Del Rio back vs Vandy?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Both are good. Neither is great. No need to rush LDR back. AA starts and the freshmen get their first look if we can get a serviceable lead.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You mean at Purdue, when he is basically playing with our 2s the whole game?
Judging by the last few years, I don't see our offensive line as being much better than Purdue's.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
True, but we have a year's worth of tape to see how Appleby performed under pressure.

When he threw that INT my wife asked why he did that. I replied "That's what he does. He has a career of forcing the wrong pass." He operated fine under less stress in the first half, but second half I wonder how much of the run-run-run was because the coaches didn't want to put it in his hands to try and win.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
AA looked lost in the second half. Was it from the play calling or the play for the OL I don't know. I just think LDR is more calm and would've made better decisions that second half. Plus AA threw a lot of balls high that shows he is trying to force the throws.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
AA looked lost in the second half. Was it from the play calling or the play for the OL I don't know. I just think LDR is more calm and would've made better decision making that second half. Plus AA threw a lot of balls high that shows he is trying to force the throws.

The better decision things makes me laugh...

Are we all ignoring the numerous times he has thrown into double and triple coverage against NT and UMASS

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
All I can say is look at the tape. You will see how high AA's throws were and the deer in the headlight look he had that second half. Like I said it could've been the play calling or the OL, but he wasn't looking that good the second half.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
All I can say is look at the tape. You will see how high AA's throws were and the deer in the headlight look he had that second half. Like I said it could've been the play calling or the OL, but he wasn't looking that good the second half.

Hard to objectively say that considering we threw the ball only three times in the 3rd quarter. In the 4th we had to and their defense pinned their ears back.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
AA was running around scared. He didn't want to throw the ball it looked like. I still think a lot of that had to do with the Fifty-Eleven dive pays that were called, but still didn't see anything out of AA that makes me think he is our starter going forward. LDR isn't much better, but IMHO he is a little better.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Hard to judge his performance on the 2nd half after he was put in a no-win situation by his coaches....and his O-line.

His first half was better than even Del Rio's game was vs. Kentucky. He played w/ poise and confidence and he has crap field position to boot. I know it's 1 game vs. 2.75 games for Del Rio...but I find it hard for anyone to think Del Rio has looked any better. Only a Muschamp led team could make a QB not look good vs. UK's defense. Appleby went on the road in front of 102K fans. Del Rio played 3 games in Gainesville. He's mediocre/pedestrian at best.

I hope we see AA this week and they roll Vandy, with or without him having a "great" game...simply because UF should ALWAYS roll the Vandy's of the world. I've come to realize we are no longer an elite program, but we are a top 25-30 type program....and Vandy isn't. So, I'd love to see what AA can do w/ one more ROAD start....then let him start against LSU in Gainseville.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone really tell me what LDR brings to the table?
I already did. He might not have the strongest arm, but he's pretty accurate and he doesn't panic, which for a QB usually ends in disaster. And from what I've seen from him he does have a very good understanding of the offense and knows where everyone should be.

Neither of them are game changers but I'll go with the one who won't make mistakes as often. With this team we can't afford it.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I already did. He might not have the strongest arm, but he's pretty accurate and he doesn't panic, which for a QB usually ends in disaster. And from what I've seen from him he does have a very good understanding of the offense and knows where everyone should be.

Neither of them are game changers but I'll go with the one who won't make mistakes as often. With this team we can't afford it.

He knows the offense that's about it...

The guy threw into double and triple coverage against UMASS and NT. Against Tennessee or better teams that's a turnover. Hell he had a TO against NT.

I'm not saying he's worse than Treon but there is absolutely nothing I see out of Del Rio that makes me think he should be starting over a guy who might make a mistake or two but can get the ball downfield to receivers.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The guy threw into double and triple coverage against UMASS and NT. Against Tennessee or better teams that's a turnover. Hell he had a TO against NT.

I'm not saying he's worse than Treon but there is absolutely nothing I see out of Del Rio that makes me think he should be starting over a guy who might make a mistake or two but can get the ball downfield to receivers.
Well, I guess it remains to be seen.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014

^ This!

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014

LDR is ahead of AA right now because of his time in the system. To me that is huge. He knows where his check downs are. Yes he made a couple of bad decisions, but they didn't cost him as much as the INT that AA threw. Lets be honest. That INT was the nail in our coffin.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
LDR is ahead of AA right now because of his time in the system. To me that is huge. He knows where his check downs are. Yes he made a couple of bad decisions, but they didn't cost him as much as the INT that AA threw. Lets be honest. That INT was the nail in our coffin.

Hate to burst that bubble but that INT was far from the nail in the coffin; the 38 unanswered points and turtle playcalling in the 3rd did it; not AA. Give me a guy who can make plays any day of a guy whose best throw is a 5 yard route.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Hate to burst that bubble but that INT was far from the nail in the coffin; the 38 unanswered points and turtle playcalling in the 3rd did it; not AA. Give me a guy who can make plays any day of a guy whose best throw is a 5 yard route.
So you agree that we should start LDR over AA when he is healthy since the second half AA didn't throw a ball further than 5 yards other than that INT until the game was almost out of reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator