Do the results on offense for our first game really matter?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Take a look at our past offensive performances in the first game of the season for the past 5 years . . .

2015 - 61pts vs NMSU. 222 rushing, 384 passing
2014 - 65 pts vs EMU. 259 rushing, 396 passing
2013 - 24 pts vs Toledo. 262 rushing, 153 passing
2012 - 27 pts vs Bowling Green. 220 rushing, 145 passing
2011 - 41 pts vs FAU. 197 rushing, 271 passing

The start for the last 2 years have been especially good, and each game gave fans hope about a successful offensive performance throughout the season. But as all Gator fans have learned, how we play offense in our first game does not predict our future performance.
So I guess the point of this thread is to caution Gator fans to proclaiming our offensive problem as solved if we do great in our first game. Take what we do in our first game with a giant grain of salt.
I will also consider the other side of the equation, which is full out panic if we barely crack 300 yards of offense and 30 points against an inferior UMass team.

* However, if Del Rio passes for 350 yards versus Tenn and Conkrite rushes for 200 yards, then we can declare ourselves an offensive juggernaut ;)

Name and town if you wish to opine . . .

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the first few games I'm just getting the numbers and the names matched up in my head... the W and not much extrapolation :)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that our struggling to score even against terrible teams in 2012 and 2013 certainly foreshadowed the disastrout offense that was to come. It's equally obvious that blowing out terrible teams in 2014 and 2015 didn't mean much later.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that our struggling to score even against terrible teams in 2012 and 2013 certainly foreshadowed the disastrout offense that was to come. It's equally obvious that blowing out terrible teams in 2014 and 2015 didn't mean much later.
Yep. Crapping the bed vs a cupcake is a sign of impending doom. Blowing out a cupcake doesn't mean squat.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Take a look at our past offensive performances in the first game of the season for the past 5 years . . .

2015 - 61pts vs NMSU. 222 rushing, 384 passing
2014 - 65 pts vs EMU. 259 rushing, 396 passing
2013 - 24 pts vs Toledo. 262 rushing, 153 passing
2012 - 27 pts vs Bowling Green. 220 rushing, 145 passing
2011 - 41 pts vs FAU. 197 rushing, 271 passing

The start for the last 2 years have been especially good, and each game gave fans hope about a successful offensive performance throughout the season. But as all Gator fans have learned, how we play offense in our first game does not predict our future performance.
So I guess the point of this thread is to caution Gator fans to proclaiming our offensive problem as solved if we do great in our first game. Take what we do in our first game with a giant grain of salt.
I will also consider the other side of the equation, which is full out panic if we barely crack 300 yards of offense and 30 points against an inferior UMass team.

* However, if Del Rio passes for 350 yards versus Tenn and Conkrite rushes for 200 yards, then we can declare ourselves an offensive juggernaut ;)

Name and town if you wish to opine . . .

Yes, I actually did a bit of a study of this multiple years back. I found a team that was sloppy and turned the ball over in the opener one average were worse in those traits during the year compared to teams that were not sloppy and did not turn the ball over.

It was not the stats so much as how the team plays. But in those days UF had good offenses and so they always piled up stats on lesser completion. Still this has always made me think there are things to learn from the games against lower level competition.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We'll score 60+ on UMASS and you'll read on here how things have changed. We won't know much until Tenn.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, great execution on offense never means squat.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
This only matters if we look like we did against Bowling Green...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
One observation I've made over the years is the performance of the WR's. If they are dropping the ball in game 1 they will be dropping the ball in game 11. Conversely if they are making circus catches in game one you can expect that throughout the season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hell yeah they matter. I want to see fireworks on offense. Yes, your stats prove they don't mean anything for the season. But I don't want a nailbiter or any other shyt show on offense for the first couple games. I want to be happy and watch a fun, exciting team. Even if only for a couple games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well if they are really good it only matters if they look good against KY also. Notre Dame and Bowling Green dropped 62 on UMass last season.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Watching that 2014 game, it didn't matter if we scored 100 points we still looked like ****. There was nothing a middle tier team from the acc couldn't handle when it came to scheme, route design, anything. I remember not being impressed by the offense even though we scored a ton. This offense is a million times more complex and to see it get off on the right foot, move the ball on guys 1/3rd the talent level, yeah, I'd say it means a lot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
he

Once again Law has plopped it in the livewell...disastrout" offense = an offense that stinks like a dead fish...
... the Treon Lameho Trout, the species that can't evolve.

As for my clear thinking : I wish we would never play a first game.

--Seriously, I am wanting a score above 50. With lots of substitution players doing really well, developing
that "whole team" wild enthusiasm, brute forcefulness from every position.
--Want LDR to reveal himself as a super-effective pro-style QB.
--Want Thompson to bash for 120+ yards - no fumbles.
-- Want Cronkrite and Scarlet to have dazzling, Emmit Smith like cuts to daylight.
--Want Brandon Powell and Callaway to show up as obvious star WRs.
--Want freshmen WRs to show true potential via decent results. Let's have lots of YACs.
--Want TEs to be repeatedly reliable "go to" guys.
--Want Eddie to hit 2+ long ones to go with any short one PRN.

--Want our defensive position guys to uphold the Gator Tradition of a smothering defense. Want young
newcomers to play like veterans. Want the D-guys all celebrating each no-gain play.
--Want some INTs via smart positioning & speed.
--Want Townsend's one punt to go 50+.
-- Hope Coach Mac doesn't get persecuted by the SPCG (= Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Gum).
-- Hope Steve Spurrier loves the christening of his namesake football field - with enough fine execution that he's infused with smiling satisfaction throughout the night at home.
-- Also want Emmit Smith to have a blast on our sidelines.

About time GatorNation has euphoria based on reality of a rebuilding-juggernaut.

Last edited:

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
At the end of the Ky game we will know a whole lot. They always play us close. And Stoops will bring a good defense. If we beat them by 21 look out. If we do watch what the line is on the Tn game. It may flip.

Question: If if if we break the top ten what week will it happen? I say we do.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm looking for efficiency. How many 3 and outs, how many punts, and especially red zone efficiency. Seems like those things have been off the last 6 years even when playing crap teams.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
The days of hiking the ball over the quarterbacks head on opening day when we play Diddly Squat U. are over. Thank God.

As T Rex said, we won't know much until we play Tennessee, but we absolutely must come out ready to play against U. Mass. If we don't play well offensively against U. Mass, Kentucky, and North Texas that will be a negative. If we play well against these teams, it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but it won't be a negative.

The true test will be against Tennessee in Knoxville. Beating the Vols at Neyland when they will be ramped up to play us, when we have beaten them 11 times in a row, when they have supposedly their best team in years, that will be the test that will catapult us into the national limelight as a really serious team this year.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'll second red zone efficiency. That is also something seems to carry throughout the season.
Also the Kentucky game can be informative. Blowing them out would be informative as it would mean a talent gap as well as a team that is firing on all cylinders.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Execute as well as possible and stay injury free, that's all I really care about in game 1. Some sloppy things are going to happen, that's just the way it is. Best not to read too much into it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At the end of the Ky game we will know
a whole lot. They always play us close.
And Stoops will bring a good defense.
If we beat them by 21 look out. If we do
watch what the line is on the Tn game.
It may flip.

Question: If if if we break the top ten
what week will it happen? I say we do.

It will definitely tell us a lot more than the UMass blowout. Not sure what to expect from the KY defense this season as they lost some pretty good players from their front seven but Stoops is really bragging on their secondary this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator