Do the results on offense for our first game really matter?

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Remember when the HBC was hired. All he did was talk about all of the good players everywhere. I was thinking don't talk like that before the season starts. We now know he was seeing great talent everywhere. This year Coach Mac has been doing the same thing. I think he is seeing it and we are about to enjoy seeing it on Saturdays.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, it matters. Imagine where our offense would be ranked if the stats against the cream puffs didn't count (and I'm sure everyone thought 3-9 FAU was going to be a cream puff too).

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sure it matters. But what it means in my mind is to play and execute well, no mistakes, and no injuries. Half a hundred would be nice but do it in a good workman like performance and for the love of god no stupid penalties.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As has been stated the only way we learn anything is if our offense is bad. If we do what we are supposed to do then it really doesn't tell us anything.

If our offense comes out and blows the doors off Kentucky then I will start to feel very confident about our season.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I am more interested in the result of the KY game. Even though they are bottom tier they will be more of a true test for the remaining SEC games. If we struggle against a Stoops D then we may be in for some nail biters. However, if we score 40 we can breathe just a little easier. KY has been a lot closer the past 2 years than I would have liked!
Go Gators

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We really won't know anything until Kentucky..... UMass is basically a preseason game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think more than blowing out Kentucky I'm interested in seeing if our offense can move the sticks throughout the entire game. The last 2 years seemed that right when we should have been taking complete control of the game we would hit a period of several 3 and outs or pick up maybe one or 2 1st downs then stall. It was the same against UT, Vandy and Mizzou. Actually our offense has looked that way even against lesser teams over the last few years. We won't have an elite defense this year or next imo so it is critical that our offense takes up some of the slack. In a nutshell we've got to consistently move the sticks.
I think having a functional kicker will also build some confidence as the coaches can go underneath or checkdown to a RB or even a delayed handoff on 3rd and long when we're on the opponents side of the field instead of calling a slow developing long pass play which mostly resulted in sacks over the last couple of years...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
It's been often where we hear terrible teams show up to our stadium more confident then they have ever been in their putrid history's to beat a team of our stature. That **** has to stop. I really think we need to pound our first three opponents and get that level of aura back.

Overall, getting first downs and consistently moving the ball like a lot of you have said is up there for me too. We haven't had an even flow to a game for years it seems.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The days of hiking the ball over the quarterbacks head on opening day when we play Diddly Squat U. are over. Thank God.
I had almost forgotten the days of Bouncy Poucy. Thanks for reminding me...
:wobble:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
to give you a one word answer....

No, it doesn't really matter. Unless, of course, we crap the bed and can't move the ball. The Minutemen (can't we just call them the av's for short) should not even be in the game midway thru the 1st. if they stick around and we have to win it in the 4th, there are some serious issues and we should start looking for new coaches now, before Presbyterian beats us later this year.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure it matters. But what it means in my mind is to play and execute well, no mistakes, and no injuries. Half a hundred would be nice but do it in a good workman like performance and for the love of god no stupid penalties.

This!

I look at each play / pass and think, would the pass be intercepted by UGA or LSU? You can play garbage teams and overmatch them but what I want to see is, do our WRs get open and where is the ball placed. Are the RBs hitting the hole and seeing the field. Is the line protecting and opening holes.

Our D should not allow a TD in the first 3 games. We have a 3 game warmup to get all of the inexperienced players ready for Knoxville. We should be ready!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our D should not allow a TD in the first 3 games.

:smh:. You guys are all buying into this "Great Defense" BS...

The depth chart includes freshmen and a converted safety/qb at LB and walkons at DT/NT.

We will have many, many problems on defense this year and more to come the next.

It's no harder to predict than last year's OL sucking.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The depth chart includes freshmen and a converted safety/qb at LB and walkons at DT/NT.

We will have many, many problems on defense this year and more to come the next.

In your opinion it will be a lot worse than last season? Most people seem to think it will still be top 10 level this year. I agree 2017 could have some big issues.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In your opinion it will be a lot worse than last season? Most people seem to think it will still be top 10 level this year. I agree 2017 could have some big issues.
I'm not gonna say we'll be average on defense but it wouldn't shock me. We lost a 3 year All SEC starter at CB, a 3 year starter at safety, a 4 year starter at LB and a badass of a Defensive lineman, one of the best 5 in CFB last year imo, in Bullard....and then there's the Collins factor.....

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014

Eh. I think the line will be very good, line backer depth is fine to me, safeties and dbs are good. Scoreless is a huge exaggeration but keeping opposing offenses in check like normal seems like it should be an easy goal to accomplish

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
We averaged 13 PPG the last 6 games of the season. Barely squeaking out wins against Vandy and Fau. I think it can help build the confidence of Del Rio. But we wont show our whole offense against UMass our starters may not play the whole game either. Kentucky is more of a look of how we will play but we wont really know until Tennessee. I put a little into it but not a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator