game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Appleby is better.

I agree. LDR has been pedestrian at best. Appleby made one error in that game, and at that point the game was lost. I'd like to see him get one more start and see how he looks. If it's more of the same (as the UT game) he should hold onto the job.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure i want him to...Appleby looked solid minus that one bone head int...and the awful game plan in the 2nd half

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with Appleby is that he panics early and tries to find a way out the second the pocket starts collapsing, much like Driskell did, usually leading to a sack or bad throw. LDR stays in the pocket, doesn't panic and delivers the ball quickly or throws it away quickly. With our o-line and their history of poor pass blocking (last year's record sack numbers, for instance), I would rather go the LDR route.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The problem with Appleby is that he panics early and tries to find a way out the second the pocket starts collapsing much like Driskell did, usually leading to a sack or bad throw. LDR stays in the pocket, doesn't panic and delivers the ball quickly or throws it away quickly. With our o-line and their history of poor pass blocking (last year's record sack numbers, for instance), I would rather go the LDR route.

AA is more physical than LDR and can make plays with his feet but when he had the chance to run for 30 yards he threw into coverage. LDR does seem to be the calmer choice but he too makes some questionable throws.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The problem with Appleby is that he panics early and tries to find a way out the second the pocket starts collapsing, much like Driskell did, usually leading to a sack or bad throw. LDR stays in the pocket, doesn't panic and delivers the ball quickly or throws it away quickly. With our o-line and their history of poor pass blocking (last year's record sack numbers, for instance), I would rather go the LDR route.

To be fair, we're yet to see how LDR plays against a real defense. He didn't impress anyone with his 180 yard, 0 TDs, 1 INT performance in 3 quarters vs. North Texas.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, we're yet to see how LDR plays against a real defense. He didn't impress anyone with his 180 yard, 0 TDs, 1 INT performance in 3 quarters vs. North Texas.
True, but we have a year's worth of tape to see how Appleby performed under pressure.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
True, but we have a year's worth of tape to see how Appleby performed under pressure.
You mean at Purdue, when he is basically playing with our 2s the whole game?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

So dink and dunk and sack taking machine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator