Fake News: Locksley inks deal with UF

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The offense is a complete unknown. If all the sudden it takes off, we should have a pretty good season next year. However nothing has shown us over the last couple years that that's even a remote possibility. If the offense doesn't take off, then the defense will get absolutely carved. We just don't have enough guys on the D line and our defensive backfield will consist of freshman because of the abomination in DB recruiting last year.

The only positive regarding our defense is that a ton of guys got reps last year. Which means they're not going to be noobs.

I think you're off here a little bit. I'm confident Gardner will be an all conference player for us at some point. He's the real deal.
Lenton and Taylor are an unknown, but you might be on to something with the Burnett and the Williamson kid. The back end
is really the least of my worries on defense next year. I see Duke and Chauncey at the corners to start with Marcel and Washington at safety.
Maybe Blades or Wilson wins a job allowing us to play duke at nickel, like he did all season. By 2018 I expect Chauncey to take over at safety with Wilson and Blades the starting corners.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont care how good you are, as a true freshman playing corner in the SEC, its gonna be ugly. If we have true freshman at those positions we are going to get murdered through the air.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're off here a little bit. I'm confident Gardner will be an all conference player for us at some point. He's the real deal.
Lenton and Taylor are an unknown, but you might be on to something with the Burnett and the Williamson kid. The back end
is really the least of my worries on defense next year. I see Duke and Chauncey at the corners to start with Marcel and Washington at safety.
Maybe Blades or Wilson wins a job allowing us to play duke at nickel, like he did all season. By 2018 I expect Chauncey to take over at safety with Wilson and Blades the starting corners.
I think they'd rather have Chauncey at nickel.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't discount anything above, and agree with most of it - we just choose to envision a different future for next season. You see 7 losses (maybe worse?) and I see 3 losses, maybe even 2 (at best). We won't really know until it happens.
I also agree that the bigger issue is not next years record, but the future of the program, and that's not trending up as we would hope, and that's on the coach.

Bart, I don't see 7 losses...because anything can happen. But there is potential for up to 7 (more if Missouri or SC or whomever brings their A game that day - remember, we only beat Vandy 13-6 and barely escaped 9-7 the year before). I'm just pointing out that those suggesting we go 9-3 or 8-4 are just shooting from the hip.

We may not see a "significant" drop off from our D, but our D played like sh*t against the good teams. Did they get worn out? Who knows, but FSU, Bama, Arkansas, and Tennessee made our D look average....and that was w/ 4 or 5 1st round draft picks in the lineup and we lose those guys. So to post on here, "we'll be just fine on D!" is just crazy.

Like I said, our only hope for a "good" season is if the QB pans out and we show improvement on that side of the ball. I think people will be fine going 8-4 if we lose to FSU 24-21 and give them all we've got....or lose to LSU 17-16 and give them all we have....or lose to UGA 31-27 in a nail-biter. But if we get blown out repeatedly, like we have the last two years, it's going to be "wash, rinse, repeat" over and over. Most of us non-pumpers are tired of the blowouts and the overall direction of the program.

This thread is about Locksley and it was allegedly a done deal. Saban kyboshed that apparently. This coach needs to get his sh*t together. Again, why is Nord still on this staff? He can't recruit and the positions he coaches are piss-poor. It's inexcusable we're halfway into January and he's made no changes. Our offensive staff has produced two consecutive 100+ ranked offenses and he's made ZERO changes. Like I said before, he's writing his own ticket out of town.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Are there facts that show UF isn't competitive in paying Asst Coaches? USAToday did a report on 2016 Assistant Coach compensation, and I put the top 10 in a spreadsheet. Looking only at guaranteed Salaries, UF is #10, BUT we're essentially tied at #6 with Tennessee ($15K more), Texas ($15K), Ohio State ($52K), and FSU ($55K). UGA is #5 and pays $144K more.

When you look at Salaries plus Maximum Bonuses (which I'd argue is what really matters), UF is #7 and ahead of A&M ($374K less), FSU ($660K), and Tennessee ($1,400,000). Gonna try to post images here.

Asst Sal Only.PNG

Asst Salaries.PNG

FYI, LSU's includes 11 coaches based on the firings, but I included a whopping $1,336,00 for Cam Cameron. Take that out and LSU looks less favorable.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Aren't we all?

No. If you look at it without O&B glasses you'll see we are losing 8 or so starters off of a D that struggled against the "good" teams. And we are placing those starters w/ young guys and we have no depth at DT. That's looking at it objectively and not "shooting from the hip". If this was the 90's you could say "we'll win at least 9 games next year" because we trusted the coach. You can't do that with this guy because for every 2 or 3 wins there's a blowout loss. You can also look at the QB situation and make an objective comment vs. "shooting from the hip" and saying "oh, we'll win 9 or 10 games next year".

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I dont care how good you are, as a true freshman playing corner in the SEC, its gonna be ugly. If we have true freshman at those positions we are going to get murdered through the air.

It's the SEC, the forward pass is a foreign concept to a lot of teams :lol:

That said, I'd still rather not start freshmen at DB. Hopefully Dawson steps up and Gardner can take the other.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Are there facts that show UF isn't competitive in paying Asst Coaches? USAToday did a report on 2016 Assistant Coach compensation, and I put the top 10 in a spreadsheet. Looking only at guaranteed Salaries, UF is #10, BUT we're essentially tied at #6 with Tennessee ($15K more), Texas ($15K), Ohio State ($52K), and FSU ($55K). UGA is #5 and pays $144K more.

When you look at Salaries plus Maximum Bonuses (which I'd argue is what really matters), UF is #7 and ahead of A&M ($374K less), FSU ($660K), and Tennessee ($1,400,000). Gonna try to post images here.

FYI, LSU's includes 11 coaches based on the firings, but I included a whopping $1,336,00 for Cam Cameron. Take that out and LSU looks less favorable.
Thanks for collating and posting the info!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It's the SEC, the forward pass is a foreign concept to a lot of teams :lol:

That said, I'd still rather not start freshmen at DB. Hopefully Dawson steps up and Gardner can take the other.
Haden started as a true freshman CB in 2007. Major Wright also started as a true freshman Safety in 2007. We also had some growing pains!

"They still have nightmares about Michigan quarterback Chad Henne's taking target practice to the tune of 373 passing yards and three touchdowns in a 41-35 victory over Florida in the Capital One Bowl." http://www.espn.com/college-football/preview09/news/story?id=4411980

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think blades going to get one CB spot. And Wilson the other. Gardner is going to play nickel. And Dawson will spell them.

I thought Duke would be much better than he's been. But in all honestly he's probably more of a safety. I think Gardener is basically a safety that can play corner in a pinch.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think blades going to get one CB spot. And Wilson the other. Gardner is going to play nickel. And Dawson will spell them.

I thought Duke would be much better than he's been. But in all honestly he's probably more of a safety. I think Gardener is basically a safety that can play corner in a pinch.
True freshman playing cornerback :gah:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True freshman playing cornerback :gah:
CB is one of the easiest positions for true freshmen to contribute especially if they only have to play man. People on here were pissed that we weren't playing a freshman at QB, CB is somehow taboo?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CB is one of the easiest positions for true freshmen to contribute especially if they only have to play man. People on here were pissed that we weren't playing a freshman at QB, CB is somehow taboo?

If we have 2 of them there are going to be some massive growing pains next year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Any regular dumped-on pumpers notice that some downers are pumping 2017 UGa, UK, Missouri,
Vandy against UF?

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get all the negativity regarding bad news about missed coaching hires, recruiting fails and all (I've been following along pretty closely the past few days and I'm just SMH at the failures) but I just don't get why people think next year's gonna be a dumpster fire. Sure, we're losing a lot on D, but we also got quite a few young guys some valuable experience toward the end of the season and in the bowl game; and we now have Shannon at the helm, who runs a more aggressive D. So, maybe some drop off on D, but I don't think too drastic. The offense, while statistically IS a dumpster fire, brings back just about everyone (except Sharpe/Dillard/Fullwood), and the consensus is that those vacancies create automatic upgrades). All offensive positions should see an uptick and hopefully Mac chooses to start Frask in the opener. We have 7 home games, 2 neutrals, and our away games are KY, Mizzou and USCe. I have no reason to believe we're gonna lose to any of the teams we beat last year and UT is losing a lot of players as well.
I guess I should get clarification on what y'all think is a dumpster fire season. Crete said 8-4 would be, but it would be good enough to keep Mac. 4-8 is obviously a dumpster fire and Mac would be gone for sure. I kind of agree with Crete - 8-4 is not good enough, but Mac would still be here for another year - then let the dumpster fire talk for season #4 begin. I just don't see it for season 3. Of course, I'm a glass half-full guy though. :bandit:
:drunk:
While we will be behind, I think we make some headway. I like to think Mac's identified some diamonds in the rough...some 3's that should be 4's....so our recruiting is not horrendous as it seems by the 'pundits'.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm afraid the new AD is another Foley and he ain't willing to shell out top $$ for assistant coaches. I think Mac is getting a 4th year regardless of record and yeah that includes 4-8. Unless there's some kind of scandal that comes out against Mac next year, he's safe for another year. Hate it all y'all want, the new AD is just Foley's pawn. THIS SUCKS!!!!
Are you stepping up to pony up the money? The trends are not in the favor of spending more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator