Del Rio goes on twitter rant (again)...

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Unfair it that amateurism only applies to the student athletes and not the coaches and AD's. Unfair in that a player is unable to profit off his own likeness or outside talents due to NCAA rules that bar him from signing his own endorsement deals or selling his own autographed memorabilia while a jersey that bares his Number cost $79.99 in the gift shop. Education, room and board can be PART of the compensation package but at this point the value of the work is objectively worth far more than the sheep skin

This is long, but there is no way to adequately say it in two sentences. I wrote this a while back so the numbers are old, but the point remains the same.

Dr. Cade rightfully receives credit for inventing Gatorade. However, he was assisted in his daily work by numerous unpaid student researchers and assistants. This collective work led to the knowledge and understanding of the various elements that led to the eventual creation of Gatorade.

This is a time honored way of doing things. In the distant past, a family would pay a professional to teach their child a skill. In return for an apprenticeship fee, the professional would house, feed, allow the use of his tools and workspace and teach the craft to the apprentice. The apprentice was not paid even though the professional profited from the work of the apprentice. This arrangement was part of the compensation package expected by the professional as incentive to pass the skill along to an otherwise unknown person.

As the population of the world and the various skills in demand grew, we developed universities where this process could happen on a larger scale. The schools provide facilities and equipment that few if any individuals could afford to own on their own. The schools also provide highly skilled, educated and credentialed professionals to teach the skills needed for each specialty. The better the facilities and equipment and the more highly regarded the professionals the more the school can charge for tuition. The additional funds allow the school to maintain and improve the facilities and equipment and also to hire additional and more highly regarded professionals.

Many professions maintain an apprenticeship period to this day. If you are going to become a teacher you are required to serve unpaid internships at area public schools. The intern spends the day teaching the students while the paid teacher observes and provides support and guidance. The long hours required of the unpaid internships of those in the medical field are legendary. The apprenticeship is one way that we can ensure that our future professionals are prepared and possess as much of the accumulated institutional knowledge as possible.

The combined force of years of students accumulating data, research, testing, advancing theories and progressing specialized knowledge results in many commercially viable products and patents. Since the university provided the facilities, equipment and skilled teaching professionals that led to these discoveries through the process of education or apprenticeship then the university legally owns the patents and products. Legal rulings sometimes compensate the teaching professionals, but never compensate the students whose combined work was largely responsible for the patent or product.

UF is one of the leading schools in the country in licensing and royalty income. The UF office of technology and licensing reported that between 2010 and 2012 the university collected nearly $92 million in licensing revenue from spinoff companies. Gatorade, Trusopt and Sentricon are the most famous of the products that provide this stream of revenue, but there are hundreds of others. In addition, there are many new products and spinoffs coming every year that will increase this revenue stream. However, the real money comes from funding for research. Research grants are often written and won by student researchers. The actual work done to meet the requirements of the grant is often completed to a large degree by the student researchers. The knowledge, expertise and required skill sets have come to exist at the university due in large part to the accumulation of generations of student researchers and assistants. Research awards at UF have steadily risen over the decades to last years record $619 million which places UF among the nation's leading institutions.

In comparison, according to the UAA financial statements for fiscal year ending on June 30, 2013, UF athletics had total revenue of $130 million. This is the total of all sources of athletic department revenue including licensing from clothing and other products, television money, ticket receipts and conference payouts. It also includes donations from athletics boosters. That is right, the combined earning power of all of UF's unpaid athletic apprenticeships brought in roughly 18% of the revenues that UF's other unpaid apprenticeships returned. This is not counting the contribution of actual work hours provided by medical, law, education and other students working for free in their chosen field. This total is also skewed by the fact that the athletic revenue includes over $11 million in donations made by athletic boosters in 2013, but I have chosen not to include the $215 million donated as part of the UF Preeminance fund raising campaign in fiscal year 2013 - 2014 alone as part of the non-athletic revenue.

Athletes are serving an unpaid apprenticeship in which they are provided with use of the facilities, equipment and highly skilled and experienced professionals teaching them the skill set needed to pursue employment in their chosen field. They do generate revenue for the University. However, the revenue they generate is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue generated by the non-athletes in the student population.

I think the apprenticeship system, or just education as we now refer to it, is a proven system that ensures that future students will have at their disposal the increasingly expensive facilities, equipment and training that they need to help maintain a continual progression forward.

I do not think it is necessary or wise to provide substantially more financial compensation to college athletes above and beyond what they currently receive. Those who think college athletes deserve additional compensation are simply not looking at the big picture.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unfair it that amateurism only applies to the student athletes and not the coaches and AD's. Unfair in that a player is unable to profit off his own likeness or outside talents due to NCAA rules that bar him from signing his own endorsement deals or selling his own autographed memorabilia while a jersey that bares his Number cost $79.99 in the gift shop. Education, room and board can be PART of the compensation package but at this point the value of the work is objectively worth far more than the sheep skin

Do you think North Texas should pay it's woman's basketball players? How about the mens golf team at Idaho? Or do you think these programs should fold up shop and not offer sports unless they can afford to pay ALL the players? Maybe any athletic program that can't afford to pay their players go D3? I don't think people understand that literally only a handful of athletic programs make money....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Great post. Too many people act like everyone becomes a professional. Less than 1%. Everyone else is getting a degree and joining the general population with the skills and knowledge necessary to go out a make a nice life for yourself. I also believe that college football's audience is largely based off of school affiliation and the love for the game. Folks who watch CFB watch to watch and not necessarily tune in for a Tom Brady. Hell, I'll watch a Thursday night game between Wake and NCST.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
2222 that is a great post but ill give one counter to that point that is fortunately very brief. Why cant any athletes make any money from their own endorsements outside of the the university? None of the apprenticeship that you mentioned actually bar from some one from earning money elsewhere while still earning whatever the market allows for.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why cant any athletes make any money from their own endorsements outside of the the university? None of the apprenticeship that you mentioned actually bar from some one from earning money elsewhere while still earning whatever the market allows for.
Legally, this is the most tenuous position for the NCAA. Obviously, the NCAA doesn't want boosters paying players, or using methods to circumvent that ban like paying them too much for a job, paying them for not working at all, paying family members, etc. Collecting endorsements or just selling autographs could be easily abused. That being said, they have mechanisms to investigate whether or not a player is getting a reasonable amount from a job etc which could be applied to endorsements also.

Athletes aren't employees. That much is clear. But the endorsement thing could be the part that loses in court IMO.

BTW, I'm fine if the whole NCAA goes away. It's like the UN. Just another way for the 500 or 5000 midgets (no offense, URG) to tell the superpowers else what to do.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
2222 that is a great post but ill give one counter to that point that is fortunately very brief. Why cant any athletes make any money from their own endorsements outside of the the university? None of the apprenticeship that you mentioned actually bar from some one from earning money elsewhere while still earning whatever the market allows for.

The NCAA is composed of the member schools. The schools draft, nominate and vote on the rules. The member schools attempt to enact rules that will provide a level playing field. Obviously, it is impossible to create a perfectly even playing field, but the rules are a collective attempt to make the competitive environment as even as possible.

If student athletes were allowed to profit from their image, likeness or endorsement it would create a huge advantage for the big schools. It would become a system for allowing boosters to pay athletes. Saban could tell 5 star atheletes that he could guarantee 100,000 jerseys sold the day they sign and have a single booster buy the jerseys. It would be a round about way of paying college football players. There are a handful of schools that could outbid all the others.

Every member school in the NCAA gets a vote. Maryland would never vote to allow Ohio State to pay their players while Maryland could not afford to match them.

NCAA athletes are serving an unpaid internship and have to abide by the rules if they CHOOSE to participate and receive the priceless training that enables them to seek employment in the NFL.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
The NCAA is composed of the member schools. The schools draft, nominate and vote on the rules. The member schools attempt to enact rules that will provide a level playing field. Obviously, it is impossible to create a perfectly even playing field, but the rules are a collective attempt to make the competitive environment as even as possible.

If student athletes were allowed to profit from their image, likeness or endorsement it would create a huge advantage for the big schools. It would become a system for allowing boosters to pay athletes. Saban could tell 5 star atheletes that he could guarantee 100,000 jerseys sold the day they sign and have a single booster buy the jerseys. It would be a round about way of paying college football players. There are a handful of schools that could outbid all the others.

Every member school in the NCAA gets a vote. Maryland would never vote to allow Ohio State to pay their players while Maryland could not afford to match them.

NCAA athletes are serving an unpaid internship and have to abide by the rules if they CHOOSE to participate and receive the priceless training that enables them to seek employment in the NFL.
The fairness argument is the worst one you could make. Know why? Because the big schools ALREADY ENJOY THE ADVANTAGES. Larger recruitment budgets, facilities and exposure creates an maintains the imbalance. The NCAA exist as it is to keep power and money with whom it already exist. Even the idea of an internship doesn't really apply here because the "interns" are the actual product. They aren't contributing to the product of college football, they ARE the product of college football. In terms of fairness, the NCAA could place a limit on coaches earnings right? That way a small school could afford a high level coach to keep up with the big boys. But fairness is not what the NCAA is about at all.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The fairness argument is the worst one you could make. Know why? Because the big schools ALREADY ENJOY THE ADVANTAGES. Larger recruitment budgets, facilities and exposure creates an maintains the imbalance. The NCAA exist as it is to keep power and money with whom it already exist. Even the idea of an internship doesn't really apply here because the "interns" are the actual product. They aren't contributing to the product of college football, they ARE the product of college football. In terms of fairness, the NCAA could place a limit on coaches earnings right? That way a small school could afford a high level coach to keep up with the big boys. But fairness is not what the NCAA is about at all.

As I said, nothing is perfect, but the rules are the best attempt at creating an even playing field.

The players are serving an internship in which they are being trained for the NFL. It's no different than interns teaching at schools or treating patients at a hospital.

In my opinion the NCAA could not legally tell Universities how much they can pay employees. It would not hold up in court.

The NCAA is not a big corporation. The NCAA is the member schools.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
As I said, nothing is perfect, but the rules are the best attempt at creating an even playing field.

The players are serving an internship in which they are being trained for the NFL. It's no different than interns teaching at schools or treating patients at a hospital.

In my opinion the NCAA could not legally tell Universities how much they can pay employees. It would not hold up in court.

The NCAA is not a big corporation. The NCAA is the member schools.
Just how they shouldn't be able to restrict the ability for athletes to make money away from the field.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Legally, this is the most tenuous position for the NCAA. Obviously, the NCAA doesn't want boosters paying players, or using methods to circumvent that ban like paying them too much for a job, paying them for not working at all, paying family members, etc. Collecting endorsements or just selling autographs could be easily abused. That being said, they have mechanisms to investigate whether or not a player is getting a reasonable amount from a job etc which could be applied to endorsements also.

Athletes aren't employees. That much is clear. But the endorsement thing could be the part that loses in court IMO.

BTW, I'm fine if the whole NCAA goes away. It's like the UN. Just another way for the 500 or 5000 midgets (no offense, URG) to tell the superpowers else what to do.
none taken...I never take cock suckers seriously ;)

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

None of those things are "unfair" students know about them before they agree.

So you want employees like coaches and AD's to be amateurs?

I somewhat agree with the likeness and I think that this is in the courts. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ed-in-ea-sports-games-to-share-60m-settlement

I seem to remember a player working at Publix. And in addition http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

Not all of these are actually ways to get cash, but the Pell Grant and work are.

Now it is not "his" number unless his name is on it, it belongs to the school.

How much is the coaching, physical development, and exposure worth.

So I pay football players 500K per year in addition to his schooling, I charge him 600K for coaching etc.

Bottom line for me is if you don't like a contract you don't sign it. You might have an arguement that I would accept if you insisted that they have a monopoly, but there is Canada and other football leagues if you are good enough out of HS.

How about major HS players it is not fair to them either.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If they want to get paid, then no one is forcing them to go play football in college. They can try out for a pro team, get a job at McDonalds or whatever else they CHOOSE to do. If they want to play for a university while under scholarship for their athletic abilities then they have rules to abide by. Folks act like these kids are being forced into slavery and it's laughable. Our entire society seems based on entitlement these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Folks act like these kids are being forced into slavery and it's laughable. Our entire society seems based on entitlement these days.
The irony is that if they were treated as employees at least some of these 100,000s worth of free tuition, room, board, books, food, medical care etc would be taxable.

Imagine your average softball player or whatever having to pay tax on that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The irony is that if they were treated as employees at least some of these 100,000s worth of free tuition, room, board, books, food, medical care etc would be taxable.

Imagine your average softball player or whatever having to pay tax on that.
It's such an unfair system, they should be given all the revenue (not profits) for the sport they play in and the university should foot the bill for all the expenses related to those sports. I mean, we'd go watch these kids play ball anywhere, right? They don't need the Swamp to play in.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, pay'em. Then they can take their dirty uniforms "home" wash, dry, and iron them for the next day. Walgreens has great Wednesday sales on medical tape.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The system is still in place because no one has created a viable alternative. If I were in the agent biz, I'd work with the CFL to get these kids to play up north for 3 years and get paid. It's a viable alternative, but no one seems to take that route. There is some amount of intangible value given to playing in college football. Kids can bitch and moan but they are not taking other routes.

I will say this, if a player isn't allowed to make money on his likeness, then neither should the University or anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator