ESPN Film on Steve Spurrier

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
Umm, I'm pretty sure advancing an apples to apples on 2001 vs. 2013 Florida isn't going to work regardless of the repressed anger you hold over last year.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was a great show - and showed why he really is the Greatest Gator football coach, and always will be. When he retires from USC, even though he coached there, we need to consider renaming the field (probably cannot do it to the stadium with all the $$ that the Griffin family has donated) from Florida Field to Spurrier Field.

Found it interesting that up until his coming to USC, they only had ONE million $ donator, Mrs. Williams-Brice, who their stadium is named for. And that we have something like 30 to 40 (or even more).

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
So are we saying that Earnest Graham's injury for the 2001 UT game is a legit excuse for why we lost? Just trying to gauge when the injury excuse is valid, especially if it's one player as opposed to two dozen.
Well played, sir.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator said:
It was a great show - and showed why he really is the Greatest Gator football coach, and always will be. When he retires from USC, even though he coached there, we need to consider renaming the field (probably cannot do it to the stadium with all the $$ that the Griffin family has donated) from Florida Field to Spurrier Field.

Found it interesting that up until his coming to USC, they only had ONE million $ donator, Mrs. Williams-Brice, who their stadium is named for. And that we have something like 30 to 40 (or even more).
Similar problems at Florida back in the day. Poor, run-down facilities, not a lot of donors, not a lot of money. It was Charley and Ward Pell who changed that. Coach Pell started the Gator Clubs and established to booster donation pipelines. If you have a chance to read about how he courted Mr. Ben Hill Griffin, Jr. (sitting on the front porch, mostly in silence) you should. If I recall correctly, it was a check for $20M, not a lot by today's standards but it was by far the biggest donation in UF history at the time and it renamed the stadium. Pell got donations big and small from both alums and supporters. He got Dave Thomas (of Wendy's fame) to buy us a gym (Dave's daugther "Wendy" went to UF). We hadn't won much on the field when Spurrier arrived as HBC in 1990, but the infrastructure for instant success was there and we owe a debt of gratitude to Charley and Ward Pell.

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mohammad Atta hopefully has a chafed ******* in hell right now, for obvious reasons, low down on the list is if that game was in September, we roll, and likely roll all the way to the NC.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Finally watch the recording last night...pretty blessed life overall... another accomplished Gator alum, enjoyed the walk back in time.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watching it now. Very, very good. Shame he's not walking our sidelines.

Funny quote from Fulmer. Glad they are cordial w/ each other. That was a great rivalry while Spurrier was at UF.

I'm a grown man...and I don't have many "hero's", but I can say he is one of the few.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n14700 said:
I am reminded of something once said of Don Shula. He can beat you with his guys, or he could beat you with your guys. It was a different time and having talent stored up from previous bad coaches at the Dolphins made it possible, but Shula was one of the best of his time. Sort of like SOS in college.

What Bum Phillips said was : "He can take his'n and beat your'n . Then take your'n and beat his'n."

Nautigator

Founding Member
Level 11.5 Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator said:

Alex is dead on. Charley became the Richard Nixon of football. People have forgotten the great things he did to kickstart the Gators to where they are today. The probation we were put on was one step from the death penalty and it hurt, but the money and the booster organization he put in place is why we became successful.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
VulcanAlex said:
I am reminded of something once said of Don Shula. He can beat you with his guys, or he could beat you with your guys. It was a different time and having talent stored up from previous bad coaches at the Dolphins made it possible, but Shula was one of the best of his time. Sort of like SOS in college.
Nope, it was a famous black coach (gaither or the Gambling guy) saying it about Bear Bryant. "He could take his guys and beat your or take your guys and beat his"

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If you watched gator football decades before SOS came to coach you know why he is far and away the single greatest figure in Fla Football. He took all the pain and misery pre 1990 and destroyed it as he destroyed the SEC with his offense. Just what he did to UGA makes him the greatest coach at UF. Charley Pell DID bring in the booster money and great players but the NCAA made the wins moot in terms of hardware. What Urban did in his short time was outstanding anyone that hates him because he left or how he left does not understand the history of UF football. HE added two more national titles (after having one) he brought us Timmy with his Heisman and his record breaking TD run against uga that BROKE Herschel Walker's (greatest SEC RB and maybe player of all time) TD record. Urban was a hired gun no more and no less and he MORE than earned his money. Who gives a sh#t if he went home to follow Woody Hayes, Woody was his hero. He was a yankee boy that wanted to return home.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Wobs, you still fishin huh?

SOS is awesome.

Some times I just say "Awesome SOS!"

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Spurrier is a good coach. He's a racist and a quitter, but he's a good coach. Meyer is a big fat bag of crap.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator said:
Spurrier is a good coach. He's a racist and a quitter, but he's a good coach. Meyer is a big fat bag of crap.
Don't start this again, KC. There is zero evidence that Spurrier is a racist.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
KCgator said:
You have no proof he isn't. I guess black QBs aren't good enough to play for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator