ESPN Film on Steve Spurrier

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
I was in the student card section when he kicked that FG to beat Auburn.
No sh!t. It seems like yesterday, though. 70 is not so old when you get there! Ima shooting for 90.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
I'm not old enough to have watched him play, but I do remember the 80s and to live through that and then be a witness to the 90s is why I know and any other Gator who did the same knows, that Steve Spurrier is the Greatest Gator of all time and its not even debatable.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Watched it. Awesome. Great memories. I got to enjoy all my teenage years with Coach Spurrier.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It will always bum me out that part of the reason he no longer coaches UF is the ridiculous fan expectations.

And please don't say it's because Machen/Foley demanded a resume from him the second time around...I'm referring to reasons why he left in the first place.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
WobbleGator;n14605 said:
Urban Meyer is a better football coach than SOS.

Meyer benefited byTenn and FSU having down years when he was here. FSU was on an unmatched run in history during Spurrier's years as a top 5 team and Tenn was usually top 10 those years.
This is true. To fair Meyer faced much stronger LSU, USCe coached by Spurrier, and much stronger UGA teams.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Gator Fever;n14672 said:
Meyer benefited byTenn and FSU having down years when he was here. FSU was on an unmatched run in history during Spurrier's years as a top 5 team and Tenn was usually top 10 those years.
SOS benefited from facing a down LSU and uga every year.
USCe wasn't near as good either. Heck Urban had to face SOS there.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ironically, the fan expectations haven't diminished much...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent documentary. Best one I've seen from ESPN, but I admit I'm a little biased.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Really enjoyed it, love seeing the bond he still has with players from 20+ years ago.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n36486 said:
It will always bum me out that part of the reason he no longer coaches UF is the ridiculous fan expectations. And please don't say it's because Machen/Foley demanded a resume from him the second time around...I'm referring to reasons why he left in the first place.
Fan expectations didn't bother Spurrier, Jerri and he had just built and moved into a $3 mil home the previous Sept. He always had a 2 week window in his contract after the season that he could leave agreed to by Foley. He was pissed the interim President Charles something and Foley did not support him in the Darnell Dockett crap and Dan Snyder guaranteed him $5 mil/yr for 5 yrs. Plus he had an itch to try his offense in the NFL. The Dockett issue started it all as it cost us the Tenn. game and a MNC shot. Foley should have had Steve's back on that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n36486 said:
It will always bum me out that part of the reason he no longer coaches UF is the ridiculous fan expectations.

And please don't say it's because Machen/Foley demanded a resume from him the second time around...I'm referring to reasons why he left in the first place.

He left to try his hand in the pro's period.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
He's the best thing that ever happened to Florida football and THE reason for all our championships. Without Spurrier, Meyer wouldn't have even been a candidate for the job. Without Spurrier, we're Arkansas. The biggest question I have, is why in the hell is it Florida Field instead of "Steve Spurrier Field" and where is the coaching statue of Spurrier in his visor?
SOS named Florida Field "The Swamp". Nickname, whatever, it was his idea and it's still well recognized nationally.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14672 said:
The SEC as a whole is much much tougher now than it was during the SOS years but yeah fsu was way down and tenn was for part of it but a solid team through most of his years.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watched it last night, was excellent. I even got a little misty at a few parts and am not ashamed to admit it. Love Coach Spurrier and IMO he is the greatest of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.