Dooley article on Mac Era

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Exactly I talk to a Gator friend who still weekly brings this up. Dooley in his facebook live today said the pool was really thin when McElwain was hired, but of course UF had the year before kept a 4-8 coach, so that thin pool was Foley's fault. This year Dooley things the pool is quite good. We shall see.

Can someone tell me exactly what that means, the pool was thin? I do not understand that at all. What is says to me is our AD, Fooley, was lazy, uneducated and not up to speed regarding potential coaches who might be available at that time, whether they were head or assistant coaches. But no Fooley says to an intern: "Bring me the records of all head coaches in small conferences so I can try and hire one". B/C Fooley whiffed big time on Zook and Chump, he decided has to have head coaching experience. Not smart enough to identify a potential assistant on any level, pro or college, who could be the next big thing. Frost was probably a respected asst. coach at Oregon then. Fuente was probably still at Memphis (not sure). The pool was thin to Tooley b/c Fooley said it was!!!!!!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can someone tell me exactly what that means, the pool was thin? I do not understand that at all.
it means in conf usa and wac there were no good cheap coaches.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
it means in conf usa and wac there were no good cheap coaches.

Well I guess what I was getting at is that every single coach that is being mentioned as a potential candidate for the UF job now was available in some fashion 3 years ago, correct? So we did not have the right personnel on our admin staff (cough cough) to identify any of these individuals!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I guess what I was getting at is that every single coach that is being mentioned as a potential candidate for the UF job now was available in some fashion 3 years ago, correct? So we did not have the right personnel on our admin staff (cough cough) to identify any of these individuals!!!
They were coordinators. But Jeremy "learned" that you can't hire a coordinator but apparently didn't learn that we don't want Saban's offense from 10-15 years ago.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Could there ever have been two dumbasses more perfect for each other than these two? I wonder who's lazier, Dooley or Mac?

One pretends he is a coach, and the other couldn't find his d!ck if he actually had to write an article about it.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Urban had the best facilities (at the time) but that all fell apart starting in 09. Everyone else started building while we refused to do so. Our piss poor Facilities has cost us tremendously over the yrs and they'll continue to do so until they are fixed.

If we had great coaches the facilities that are not as good as others would have had much less of an effect. Blaming them is incorrect, now our AD was deficient in not getting us facilities but our HBC should have asked for them. Our new HBC (now thankfully gone) should have worked with the various team members to get what he though needed. By making the case, not being an arrogant ass.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Can someone tell me exactly what that means, the pool was thin? I do not understand that at all. What is says to me is our AD, Fooley, was lazy, uneducated and not up to speed regarding potential coaches who might be available at that time, whether they were head or assistant coaches. But no Fooley says to an intern: "Bring me the records of all head coaches in small conferences so I can try and hire one". B/C Fooley whiffed big time on Zook and Chump, he decided has to have head coaching experience. Not smart enough to identify a potential assistant on any level, pro or college, who could be the next big thing. Frost was probably a respected asst. coach at Oregon then. Fuente was probably still at Memphis (not sure). The pool was thin to Tooley b/c Fooley said it was!!!!!!!!

What it means is in 2014, as UF kept a 4-8 coach, UTx, SoCal, Penn State, Louisville and UW all fired their old coach and took candidates, Strong, Sarkisian, Franklin, Petrino and Petersen off the market. So in 2015 when UF belatedly acted there were not as many proven or semi-proven coaches for UF to try to hire. I have a friend that reminds me of this weekly or monthly ranting about Foley.

I do tend to agree with you that there is probably a great hire out there every year. Foley has just never found one.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
It is always funny how these guys have the guts to write articles like this right after the coach is fired...
LOL! "Fat Pat" is always the first to pound his chest on any gator hire, plays the Circus Barker when the appointment runs aground, and then tries to be the first one to say "I told you so" when the guy washes out. His prime example of backing the wrong horse is when the Gators announced the hiring of fat assed Charlie Weis as Chump's first OC. I thought he was going to pee his pants when he wrote all about how it was such a home-run hire, how Charlie will transform the offense into another juggernaut, how Johnnie Brantley would just grow and prosper into another great Gator quarterback along the lines of Spurrier, Shane, Danny, and Tim. After 9 months of watching the buffoon sweating on the sidelines, destroying all those ice chests, and helping Chump to just a so-so season, Charlie bolted to Kansas.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
What it means is in 2014, as UF kept a 4-8 coach, UTx, SoCal, Penn State, Louisville and UW all fired their old coach and took candidates, Strong, Sarkisian, Franklin, Petrino and Petersen off the market. So in 2015 when UF belatedly acted there were not as many proven or semi-proven coaches for UF to try to hire. I have a friend that reminds me of this weekly or monthly ranting about Foley.

I do tend to agree with you that there is probably a great hire out there every year. Foley has just never found one.

Thanx, but I was just being facetious. I know what it meant, but my point is this. Regardless of who anyone would like as a head coach, all of the following names have been mentioned in some form and all were known 3 years ago:
Cambell
Cousin Eddie,
Strong
Taggert,

brohm
Frost
Herman
Fleck
Petrino
Whittingham
etc
etc
etc.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
LOL! "Fat Pat" is always the first to pound his chest on any gator hire, plays the Circus Barker when the appointment runs aground, and then tries to be the first one to say "I told you so" when the guy washes out. His prime example of backing the wrong horse is when the Gators announced the hiring of fat assed Charlie Weis as Chump's first OC. I thought he was going to pee his pants when he wrote all about how it was such a home-run hire, how Charlie will transform the offense into another juggernaut, how Johnnie Brantley would just grow and prosper into another great Gator quarterback along the lines of Spurrier, Shane, Danny, and Tim. After 9 months of watching the buffoon sweating on the sidelines, destroying all those ice chests, and helping Chump to just a so-so season, Charlie bolted to Kansas.

But you have to hand it to Cheeseburger. The guy probably holds the record for being paid by the most teams or schools NOT to coach or while not coaching!!!!!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I actually feel bad for pat. He hes had to pump up this ******* for the last 2 and half years in order to feed his family. He's obviously not allowed to write what he wants.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No no no.

If he had fired that Fvkktard after 4-8....

Though I said at the time and continue to believe we should have fired him after Vandy, it didn't happen. So to be revisionist history about it now, and to forget what was going on at the time. Hernandez in the national media, Meyers arrest record in the national media, and the rape scandal surfacing in Vandy, we were not going to touch him because of bad press. I think he is an excellent coach, but it would have been incredibly bad optics at the time. Now there were a number of other options at the time that were better than anything on the 2014 market.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If we had great coaches the facilities that are not as good as others would have had much less of an effect. Blaming them is incorrect, now our AD was deficient in not getting us facilities but our HBC should have asked for them. Our new HBC (now thankfully gone) should have worked with the various team members to get what he though needed. By making the case, not being an arrogant ass.

The "facilities" thing w/ Foley is inexcusable. Him making the comment that we're "not getting into an arms race" should be one of the other reasons he's not the GOAT, like so many think he is.

As an AD, he should be visiting other schools AD's on a regular basis...especially when he's there to watch one of our teams play (a road game). He's been to Tallahassee, he's been to Tuscaloosa, he's been to plenty of other schools. He could have had a sit down w/ the AD just to shoot the sh*t, taken a tour of their new dorms/weight room/football facilities/IPF, etc and come back to Gainesville and compared. He should have seen the "arms race" coming. Instead, he let UF become the laughing stock of the SEC. As Law has said numerous times, we're nearly at the bottom. Even the Mississippi school's seem to have outdone us.

Most businesses have a "capital improvements" plan. It seems that Business 101 idea went right out the window w/ Foley's UAA. There should be money earmarked every year for improvements, upgrades, new construction, additions, etc. The UAA's plan was: if it's broken, paint it....if it's dirty, pour bleach on it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I actually feel bad for pat. He hes had to pump up this ******* for the last 2 and half years in order to feed his family. He's obviously not allowed to write what he wants.

You serious, Clark? I’m guessing no...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
it was thin in the sense that Fooley refused to spend a dime on anyone that made sense

Fuente was definitely available at the time. I remember the arguments for him on a different board. but we went for the guy who could light up a strip club dance floor with his teeth instead

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
The "facilities" thing w/ Foley is inexcusable. Him making the comment that we're "not getting into an arms race" should be one of the other reasons he's not the GOAT, like so many think he is.

As an AD, he should be visiting other schools AD's on a regular basis...especially when he's there to watch one of our teams play (a road game). He's been to Tallahassee, he's been to Tuscaloosa, he's been to plenty of other schools. He could have had a sit down w/ the AD just to shoot the sh*t, taken a tour of their new dorms/weight room/football facilities/IPF, etc and come back to Gainesville and compared. He should have seen the "arms race" coming. Instead, he let UF become the laughing stock of the SEC. As Law has said numerous times, we're nearly at the bottom. Even the Mississippi school's seem to have outdone us.

Most businesses have a "capital improvements" plan. It seems that Business 101 idea went right out the window w/ Foley's UAA. There should be money earmarked every year for improvements, upgrades, new construction, additions, etc. The UAA's plan was: if it's broken, paint it....if it's dirty, pour bleach on it.

Was talking to a UCF grad yesterday who was unhappy that we are likely making a run at Frost. I said 'can you blame him? same recruiting area, but you are recruiting from the A spot instead of the B spot.'

His comment was 'have you been to UCF? other than the stadium, we have nicer facilities than you do'

He also pointed out that UCF would likely steamroll us and half the SEC right now. Couldn't argue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator