Dennis Dodd thinks Mac may leave UF

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Earlier in the year, one of the the guys on gators breakdown started a thread on TOS about how we're gonna make mac quit.
Mac's name came up for the Oregon job. He posted a picture of him and his family in Nebraska hats. Now this the 2nd rumor that we've heard about him wanting out.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
He’s not gonna give up that salary voluntarily.

He's already made enough here to be set for life. As the saying goes, "you can't take it with you", and he seems laid back enough to follow that mantra.

If he quits, and we don't owe him severance, would be a better blessing than any 5* QB.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Like he's some kind of actually desired commodity? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Hopefully they understand that he'll likely have to take a WAC type job again

If you are the AD at Oregon State, you need someone your fan base can rally behind. You can sell McElwain as:

1. A coach who has won two SEC east titles.

2. A coach who a big shot in the SEC had and was not about to fire.

3. A guy from the west coach.

4. A guy with NFL and major college experience

5. A guy with major college head coaching experience

That is not an insignificant lists of traits you can sell. Sure there are negatives we know well, but the Oregon State fans won't know them until maybe next year if they hire him.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Its all California Dreamin' here. Mac's not walking on millions and a top class coming in unless someone else pony's up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still trying to make sense of Stricklin's decision to extend Mac a year. Don't ADs who come in after the fact normally take a more measured approach? Stricklin didn't hire him.

Then what made him enamored of Mac? Was it the SEC East title? The huge bowl win? Or that Stricklin's baseline is Mississippi State?

BTW, why do we have an AD from Starkville?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still trying to make sense of Stricklin's decision to extend Mac a year. Don't ADs who come in after the fact normally take a more measured approach? Stricklin didn't hire him.

Then what made him enamored of Mac? Was it the SEC East title? The huge bowl win? Or that Stricklin's baseline is Mississippi State?

BTW, why do we have an AD from Starkville?
I think it’s pretty common to have HCs on at least 4 year contracts for recruiting purposes. It’s insane how much it costs to hire/fire a coach these days,

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it’s pretty common to have HCs on at least 4 year contracts for recruiting purposes. It’s insane how much it costs to hire/fire a coach these days,

But wouldn't you have wanted to wait at least three seasons before getting out the pen? Strikes me as premature ejac. And from, of all people, a new AD.

Dunno. The longer I'm around, the less I know.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You know, one could almost bait me into the recruits are coming, the recruits are coming, don't change up now... if it wasn't for witnessing what this staff has done with the play makers he does have right now. Not too impressive as a figure head. Mac doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to be the best amongst his fellow coaches. I don't know how we would expect him to teach and show by attitude the best at your craft and camaraderie in shaping men. It's as concerning as any other dart thrown at the wall of who is this guy.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. We would not play any worse if there was no coaching staff and the players drew up plays in the dirt.

I mean...that's some funny stuff right there. Elsewhere your post would be deleted and you'd be banned.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'm sure he hears all the noise in the system. I can't imagine McElwain making a weak attempt at ignoring rumblings the same way Muschamp acted like he didn't hear a crowded stadium calling for his head the night of the Mizzou game.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But wouldn't you have wanted to wait at least three seasons before getting out the pen? Strikes me as premature ejac. And from, of all people, a new AD.

Dunno. The longer I'm around, the less I know.
I think you’re missing my point. They keep them under contract for 4 years out at all times to avoid the negative recruiting. I don’t agree with the premise, but it appears to be standard practice these days.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I'll avoid being defensive over Dodd referring to Mac as "offensive-minded."

My guess is Mac has several million reasons why he should hang in and let UF be the one to send him packing.
Not to worry, guys. Bucky isn't going anywhere. He has the Administration convinced that he knows
what he's doing because he won the SECe the last 2 years. Couple that with the $12.5 million buyout price tag and the fact that nobody else would have him and we can look forward to watching Butters flash those pearly yellows on the sidelines for several more years at least.

00g0g_9wp8F2FwdDz_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have no idea whether Butters wants to go or not, but of course I would love to see him leave. So I think the following items are not quite etched in stone.

1. True he is still owed a lot of money but if another Power 5 school offered, even if it is a bottom feeder like Ore. St. starting salary would be minimum 3.5M. so the money is not that different for someone so unhappy.

2. The thought Butters would not leave b/c good class coming in. who knows if it is going to be a good class. Ship is sinking, recruits may jump to a lifeboat. One never knows.

3. Someone mentioned earlier that Butters does not seem like a roll up your sleeves and grind it person. How often has he referred to the critics in a demeaning way? i would say a lot and he does so in a fashion that says" I know everything and you know nothing". Well he clearly listens, b/c he has gotten defensive when facts are presented to him in regards to his awful game/clock management. He does not like being proven that he is a total nitwit!

4. Lastly, as someone also mentioned, where there is smoke, there has to be at least a small fire. I think there is a fire out there, b/c too many media types have gotten onto the story. As far as I am concerned a good number of us right here on Gatorchatter were the first severe critics of Butters very early on, and the masses have now followed. Thanx for giving us the chance OX!!!!!!

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
You guys got it all wrong. Mac isn't concerned about his coaching gig here or his next coaching gig in Big Sky country. He's got bigger plans than that. He's looking to the future. He see the big picture and coaching is just a distraction from the real goal.

AR-170918831.jpg

He's all BBQ baby. He and Blondie are thinking Sam's Club, Publix, QVC, EVINE, they're going big time. To hell with football.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
According to TOS Mac's buyout is only 3 if he walks but 12 of we fire him. So he's not too expensive.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
According to TOS Mac's buyout is only 3 if he walks but 12 of we fire him. So he's not too expensive.

Just like a car, sometimes you have to spend money now to save money in the future. In this case with Butters, spend money now to MAKE money in the future. There were plenty of empty seats in our only night game this season which was against an ok opponent. And come to think of it, there was a good number of empty seats on homecoming as well, against an LSU team which a lot was made of given last year, even though they were not a particularly good team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.