Fake News: Locksley inks deal with UF

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have first hand information, so that is definitely interesting. I still think he gets one more year. I think it would look bad from the outside and to other coaching candidates if the fire him after 3 when he won the East twice.

The exception to that is if he has a really really bad year or if there is a really hot coaching candidate out there that they get a deal in place with before firing Mac. That is what Texas did. They would have kept Charlie around at least another year if they couldn't get Herman.

I don't know who that home run hire is right now. Maybe Chip Kelly, but I'm not sold on that after he failed so hard in the NFL. I think that will hurt his reputation. Maybe PJ, but I think it is 2 years before we really know if he is any good. I don't think you fire Mac without a good replacement in hand... it could hurt more than it could help

Hey, I agree with this, also. I think he makes it through next year to the end regardless of what happens. If it's bad he is on a short leash for 2018. An available coach with a small window of opportunity could be a game changer, but that's a lot of ifs. And we don't speculate around here, do we..:lol:

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
No changes. No juice. No sense of urgency. No attempt to build upon an uplifting bowl victory. No clue. It's inevitable... next year will be another year down the toilet; a disastrous disappointment that should require us to have to start all over again with a new coach. Will that even happen? Doubtful, at this point. Mac and the new AD have done nothing to earn my faith or confidence that they are even interested in turning around our program. Unless there are many monumental surprises in store for Feb 1, we are in for another year of frustration. Will this nightmare ever end? Go Gators. Yay. :flush:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@McMurphyESPN: Mike Locksley, who was considering full-time assistant role at Florida, remaining w/Alabama; expected to get on-field job, source told @ESPN

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The noise is loud on this message board. Not from boosters. He might be on the hot seat next year, but won't be gone
I have not seen the 2016 numbers yet not have I seen the 2017

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
@McMurphyESPN: Mike Locksley, who was considering full-time assistant role at Florida, remaining w/Alabama; expected to get on-field job, source told @ESPN

We all knew this already, but I can tell people were holding out hope. I think Saban knew he couldn't keep Cristobol because becoming an OC was too big of a move and Saban couldn't match that, so he made Locksley his priority from a coaching staff perspective.

Locksley would have been a big help, but he was not a silver bullet. We need guys like him and we need more than one. Lets hope Mac can find some other guys out there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We all knew this already, but I can tell people were holding out hope. I think Saban knew he couldn't keep Cristobol because becoming an OC was too big of a move and Saban couldn't match that, so he made Locksley his priority from a coaching staff perspective.

Locksley would have been a big help, but he was not a silver bullet. We need guys like him and we need more than one. Lets hope Mac can find some other guys out there.

He's had an f ing month to fix this. He got played like always. He's always gonna be the b!tch. It's who he is.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with that, but I also think its very possible year 3 is a total dumpster fire. We will find out soon.
I get all the negativity regarding bad news about missed coaching hires, recruiting fails and all (I've been following along pretty closely the past few days and I'm just SMH at the failures) but I just don't get why people think next year's gonna be a dumpster fire. Sure, we're losing a lot on D, but we also got quite a few young guys some valuable experience toward the end of the season and in the bowl game; and we now have Shannon at the helm, who runs a more aggressive D. So, maybe some drop off on D, but I don't think too drastic. The offense, while statistically IS a dumpster fire, brings back just about everyone (except Sharpe/Dillard/Fullwood), and the consensus is that those vacancies create automatic upgrades). All offensive positions should see an uptick and hopefully Mac chooses to start Frask in the opener. We have 7 home games, 2 neutrals, and our away games are KY, Mizzou and USCe. I have no reason to believe we're gonna lose to any of the teams we beat last year and UT is losing a lot of players as well.
I guess I should get clarification on what y'all think is a dumpster fire season. Crete said 8-4 would be, but it would be good enough to keep Mac. 4-8 is obviously a dumpster fire and Mac would be gone for sure. I kind of agree with Crete - 8-4 is not good enough, but Mac would still be here for another year - then let the dumpster fire talk for season #4 begin. I just don't see it for season 3. Of course, I'm a glass half-full guy though. :bandit:
:drunk:

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
Now I wonder if y'all ever see my tweets on ur TL cuz y'all be posting a lot of ppl I follow and talk too

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Mac strikes out again, what a joke! I have no enthusiasm for signing day or beyond at this point. It's gonna be years and under the " right leadership " from top to bottom before we're ever going to see greatness again. Meanwhile the best we can hope for is to be a little above average and the occasional upset win, and to continue being Fsu's b!tch!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I get all the negativity regarding bad news about missed coaching hires, recruiting fails and all (I've been following along pretty closely the past few days and I'm just SMH at the failures) but I just don't get why people think next year's gonna be a dumpster fire. Sure, we're losing a lot on D, but we also got quite a few young guys some valuable experience toward the end of the season and in the bowl game; and we now have Shannon at the helm, who runs a more aggressive D. So, maybe some drop off on D, but I don't think too drastic. The offense, while statistically IS a dumpster fire, brings back just about everyone (except Sharpe/Dillard/Fullwood, and the consensus is that those vacancies create automatic upgrades). All offensive positions should see an uptick and hopefully Mac chooses to start Frask in the opener. We have 7 home games, 2 neutrals, and our away games are KY, Mizzou and USCe. I have no reason to believe we're gonna lose to any of the teams we beat last year and UT is losing a lot of players as well.
I guess I should get clarification on what y'all think is a dumpster fire season. Crete said 8-4 would be, but it would be good enough to keep Mac. 4-8 is obviously a dumpster fire and Mac would be gone for sure. I kind of agree with Crete - 8-4 is not good enough, but Mac would still be here for another year - then let the dumpster fire talk for season #4 begin. I just don't see it for season 3. Of course, I'm a glass half-full guy though. :bandit:
Im playing the odds on a few things when I make the prediction. For whatever the reason, year 3 is almost always a bad year for any coach we have, even the great ones. I dont know why, but it just is. Maybe its because the first class of the new coach is pretty much the heart of the team and first classes are typically pretty underwhelming? That may have something to do with it but who knows. All I know is it just seems to consistently happen. Second is that since mac showed up recruiting has really plummeted and, like I just mentioned, his recruits will be the majority of the team. Third, we're losing a lot of muschamp recruited talent on the defensive side, and those kids made a lot of plays to keep us in games. Couple that with relatively poor back filling and very poor depth due to poor recruiting and the odds are not great. Finally, I still think the qb position next year will be sad. That's a lot to overcome.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Im playing the odds on a few things when I make the prediction. For whatever the reason, year 3 is almost always a bad year for any coach we have, even the great ones. I dont know why, but it just is. Maybe its because the first class of the new coach is pretty much the heart of the team and first classes are typically pretty underwhelming? That may have something to do with it but who knows. All I know is it just seems to consistently happen. Second is that since mac showed up recruiting has really plummeted and, like I just mentioned, his recruits will be the majority of the team. Third, we're losing a lot of muschamp recruited talent on the defensive side, and those kids made a lot of plays to keep us in games. Couple that with relatively poor back filling and very poor depth due to poor recruiting and the odds are not great. Finally, I still think the qb position next year will be sad. That's a lot to overcome.
I get all that - I just think it's a year early in our case. We had crappy QB play last year and would have won 10 games had we not had to cancel PU, so no change there (and I have hope that one of the young guys is actually gonna be an improvement over LDR/Apples). I'm not gonna stick up for Mac though - if we're a dumpster fire in year 3 as you think we might very well be, then it'll be time to move on.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's had an f ing month to fix this. He got played like always. He's always gonna be the b!tch. It's who he is.

Yeah, but right now I am worried about what he is going to do... not what he didn't. That is in the past.. I just want to see him make a move that makes the staff better... even if it is late.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I get all the negativity regarding bad news about missed coaching hires, recruiting fails and all (I've been following along pretty closely the past few days and I'm just SMH at the failures) but I just don't get why people think next year's gonna be a dumpster fire. Sure, we're losing a lot on D, but we also got quite a few young guys some valuable experience toward the end of the season and in the bowl game; and we now have Shannon at the helm, who runs a more aggressive D. So, maybe some drop off on D, but I don't think too drastic. The offense, while statistically IS a dumpster fire, brings back just about everyone (except Sharpe/Dillard/Fullwood), and the consensus is that those vacancies create automatic upgrades). All offensive positions should see an uptick and hopefully Mac chooses to start Frask in the opener. We have 7 home games, 2 neutrals, and our away games are KY, Mizzou and USCe. I have no reason to believe we're gonna lose to any of the teams we beat last year and UT is losing a lot of players as well.

I'm afraid the new AD is another Foley and he ain't willing to shell out top $$ for assistant coaches. I think Mac is getting a 4th year regardless of record and yeah that includes 4-8. Unless there's some kind of scandal that comes out against Mac next year, he's safe for another year. Hate it all y'all want, the new AD is just Foley's pawn. THIS SUCKS!!!!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

The offense is a complete unknown. If all the sudden it takes off, we should have a pretty good season next year. However nothing has shown us over the last couple years that that's even a remote possibility. If the offense doesn't take off, then the defense will get absolutely carved. We just don't have enough guys on the D line and our defensive backfield will consist of freshman because of the abomination in DB recruiting last year.

The only positive regarding our defense is that a ton of guys got reps last year. Which means they're not going to be noobs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've said this before, if he keeps Nord on this staff he's simply writing his own ticket out of town. Pumpers can pump all they want, he's set himself up for failure.

Anyone who thinks this D isn't going to fall off after losing up to 5 1st round draft choices and 3 other starters is nuts. Sure, we may out-talent Kentucky and Vandy again....but when the big boys come to town it'll be a different story. If anyone thinks Texas A&M, LSU, FSU, UGA, South Carolina, Michigan, or Tennessee is just going to roll over for us....well, you're F'ing crazy. People suggesting we win 9 games (regular season), please tell me who we DON'T lose to. All those teams I listed are potential losses. Also, Kentucky, Vandy, and Missouri aren't going to roll over either...like I said, we will probably out-talent those teams.

It's a sad state of affairs around here. The only hope is that Franks turns out to be a star in the making. If he's a dud....and Trask is a dud....we're done. We'll know right out of the gate if this team is any good when we watch the Michigan game....just like last year, we all knew, when it was 10-7 going into the 4th quarter vs. UMass. There's a lot of blame to hand out, but at the end of the day McElwain is failing. He needed to replace several coaches on this staff and he's failed to do it. I check "coachingticker" daily and see dozens of other schools making moves - and yet - NOTHING about UF making a hire. It's inexcusable and piss poor management.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've said this before, if he keeps Nord on this staff he's simply writing his own ticket out of town. Pumpers can pump all they want, he's set himself up for failure.

Anyone who thinks this D isn't going to fall off after losing up to 5 1st round draft choices and 3 other starters is nuts. Sure, we may out-talent Kentucky and Vandy again....but when the big boys come to town it'll be a different story. If anyone thinks Texas A&M, LSU, FSU, UGA, South Carolina, Michigan, or Tennessee is just going to roll over for us....well, you're F'ing crazy. People suggesting we win 9 games (regular season), please tell me who we DON'T lose to. All those teams I listed are potential losses. Also, Kentucky, Vandy, and Missouri aren't going to roll over either...like I said, we will probably out-talent those teams.

It's a sad state of affairs around here. The only hope is that Franks turns out to be a star in the making. If he's a dud....and Trask is a dud....we're done. We'll know right out of the gate if this team is any good when we watch the Michigan game....just like last year, we all knew, when it was 10-7 going into the 4th quarter vs. UMass. There's a lot of blame to hand out, but at the end of the day McElwain is failing. He needed to replace several coaches on this staff and he's failed to do it. I check "coachingticker" daily and see dozens of other schools making moves - and yet - NOTHING about UF making a hire. It's inexcusable and piss poor management.
I don't discount anything above, and agree with most of it - we just choose to envision a different future for next season. You see 7 losses (maybe worse?) and I see 3 losses, maybe even 2 (at best). We won't really know until it happens.
I also agree that the bigger issue is not next years record, but the future of the program, and that's not trending up as we would hope, and that's on the coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.