Do the results on offense for our first game really matter?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

It's a competitive world..

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm not gonna say we'll be average on defense but it wouldn't shock me. We lost a 3 year All SEC starter at CB, a 3 year starter at safety, a 4 year starter at LB and a badass of a Defensive lineman, one of the best 5 in CFB last year imo, in Bullard....and then there's the Collins factor.....

In all fairness; Tabor is likely better than VH3 and Q is a damn good corner as well. We still have one safety and yes I believe we will have a freshman out there but at least he was an early enrollee....

As for the LB; the guy was gimped. He couldnt cover a soul and it showed. He never really recovered from that injury against ECU. I think we will be a little better in coverage at LB and we still have a much better backer in Davis.

Bullard was a big loss no doubt; I'll be interested to see if CeCe, Cox, and company pick up the slack

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In your opinion it will be a lot worse than last season? Most people seem to think it will still be top 10 level this year.
Many people seem to think Tinerc will win the SEC. Many people have given Ugly four or five preseason championships when Richt was there. Many people are wrong.

It's not that hard to look at our roster see the void at DT and NT and the weakness at inside linebackers. Any power team had their way with us up the middle LAST year and even mediocre QBs could violate our safeties over the top pretty much at will. We are far worse at each of those positions except Mike this year.

Stats mean nothing, especially when they are really just a representation of the fact that no one bothered to score more points because our offense has been too impotent. Why take risks when you are up two scores on a team that can't score twice in a game? Surely the Duncecap regime exhibited this well for you.

I don't know that it will be "a lot worse than last season". It's basically the same thing, soft up the middle, good DEs and CBs that we've seen. Losing Bullard as a run stopper is a big deal. We will still look good enough against weak offenses (most of the SEC by design) and still get burnt up the middle and over the top often.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bullard was a big loss no doubt; I'll be interested to see if CeCe, Cox, and company pick up the slack
You think CeCe and Cox are playing NT/DT? They are smaller than some of Bammers linebackers. Think they can handle 320lb SEC linemen, giving up 50 or 70 pounds? Why do you think Bammer has all these 300 lb DL, even DEs, while we have one?

I'm a bit dumbfounded by so many of our DL skipped the weightroom this spring and summer and coming back much lighter. It's going to be very hard to expect CeCe to move inside, even though he will have to as soon as our two bigger eaters sprain an ankle or get winded.

Cox is a slow linebacker. I like him, plays smartly aggressive. Certainly gets the most out of his talent, but he is a tweener. He's not going to be a run stuffer. Bullard was the man at stuffing the run.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We do need to take back the Swamp and start rolling these lower non SEC caliber teams like we used to and not just the lowly UMass schools. Teams like E Carolina and FAU should know they are going to take a beating in the Swamp and not come in thinking they have a real shot at an upset.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is not a hold it back kinda guy....

Somewhere Mrs. Mac is reading GatorChatter, comes across this statement, smirks, and says to herself,
"You ain't telling me anything I don't already know."

Last edited:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
You think CeCe and Cox are playing NT/DT? They are smaller than some of Bammers linebackers. Think they can handle 320lb SEC linemen, giving up 50 or 70 pounds? Why do you think Bammer has all these 300 lb DL, even DEs, while we have one?

I'm a bit dumbfounded by so many of our DL skipped the weightroom this spring and summer and coming back much lighter. It's going to be very hard to expect CeCe to move inside, even though he will have to as soon as our two bigger eaters sprain an ankle or get winded.

Cox is a slow linebacker. I like him, plays smartly aggressive. Certainly gets the most out of his talent, but he is a tweener. He's not going to be a run stuffer. Bullard was the man at stuffing the run.

That's why I said I will be interested; I'm not sure they can but we will see.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Many people seem to think Tinerc will win the SEC. People have given Ugly four or five preseason championships when Richt was there. Many people are wrong.

It's not that hard to look at our roster see the void at DT and NT and the weakness at inside linebackers. Any power team had their way with us up the middle LAST year and even mediocre QBs could violate our safeties over the top pretty much at will. We are far worse at each of those positions except Mike this year.

Stats mean nothing, especially when they are really just a representation of the fact that no one bothered to score more points because our offense has been too impotent. Why take risks when you are up two scores on a team that can't score twice in a game? Surely the Duncecap regime exhibited this well for you.

I don't know that it will be "a lot worse than last season". It's basically the same thing, soft up the middle, good DEs and CBs that we've seen. Losing Bullard as a run stopper is a big deal. We will still look good enough against weak offenses (most of the SEC by design) and still get burnt up the middle and over the top often.

Safety is probably an upgrade...Neal could hit but couldn't cover; I am expecting Gardner to be able to cover better

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Safety is probably an upgrade...Neal could hit but couldn't cover; I am expecting Gardner to be able to cover better
Neal was a 1st round draft pick. I think he was much better than what you are giving him credit for. I too have high expectations for Gardner... But stating that a true freshman who has yet to play a single down of college football is an upgrade over a 1st round draft pick is a bit of a reach...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Re: Gardner, you may be correct on that at least in coverage skills, but I think much of the safety problems have been the safeties being forced to cheat up and cover the soft middle. Maye and Neal are both good strong safeties vs the run, both very, very suspect vs. pass.

It's always a terrible sign when the safety leads the team in tackles. I think Maye and Neal were #1 and #2 in tackles for us.

Ala: I agree it probably won't be an overall upgrade, but perhaps the right word was not a dropoff, similiar to how I don't expect a significant dropoff at CB despite losing VH3.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Neal was a 1st round draft pick. I think he was much better than what you are giving him credit for. I too have high expectations for Gardner... But stating that a true freshman who has yet to play a single down of college football is an upgrade over a 1st round draft pick is a bit of a reach...

I said he would be better in coverage; an upgrade in coverage. I should probably edit my post to reflect that. Right now Neal is the overall better player.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Re: Gardner, you may be correct on that at least in coverage skills, but I think much of the safety problems have been the safeties being forced to cheat up and cover the soft middle. Maye and Neal are both good strong safeties vs the run, both very, very suspect vs. pass.

It's always a terrible sign when the safety leads the team in tackles. I think Maye and Neal were #1 and #2 in tackles for us.

Ala: I agree it probably won't be an overall upgrade, but perhaps the right word was not a dropoff, similiar to how I don't expect a significant dropoff at CB despite losing VH3.

They were 3rd and 4th which still isn't good

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Neal was a first round pick at Strong Safety, not at Free Safety which is what he was forced to play at times for us because we had two Strong Safeties an no real Free Safeties.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Mac said today at the scrimmage they were working on the rotations having CeCe inside but outside on some rabbit stuff - whatever that means.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will be at the game watching the OL very closely. The OL gave up the most sacks in the SEC last season. If the OL does not DOMINATE the UMass DL we are in big trouble again this season.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I will be at the game watching the OL very closely. The OL gave up the most sacks in the SEC last season. If the OL does not DOMINATE the UMass DL we are in big trouble again this season.
Most sacks given up in the COUNTRY.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
But they were all Treon's fault.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

^This. The health of our OL was our downfall last year (outside of Harris). It didn't matter who we had at the end of the season with that Offensive line at QB. If we don't have a walking MASH unit down the stretch this year, we could be going back to Atlanta with the way the East lines up.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We only have one Sr starting on offense
and I still think we will be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator